The Port

This is what happens after a world ends.
 
HomeGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Lady Dandy's Dilemma

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
overeddie

avatar

Posts : 242
Join date : 2009-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:35 pm

"Clearly only the poor will be harmed from the mass hysteria caused by superstitious fantasies."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:20 pm

"Is crude technique when compared with elegant sophistication of Gith magecraft, but does job. Not to be proud of, mind."

overeddie wrote:
"Clearly only the poor will be harmed from the mass hysteria caused by superstitious fantasies."

Pætros nods, happily enough. "As is usual. Excellent time for prosthelytize! Pig will make protection from booger-man spirits, worshippers come running!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:03 pm

overeddie wrote:
"Clearly only the poor will be harmed from the mass hysteria caused by superstitious fantasies."
"So it was hysteria you did battle with earlier this evening in the Quadrille?" asks Titus contemptuously, but only after making sure the six veteran Bailiffs are waiting just beyond the library door.

Rolzup wrote:
"Is crude technique when compared with elegant sophistication of Gith magecraft, but does job."
"You're a Gith? Then you hail from far out in the Aster then, past even Enkiil Isle". There is a hint of worry in Titus's voice, though perhaps it's only for fear of sounding provincial. By Pætros's reckoning, the island of vampires is a stone's throw from the Port.

"I shall now present my findings to Lord Dandy, and then you can be about your business. Lady Larkspur, I pronounce you as fit and fair as always, the very finest flower of the aristocracy. But should you feel in any way... awry, call for me immediately. I am at your command."

"Oh brother" opines the raven.

"Hush Lazlo. How would you like to spend another century on retainer?"

The raven doesn't reply.

"Will you be staying with us, Master Titus?" asks Larkspur.

"For a brief time, even as your kind count things, m'lady."

You gather again in the entrance hall of the Vivarium. Magister Titus gives his report, then quickly leaves. He can't quite keep the disappointment out of his voice. Lord Dandy expresses his profuse thanks, which consists of two entire sentences, then remands the mask back into Artichoke's care.

"I shall remember the events of this night and think about you favorably" is all he says with regard to a reward. Neither does he offer you an escort of his Bailiffs on the way to Lord Lively's current posting in Rumcastle.

OOC: is there anything else you want to do with Lord Dandy? Rolls you'd care to make? Should we move on?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
overeddie

avatar

Posts : 242
Join date : 2009-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:09 pm

Mallus wrote:
"So it was hysteria you did battle with earlier this evening in the Quadrille?" asks Titus contemptuously, but only after making sure the six veteran Bailiffs are waiting just beyond the library door.
Mere fantasias. In the short time I've been a comrade of Chokey's we've battled many so-called "magical" beings and we've even journeyed into an old guys head. And every time we come up against "magic" we win. You know why? Cause it's not real. It's a very simple deduction actually."

OOC: I'm done!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:29 pm

OOC: Just a few farewells and off to Lively.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:41 pm

OOC: Nothing further, your honor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:05 pm

Before they go see the ritual...

gridley wrote:
Odanais takes Artichoke aside and says, "Captain, I apologize for interrupting you earlier, but I beg you to please consider how much your words can destroy the lives of both Larkspur and her sisters. Lord Dandy is a fine and just magistrate, but as a father he keeps a dangerous chokehold on his daughters. If you reveal the secrets that she has been so careful to keep, he will only tighten that grip on all of them. Eventually, to escape his control, they will take far greater risks even then Larkspur has already taken. Drugs, degradation, even suicide. By setting Dandy against his daughters now, you could be forging dark times indeed for all of them."

Odanais looks over to Dandy and Larkspur, then back to Artichoke. "Our risk is small in this, her's is great. Please show her the compassion she is paying us for."

Artichoke looks at Odanais with genuine curiosity. Then he replies quietly, "How do you know so much about what goes on in this household - or think you do? Are you sure spending what little time we have with Larkspur hasn't ... affected your judgement in some way? She seems fairly good at gaining sympathy."

He shrugs. "Not that it matters much. I don't see any signs that she's living the horrible life you think she is, and letting Lord Dandy know the truth would hardly be setting them against each other. For all we know, he already knows the truth. Anyway, for now I'll hold off on sharing any more with him. But I'll be honest - if it comes down to having to explicitly lie to Lord Dandy on Larkspur's behalf, as you have, I won't. I really don't think it's necessary, and I'd rather be in his good books than hers ... though I doubt we'll have to make that choice."

Quote :
You gather again in the entrance hall of the Vivarium. Magister Titus gives his report, then quickly leaves. He can't quite keep the disappointment out of his voice. Lord Dandy expresses his profuse thanks, which consists of two entire sentences, then remands the mask back into Artichoke's care.

"I shall remember the events of this night and think about you favorably" is all he says with regard to a reward. Neither does he offer you an escort of his Bailiffs on the way to Lord Lively's current posting in Rumcastle.

When Titus reveals what they discovered, Artichoke frowns thoughtfully. The spirit of a vampire queen possibly free in the city? That's ... not good. Especially since we got involved with the mask. Maybe I should visit that blood salesman guy we met near the Hereafter and ask him if he knows anything about it.

He does not, however, say anything other than replying to Lord Dandy, "I was pleased to be of service. Please let me know if we can be of more help in the future." He adds a respectful nod to Larkspur, figuring Odanais will do any talking that needs to be.

Quote :
OOC: is there anything else you want to do with Lord Dandy? Rolls you'd care to make? Should we move on?

Nope. On to Rumcastle to deliver the mask - or at least that's what we'll try to do.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:35 am

You arrive in the Rumcastle District an hour after dawn, via one of the many water taxis that can be found along Gallowsbird between Rat St. and Glim Road. They run all night, saving revelers trip through the Shambles during the middle of the night.

The air smells of wood fire smoke from the famous distilleries, which run all night too, turning the cane sugar imported from the Snake States into the district's namesake libation. You follow Castillo Road, avoiding the crowds and potential for casual violence to be found even at breakfast time in the Captain's Court, the great celebration of public inequity continually taking place in front of the front gates of Rumcastle Fort.

Your destination is not the towering fortress. The government offices haven't been located there since Lord Rum's Rebellion, when Lord Rum surrounded the entire place with dry wood and bagasse and then set it on fire. Within an hour he had distilled the few dozen of the Magistrates men holed up there into a clear trickle of sweet surrender. The rest died from smoke inhalation. Nowadays the Magisterial Offices are housed in two unassuming buildings behind Rumcastle Fort on Brinley Lane, right on the docks, with easy access to a quick escape by sea, should the need arise.

A mass of Lively's smartly-uniformed Bailiffs loiter in the street in front of the buildings, most eating beignets and drinking coffee. Some, you notice, loiter in partially concealed positions on the roofs ideal for sniping. Rumcastle is a place of many old and colorful traditions.

OOC: how do you approach?


Last edited by Mallus on Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:59 am

Mallus wrote:
You arrive in the Rumcastle District a few hours before dawn.

...

I hadn't realized it would be that late when we get there. Could we possibly change things around so that we head home, get some rest, and make it to Rumcastle an hour or two after sunrise?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
overeddie

avatar

Posts : 242
Join date : 2009-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:05 am

Yeah, I need a nap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:21 am

shilsen wrote:
I hadn't realized it would be that late when we get there.
Actually, I probably overestimated the travel time. You'd still arrive around 1:00 AM.

Quote :
Could we possibly change things around so that we head home, get some rest, and make it to Rumcastle an hour or two after sunrise?
Done!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:27 am

Mallus wrote:
Done!

Thanks, Scott. In that case, we'll just show up to the Magisterial Offices early in the morning and inquire for Lord Lively, explaining who we are and that we're here to deliver an item which belongs to him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:37 pm

shilsen wrote:
... we'll just show up to the Magisterial Offices early in the morning and inquire for Lord Lively, explaining who we are and that we're here to deliver an item which belongs to him.
Once you get close enough to identify, the Bailiffs are startled by your appearance. One even drops a hand to his sword before his commanding officer reprimands him. Ah, the price of fame! Once you state your business, their surprise abates, a little, and a meeting with Lord Dandy is swiftly arranged. You note that several of the Bailiffs seem discomfited by your arrival.

The meeting takes place in back of the Magisterial Offices, on a dockside gazebo, where his Lordship and a few clerks are taking their morning 'tea'. Myles Lively is not a large man, though not quite delicate, nor particularly stout. He doesn't wear beard, his hair the color of muddied flax. Perhaps that's why he compensates for his assortment of unmemorable features with oddly-cut attire in supernaturally vibrant colors. Obviously his clothiers can be found out in the depths of the Aster Sea, stitching fever dreams into diner jackets, then dyeing them with the humors of impossible animals.

The heels of his shoes, you observe, are frightfully tall. Before any of you can speak, he slugs the remainder of his Mimosa and cries, "Tell me you brought what is mine!" His eyes look red from lack of sleep, or perhaps crying.

His nervous Bailiffs seem relived as the Lord focuses his immediate attention on the League.

OOC: React! And roll things, if you care to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:18 pm

"Is here, intact, mostly," Pætros says, "Is to be assuming that blood of innocents increases value? Shame if so; people at art show innocent of nothing more than taste."

OOC: Insight 31


Last edited by Rolzup on Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:18 pm

The member 'Rolzup' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 15
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:43 pm

Rolzup wrote:
"Is here, intact, mostly,"
"Lovely!" exclaims Lord Lively. He sighs heavily. "You all shall be rewarded!. I admit, I wasn't sure Dandy would let the mask out of his grasp after it so neatly fell into... excuse me, what do you mean 'mostly'?"

There's now a glint of steel in the watery eye his Lordship fixes on Pætros.

Quote :
"Shame if so; people at art show innocent of nothing more than taste."
OOC: Very Happy

Quote :
OOC: Insight 31

Lord Lively's exaggerated manner seems largely an act, though your gut tells you the girlie drink he's drinking for breakfast is the genuine article. Also, the Bailiffs accompanying you were expecting Lively to reprimand them. You would characterize them as 'afraid'. Lastly, Lively seems surprised you are here returning the mask.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
overeddie

avatar

Posts : 242
Join date : 2009-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:49 pm

"We expected Dandy would hold on to it and we prevented that. But I suspect what he's looking for is elsewhere. How about you?" Lizzy blurts out with contempt.

Insight: 28


Last edited by overeddie on Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:49 pm

The member 'overeddie' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 19
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:50 pm

Mallus wrote:
Rolzup wrote:
"Is here, intact, mostly,"
"Lovely!" exclaims Lord Lively. He sighs heavily. "You all shall be rewarded!. I admit, I wasn't sure Dandy would let the mask out of his grasp after it so neatly fell into... excuse me, what do you mean 'mostly'?"

There's now a glint of steel in the watery eye his Lordship fixes on Pætros.

"Had to pry off of face of shameless hag, may require extensive cleaning. Recommend fire, or acid maybe."

OOC: I could go on, but surely Artichoke will cut him off before much longer....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:03 pm

overeddie wrote:
"We expected Dandy would hold on to it and we prevented that. But I suspect what he's looking for is elsewhere. How about you?" Lizzy blurts out with contempt.
"So did I, so did I. I'm quite sure Dandy shat a proverbial brick when the mask's original owner accepted my bid over his. I mean, I'm sure he would, if he actually excreted. As for me, I only want what I paid for, a thing of beauty, a joy for an indeterminate length of time.

"So is the mask badly damaged?"

Quote :
Insight: 28
Your proletariat gut tells you Lord Lively isn't sure what's really going on here, like any typically running-dog aristocrat. He's probably going to keep you talking until you reveal something he considers important.


Last edited by Mallus on Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:04 pm

Rolzup wrote:
Recommend fire, or acid maybe."
Lord Lively makes a sour face.

"Did Dandy examine the mask?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:05 am

Mallus wrote:
"Did Dandy examine the mask?"

"He did, sir," says Odanais. "Or rather his magician Titus did."

OOC: Odanais watches Lively's face closely for any reaction to this tidbit.

Insight: 11 (clearly the district's fragrant rum breeze is having some affect on his concentration)


Last edited by gridley on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:05 am

The member 'gridley' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 3
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
overeddie

avatar

Posts : 242
Join date : 2009-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:11 am

Mallus wrote:
As for me, I only want what I paid for, a thing of beauty, a joy for an indeterminate length of time.
"Well now you've got a safer bauble for your decadent indulgence."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:27 am

OOC: Also keeping an eye -- 27 Insight.

Pætros shakes his head. "Rebel man is not understanding. Safe is boring. Peoples crave excitement and wonder and such."

The Procophant takes a step forward. "Worshiping splendid Pig-God is excellent way to make life more interesting," he says in a conspiratorial tone that carries throughout the room. "All excitement one could ever want, all in one big porcine package."


Last edited by Rolzup on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   

Back to top Go down
 
Lady Dandy's Dilemma
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Titleist Lady Cap
» Lady Aztecs FC03 - Open Spots
» Dead Heat in US Champs Women's 100m creates Olympic dilemma
» Who likes Korean lady golfers????
» Lady Aztecs '05 - CFBAL vs. DIAL

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Port :: The Game Itself :: Tales-
Jump to: