The Port

This is what happens after a world ends.
 
HomeGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Lady Dandy's Dilemma

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:57 am

shilsen wrote:
Artichoke frowns inwardly, not certain if Odanais mentioning that Larkspur was possessed by an evil spirit is such a good thing, but keeps his face outwardly placid. On the bright side, he thinks, it hopefully makes Lord Dandy think more positively of the group. Unable to work out whether Larkspur would like them to share why she was at the gallery or not, Artichoke mulls it over for a few seconds and then makes a decision. As far as he's concerned, being in Lord Dandy's good graces is much more important than keeping his daughter happy. And it's not as if he's about to share much - unless asked.

"As my companion explained," Artichoke says, "Luckily we were there to deal with the situation. Of course, it's unfortunate that when Lady Larkspur asked us to meet her it was there rather than some other place, but there was--"

"Captain!" interrupts Odanais, stepping in between Artichoke and Dandy, "You make it sound like it was a formal invitation!"

Odanais, forcing his face into one of calm embarassment, turns to Dandy. "We happened to run into your lovely daughter on the street this evening and she mentioned that there was an interesting exhibit opening at Made tonight. I'm afraid my socially-inexperienced companion here thought it was something more than a pleasant exchange of information, but between you and I, he has entertained many a strange notion in the past."

Bluff: 28


Last edited by gridley on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:57 am

The member 'gridley' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 10
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:59 am

"Young lady's soul should be safe," Pætros adds helpfully, "But if exorcism needed, send messenger. We have ways."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:02 pm

gridley wrote:
Fortunately, we were able to remove the mask before it killed her as it promptly did its second host."
"Then I am greater in your debt than I first realized." Lord Dandy appears sincere, but it would be easier to tell if his voice carried even trace amounts of emotion.

gridely wrote:
"Unfortunately nearly a score of art lovers were killed in the conflict before we managed to defeat the Petitioner and her cronies."
"That is unfortunate. Console yourselves that you did the important work, saving my daughter."

gridely wrote:
"Lord Choke's men arrived on the scene after the fact and we left them to clean up the mess while escorted your daughter home."
"Where there other survivors? Did Bartholomew's men get the them? On second thought, it's probably best not to know. Lord Doctor Choke has certain... unhealthy interests, but his business is his own."

gridley wrote:
"We happened to run into your lovely daughter on the street this evening and she mentioned that there was an interesting exhibit opening at Made tonight. I'm afraid my socially-inexperienced companion here thought it was something more than a pleasant exchange of information, but between you and I, he has entertained many a strange notion in the past."

Bluff: 28
"Formal, informal, it matters not. My youngest daughter is safe" says Lord Dandy.

As Lord Dandy finishes, a tall, ageless Eladrin man in robes with a preternaturally-alert raven perched on his thin shoulder enters the room. He wears a smoky glass orb on a long chain around his neck. The raven looks from face to face, starting with Lark. Before Dandy can introduce him, the Eladrin says "I am the Magister Titus, and this --indicating the raven-- is my lawyer, Lazlo. He warrants no honorific".

Lord Dandy glances at Titus. Turning to Artichoke he says, "You have the Mask of Cybelle in your possession, correct? We must confirm that it no longer poses any danger, and that Larkspur is completely free of it's influence. Titus?" Lord Dandy makes no remark on the Magister's seeming impertinence.

Magister Titus's gaze first falls on whoever is carrying the Mask, then to Larkspur.

Rolzup wrote:
Insight: 36
OOC: Insight crit!!!

As the scene plays out, several things occur to the Porcophant, rising up out of the deep sea of intuition within him...

... Lord Dandy realized Larkspur lied to him about her plans for the evening.

... He seems accustomed, or perhaps resigned, to not having much control over her behavior.

... Lord Dandy is sincere in his concern for Larkspur. He also sounds... disappointed, somehow.

... Lord Dandy, whose compose is legendary, was surprised for a moment as Odanais described the attack by the mask.

... Larkspur likewise seemed surprised by the appearance of Magister Titus. However, she clearly recognizes him and his lawyer.

... the tone of Lord Dandy's voice indicates he's familiar with the Mask.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:11 pm

shilsen wrote:
Finding the surviving Petitioners who we fought (Scott, which ones got away?
Sanction and Scorn. You killed the one in charge, Subtle (who proved not to be, once you made her angry).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:03 pm

overeddie wrote:
Lizzy bites his tongue, suppressing his ideology for the sake of the business at hand, but his disgust at the opulent surroundings is obvious. He also, not trusting her, keeps a close eye on Lark.

Perception: 24
Insight: 18
OOC: oops - missed this.

Lizzie bites his tongue and tastes the good, honest blood of the working class. He notices a few things about Lark...

... she wasn't quite as upset as she let out while talking about the mask attacking her. She was playing it up a bit.

... when her father mentioned Magister Titus, Lark glanced quickly toward the door leading outside. Titus appeared from an interior door.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:34 pm

gridley wrote:
"Captain!" interrupts Odanais, stepping in between Artichoke and Dandy, "You make it sound like it was a formal invitation!"

...

Mallus wrote:
"Formal, informal, it matters not. My youngest daughter is safe" says Lord Dandy.

Artichoke colors slightly at the interruption, but then says nothing. I'm probably going to have to come back and explain the real circumstances of our meeting at some point.

Quote :
As Lord Dandy finishes, a tall, ageless Eladrin man in robes with a preternaturally-alert raven perched on his thin shoulder enters the room. He wears a smoky glass orb on a long chain around his neck. The raven looks from face to face, starting with Lark. Before Dandy can introduce him, the Eladrin says "I am the Magister Titus, and this --indicating the raven-- is my lawyer, Lazlo. He warrants no honorific".

Lord Dandy glances at Titus. Turning to Artichoke he says, "You have the Mask of Cybelle in your possession, correct? We must confirm that it no longer poses any danger, and that Larkspur is completely free of it's influence. Titus?" Lord Dandy makes no remark on the Magister's seeming impertinence.

Magister Titus's gaze first falls on whoever is carrying the Mask, then to Larkspur.


Artichoke studies the new arrival curiously and then, at Lord Dandy's words, reaches into his backpack and pulls out a carefully wrapped mask. "Here it is. I hope it won't be damaged in any way, since I promised to deliver it to Lord Lively." He then extends it to Titus.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:15 pm

shilsen wrote:
I hope it won't be damaged in any way, since I promised to deliver it to Lord Lively."
After a brief pause Lord Dandy says, "If the Mask poses no threat to Lord Lively's safety, you shall be free to do so. If not, other arrangements will be made. I can't have you delivering a lethal object to the Lord's estate. Such an act can be... misinterpreted."

Quote :
He then extends it to Titus.
The Magister takes accepts the Mask, gingerly unwrapping a section, careful not to let any of his flesh touch the mask's surface. The raven watches with great curiosity. "It's beautiful isn't it, Lazlo? Look at the way the mouth seems to hunger for blood --something it shares with your profession, eh?". The raven chooses not to dignify Titus's quip with a reply.

"It is no forgery. This is the Mask of Cybelle the 3rd, once Queen of Enkiil Isle. It seems quiescent enough, but I shall have to perform the proper rituals, to be sure. Your Lordship, my I have one hour and say half of dozen of your least squeamish Bailiffs?"

Lord Dandy nods. Titus and the Bailiffs withdraw through the door he came through. "Larkspur, go with Magister Titus. He'll look you over before you retire for the evening. The rest of you are welcome to await the outcome of Titus's arcana in my sitting room. The house staff will at your disposal."


Last edited by Mallus on Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
overeddie

avatar

Posts : 242
Join date : 2009-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:22 pm

Lizzy whispers to Artichoke, "Chokey, you're just going to let that bastard walk off with the mask and that girl after we shed so much blood to get it? What the fuck? Why not just hand over our dicks while we're at it? We should be going with him."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:29 pm

Mallus wrote:
"It is no forgery. This is the Mask of Cybelle the 3rd, once Queen of Enkiil Isle. It seems quiescent enough, but I shall have to perform the proper rituals, to be sure. Your Lordship, my I have one hour and say half of dozen of your least squeamish Bailiffs?"

"Male bailiffs would be best," adds Odanais. "The mask has demonstrated a clear preference for female hosts."

Mallus wrote:
Lord Dandy nods. Titus and the Bailiffs withdraw through the door he came through. "Larkspur, go with Magister Titus. He'll look you over before you retire for the evening. The rest of you are welcome to await the outcome of Titus's arcana in my sitting room. The house staff will at your disposal."

"Yes, sire, that would be lovely," says Odanais.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:43 pm

gridley wrote:
"Male bailiffs would be best," adds Odanais. "The mask has demonstrated a clear preference for female hosts."
All the Bailiffs accompanying Titus stop short. One addresses Lord Dandy in a clear contralto. "Sir?"

"Get me six veteran men from the Gatehouse barracks Lillienne. Then you and your squad take the night off" says Dandy. It is at this point you realize none of the household staff is male.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:13 pm

Mallus wrote:
"Get me six veteran men from the Gatehouse barracks Lillienne. Then you and your squad take the night off" says Dandy. It is at this point you realize none of the household staff is male.

As Lord Dandy speaks with his staff, Odanais attempts to catch they eye of Larkspur. If successful, he silently mouths the words, "Be careful."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
overeddie

avatar

Posts : 242
Join date : 2009-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:18 pm

gridley wrote:
As Lord Dandy speaks with his staff, Odanais attempts to catch they eye of Larkspur. If successful, he silently mouths the words, "Be careful."

"Oh get a room already."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:23 pm

"Am thinking," Pætros says carefully, "That drink is called for. Usually is, but tonight more than usual."

The spirit-pig, which vanished some point before entering the estate, pokes its head out from under a table and offers a snuffled agreement.

"Must ask, though: Is bird usually being lawyer?" Pætros settles into a plush armchair with a contended sigh. "Is carrion bird, yes, so appropriate...but still seem odd."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:30 pm

Rolzup wrote:
The spirit-pig, which vanished some point before entering the estate, pokes its head out from under a table and offers a snuffled agreement.

Zappa slips out of Odanais' backpack and flips her lithe body acrobatically to the floor, then scurries over to investigate the spirit-pig with a series of sniffs and chirps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:34 pm

gridley wrote:
"Be careful."
This elicits a quick laugh from Larkspur, as if to say 'I am in my father's house, surrounded by his men, plus his magician and his magician's legal counsel. What could possibly happen?'.

overeddie wrote:
"Oh get a room already."
OOC: How loudly does Lizzie say this?

Quote :
"Am thinking," Pætros says carefully, "That drink is called for. Usually is, but tonight more than usual."
A stout servant woman of middle years siddles up to the Porcophant. "We have water, wine, and several good brandies... your... Grace?"

OOC: is anyone going to try to attend Titus's ritual?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:51 pm

Mallus wrote:

This elicits a quick laugh from Larkspur, as if to say 'I am in my father's house, surrounded by his men, plus his magician and his magician's legal counsel. What could possibly happen?'.

Odanais allows a look of concern to cross his face. Thinking for a moment, he steps forward to speak quietly to Lord Dandy.

"Sire, as I'm sure you suspect, I have some small expertise in arcane matters and, of course, bore witness to the mask's earlier deadly antics. If it should please you, I would very much like to observe the rituals Magister Titus is about to perform, both for my own edification and on the odd chance that I may offer further advice or precaution."

Bluff: 32


Last edited by gridley on Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:51 pm

The member 'gridley' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 14
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:13 pm

overeddie wrote:
Lizzy whispers to Artichoke, "Chokey, you're just going to let that bastard walk off with the mask and that girl after we shed so much blood to get it? What the fuck? Why not just hand over our dicks while we're at it? We should be going with him."

Artichoke calmly replies softly, "She is Lord Dandy's daughter, you know. As for the mask, I presume we'll get it back. But since you're concerned about it..."

Quote :
Odanais allows a look of concern to cross his face. Thinking for a moment, he steps forward to speak quietly to Lord Dandy.

"Sire, as I'm sure you suspect, I have some small expertise in arcane matters and, of course, bore witness to the mask's earlier deadly antics. If it should please you, I would very much like to observe the rituals Magister Titus is about to perform, both for my own edification and on the odd chance that I may offer further advice or precaution."

Artichoke waits for Odanais to finish and adds smoothly, "Lord Dandy, since my companions and I have already encountered - and dealt with - the mask's power, it might be safer to have some of us accompanying Titus. Odanais, for one, and Lizzy here too." He looks at Christabel and Pætros thoughtfully and then says, "Perhaps you too, Pætros?" There is only the faintest tinge of a hopeful note to his voice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:51 pm

Odanais takes Artichoke aside and says, "Captain, I apologize for interrupting you earlier, but I beg you to please consider how much your words can destroy the lives of both Larkspur and her sisters. Lord Dandy is a fine and just magistrate, but as a father he keeps a dangerous chokehold on his daughters. If you reveal the secrets that she has been so careful to keep, he will only tighten that grip on all of them. Eventually, to escape his control, they will take far greater risks even then Larkspur has already taken. Drugs, degradation, even suicide. By setting Dandy against his daughters now, you could be forging dark times indeed for all of them."

Odanais looks over to Dandy and Larkspur, then back to Artichoke. "Our risk is small in this, her's is great. Please show her the compassion she is paying us for."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:57 pm

gridley wrote:
Zappa slips out of Odanais' backpack and flips her lithe body acrobatically to the floor, then scurries over to investigate the spirit-pig with a series of sniffs and chirps.

The pig greets her happily, so far as one can determine a spirit-swine's emotional state, with snortings and snufflings and wiggling her body about. Pætros grimaces. "Yes, yes, cozen up to cylindrical rat. Will turn on it sooner or later, do not doubt. Accurséd pig...."

Mallus wrote:

Quote :
"Am thinking," Pætros says carefully, "That drink is called for. Usually is, but tonight more than usual."
A stout servant woman of middle years siddles up to the Porcophant. "We have water, wine, and several good brandies... your... Grace?"

OOC: is anyone going to try to attend Titus's ritual?

If that is indeed an option, then Pætros will, happily, with a brandy in one hand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
overeddie

avatar

Posts : 242
Join date : 2009-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:58 pm

Mallus wrote:
overeddie wrote:
"Oh get a room already."
OOC: How loudly does Lizzie say this?

OOC: Oh, you know, loud enough--wtf.

Lizzy, convinced there is some double-dealing going on here, gladly offers to attend the ritual. Especially since he doesn't actually belisve in rituals.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:02 pm

shilsen wrote:
Artichoke waits for Odanais to finish and adds smoothly, "Lord Dandy, since my companions and I have already encountered - and dealt with - the mask's power, it might be safer to have some of us accompanying Titus. Odanais, for one, and Lizzy here too." He looks at Christabel and Pætros thoughtfully and then says, "Perhaps you too, Pætros?" There is only the faintest tinge of a hopeful note to his voice.
Lord Dandy gives Lizzie and Odanais a bemused look --or perhaps that's just projection?-- before addressing Artichoke. "You saved my daughter, and as you say, you've dealt with the mask. Do as you will. But understand should Titus conclude the mask is still dangerous, I will not allow you to deliver it to Lively's, as amusing a proposition as that may be". Titus say nothing, but his gaze shoots athames into Odanais.

An uncomfortable quarter of an hour passes. Brandy is served to religious leaders, icy glares are exchanged, aging male Bailiffs arrive, and quoth the Magister's raven something that sounds suspiciously like 'tort reform'.

Titus conducts the rituals in a small first floor library, equipped with a sturdy teak table and no less than three large fireplaces. Magical diagrams are drawn, censors filled with incense, and much to Pætros's delight a lump of pork fat is set on fire. Lights flicker within the Magister's orb. The raven, for what's worth, looks nonplussed.

Titus conducts three rituals. The first simply detects magic, which reveals the mask is still enchanted. The second, involving the smoldering lard, is harder to decipher. Titus says the mask is still a 'potent vessel' and that Larkspur is 'free of any undue influence'. The last doesn't appear to be a ritual at all. Titus appears to tempt the mask with a quantity of blood, which Lord Dandy seemed to have on hand.

Titus proclaims the mask to be safe, the spirit of Cybelle the Vampire Queen is dispatched. Or perhaps free.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:14 pm

Mallus wrote:
Titus proclaims the mask to be safe, the spirit of Cybelle the Vampire Queen is dispatched. Or perhaps free.

"I'm sorry, " says Odanais, "did you just say FREE? Is that what you would classify as a likely possibility?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:25 pm

gridley wrote:
"I'm sorry, " says Odanais, "did you just say FREE? Is that what you would classify as a likely possibility?"
"It is one of two possibilities, yes" says the Magister irritably, "And such a shame..." Titus seems to catch himself before continuing "... if she is free, for those in the Port who lack for powerful warding charms."

The raven clearly croaks "Who's liable?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   

Back to top Go down
 
Lady Dandy's Dilemma
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Similar topics
-
» TO all lady golfer....
» Titleist Lady Cap
» Lady Aztecs FC03 - Open Spots
» Dead Heat in US Champs Women's 100m creates Olympic dilemma
» Who likes Korean lady golfers????

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Port :: The Game Itself :: Tales-
Jump to: