The Port

This is what happens after a world ends.
 
HomeGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Lady Dandy's Dilemma

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:31 am

The member 'gridley' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 4
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:50 pm

shilsen wrote:
Moving on is fine, presumably to the Rum Bunch, as you suggested.

BTW, what sort of IC info do our PCs have about them?
The "Rum Bunch" is the colloquial name for the richest, most influential of the living descendants of the original Lord Rum, who was killed by the God of Temperance around half a century ago, more-or-less, which is a common thing to say when discussion the passage of time in the Port. They are said to run the Rumcastle District, largely through a series of inheritable contracts established by their forefather which grant them several monopolies related to liquor manufacture, distribution and shipping in general. Lord Rum was a good smuggler, great swordsman, and peerless businessman.

By now Rum's legitimate offspring and various bastards number in the hundreds. The "Rum Bunch" represent, at most, a few dozen of the most ambitious social climbers among them, determined to force, steal, or cajole their way into the ranks of the aristocracy, which involves a formal recognition by the Governor. Seeing as Lord Rum attempted to overthrow the Governor, this will, of course never happen, but children often feel driven to do the thing that would most vex one or more of their parents.

The Rum Bunch spend their days scheming, gaming, and drinking in and around Rumcastle, frequently in the large plaza called the Captain's Court. The seek advantage. By reputation they're fond of both flattery, bribery and violence, not neccessarily in that order, which says something about their general level of competence.

Some of their names include: Rudolfo, Iyago, Federico, Cassio, Roderigo, Giada, Giancarlo, Paulo, Estrella, Emmeliana.

Rolzup wrote:
"Don't know city, but can cast divinations. Doing so in presence of Pig-God should help make easier, maybe better."
"With a god on your side, how can you fail? I'm edging closer to financial ruin as we speak!" asks, then exclaims Lord Lively.

gridley wrote:
Odanais comes to slowly, his eyes rolling back into place to glare at Lord Lively. "Thanks all the same, but I think we'll stick with money."
"Suit yourself. If one day you need a better currency for the transactions of your soul, come see me. I feel I could use a man like you."

gridley wrote:
"Say, what do they call that trick on the street? I remember a friend of a friend... this cat from around these parts named Armand... describing something similar."
Lord Lively begins to say "You don't mean Armand Rum, he's..." then stops himself. He smiles at Odanais, as if from on high, even though in actuality the Lord is seated in a gazebo drinking a Mimosa. "I don't believe I've ever done business with that young lordling Rum. I try to stay out of their affairs. Besides, from what I understand most of them favor more... pedestrian pleasures; wine, women, song. Well, make that 'rum, sodomy, and the lash'".

"Say, that's funny, if you do mean Armand Rum, rumor has it that he doesn't have the taste for rum. He's all for opium and wine."

OOC: Sense Motive 25

edit: Where to? You know some of the Rum Bunch can usually be found in the Captain's Court, and that young Armand Rum enjoyed the gambling dens of Kill Devil Curve, particularly one called "The Reversal of Fortune".Does anyone want to roll something?


Last edited by Mallus on Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:09 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:50 pm

The member 'Mallus' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 5
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:39 am

OOC: should I just throw you all headfirst into the next encounter?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
overeddie

avatar

Posts : 242
Join date : 2009-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:44 am

We should go to The Reversal of Fortune.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:59 am

Mallus wrote:
OOC: should I just throw you all headfirst into the next encounter?

Why not? But if it's a combat encounter (and I realize that with us any encounter might end in combat), it would probably be better to save it for Friday.

overeddie wrote:
We should go to The Reversal of Fortune.

Works for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:16 pm

"Is sorriest group of investigators ever I know," Pætros observes sourly, watching the others mill about aimlessly. "Answers not rain from sky! Is not often, at least. Behold! Pætros will show way!"

Dropping into a lotus position in the middle of the street, he produces a set of rune-carved stones from a pocket and scatters them upon the ground. With that, he begins wailing in a deeply peculiar and unpleasant tongue, interspersing his chants with porcine grunts and squeals.

Passers-by flee in terror, or watch in horrified curiosity, according to their own predilections.

At last, he clasps his hands together, and the luminsicent blue snout of an enormous ghostly pig pushes its way out of thin air.

"Attend!" Pætros snaps. "Oh transcendent Pig-god, give guidance to self, your most worthy servant. And to idiots around him."

"Should go to 'Reversal of Fortune'?"

"Should trust one who hired us?"

"Which way to one we seek?"

OOC: The ritual Hand of Fate.
When you perform the ritual, ask up to three questions about possible courses of action. A translucent blue hand appears and indicates with a gesture what the most rewarding course of action is.
If you describe courses of action that refer to directions or specific objects, then the hand points toward the choice that bears the greatest reward. If you ask the hand, “Should we head down the stairs or through the doors?” then the hand responds by pointing either to the stairs or the doors. If you ask the hand, “Which of these three levers should we pull first?” then the hand responds by pointing to a lever.
If you describe only a single course of action, the ritual assumes that inaction is your other option. The hand either beckons you (to indicate that you should proceed) or gestures for you to halt. For example, the question “Should we explore the ruins of Solitronia?” results in the hand either beckoning you or gesturing for you to halt.
The hand can’t assess events in the far future; its judgment extends only to likely events in the next hour. If the hand can’t indicate a preference, the ritual has no effect and expends no components.
There are two drawbacks to using the ritual to aid your decisions. First, fate values rewards over risk, and this ritual provides guidance accordingly. It points you toward a high risk, high reward option before pointing you toward a low risk, low reward alternative. For example, if one tunnel leads to a dragon and great wealth and the other tunnel leads back to town, then the hand points toward the dragon. However, a high risk, low reward alternative is considered less rewarding than a low risk, low reward option.
Second, the hand can choose only the most rewarding course of action relative to the alternatives provided. That doesn’t mean that the indicated choice is necessarily a good idea, only that it’s a better idea than the other options you’ve indicated. In the example above, if all three levers activate traps, then the hand points toward the lever that triggers a trap less lethal than the others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:29 pm

overeddie wrote:
We should go to The Reversal of Fortune.
OOC: Done!

Rolzup wrote:
"Should go to 'Reversal of Fortune'?"
The luminescent snout points in the direction of the street it's on; Kill Devil Curve.

Quote :
"Should trust one who hired us?"
The snout beckons, twice.

OOC: technically, you've been hired twice in the past 12 or so hours. Once to find Armand Rum, once to discover who petitioned the Petitioners to steal the Mask of Cybelle.

Quote :
"Which way to one we seek?"
The snout points back in the direction you originally came, towards the NW part of the Port and the neighborhoods of the Stagger, Five Fathoms, and the Sway

OOC: Moving on...

Situated between the two nameless alleys that run between Kill Devil Curve and Cruzan St., Reversal of Fortune is a modest, ramshackle establishment zoned for dual use, which is to say it is both a gambling and opium den. It's open when you get there. At nine in the morning. A wolfman with a gimlet eye staggers out as you enter. His hand reflexively checks his purse while his eye reflexively checks Artichokes. "G'day" he mutters. At the Reversal of Fortune everyone is welcome; Shifters, third-shifters and the shiftless.

Inside the place look's better, by virtue of being badly lit. You can make out bodies, gaming tables, everything slightly gauzy courtesy of the narcotic smoke. Against the wall several men recline on couches, watching the door. They're not just lying down, but lying down dramatically. Sprawled, akimbo, these words don't do justice. You've never seen people relaxing so emphatically before. At first you take them for far-gone addicts, but they watch the door like supine hawks, and they don't seem to have a water-pipe.

There's something of a bar, something of a bartender --part orc, perhaps?-- and a few hardy souls gathered round, either starting early or finishing late. Another bored employee runs a single gaming wheel for a passel of gamblers.


Last edited by Mallus on Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:39 pm

OOC: merged with previous post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:05 pm

Odanais asks the others to give him a few minutes alone in the joint, then slips in. He uses his recent mystic discombobulation to help him affect the manner of a habitual opium user. He scans for the room for whoever looks most likely to be selling the drugs and shuffles haphazardly in their direction, avoiding their eye contact with feigned lack of confidence.

"Hey, man," he says, drawing out his syllables with a weary of sing-song. "I was wondering if you could help me out with something. I'm trying to track down my buddy. We were supposed to make a tradeoff. I know he really needs what I've got and I have to get a hold of what he's got or some other people we know are gonna get me... and get him too probably... get both of us probably, but he's like disappeared, and I don't if he's hiding, or dead, or just forgetful. Anyway, have you seen him around lately or heard anything? Oh, right, his name's Armand. Armand Rum?"

Bluff: 19

OOC: Sigh... that magic wand hallucination dealy has really destroyed Odanais' ability to bluff.


Last edited by gridley on Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:05 pm

The member 'gridley' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 1
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:35 pm

gridley wrote:
He scans for the room for whoever looks most likely to be selling the drugs...
Odanais quickly figures out that would be the house.

gridley wrote:
... and shuffles haphazardly in their direction, avoiding their eye contact with feigned lack of confidence.
He makes his way over to the bar. The lounging men against the wall give him pause. In his Port, he would peg them as disciples of Twisted Billy, an infamous Snakes States assassin whose deadliness is only matched by his languor. "Twisted Billy can kill you with no more than a blink of an eye" is a common saying.

gridly wrote:
Oh, right, his name's Armand. Armand Rum?"
OOC: Sense Motive - 16

The half-roc raises a wary eye. The look on his scared faces softens some at the mention of Armand Rum. He says "I wouldn't worry about Armand. He's one of the Rum Bunch after all". The other patrons at the bar snicker at this. The bartender shoots them a much harder glance. "He's a good kid. A pretty big gambler but not much of user anymore. If I knew where he was I'd tell you. Fact is, the last I time I saw him was about a month ago, the night he won big here. Real big. Haven't seen him since. I suppose he's found better ways to spend his money."


Last edited by Mallus on Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:35 pm

The member 'Mallus' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 8
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:07 pm

Mallus wrote:
He makes his way over to the bar. The lounging men against the wall give him pause. In his Port, he would peg them as disciples of Twisted Billy, an infamous Snakes States assassin whose deadliness is only matched by his languor. "Twisted Billy can kill you with no more than a blink of an eye" is a common saying.

OOC: Hehe.. awesome!

Mallus wrote:
The half-roc raises a wary eye. The look on his scared faces softens some at the mention of Armand Rum. He says "I wouldn't worry about Armand. He's one of the Rum Bunch after all". The other patrons at the bar snicker at this. The bartender shoots them a much harder glance.

Odanais resists the urge to wipe his suddenly sweaty palms on his pants as the Rum Bunch laughs. He remembers all too well his last run in with Twisted Billy's boys and the feel of their cold steel pressed against his throat. He'd talked his way out of trouble that time, but just barely. And he was off his game today. That Lively character had jinxed him. Jinxed him bad. He ordered a tall, dark and handsome glass of rum, hoping to snap himself out of it.

Mallus wrote:
"He's a good kid. A pretty big gambler but not much of user anymore."

"Oh, yeah, great kid. He and his girlfriend both. Love 'em to pieces."

Mallus wrote:
"If I knew where he was I'd tell you. Fact is, the last I time I saw him was about a month ago, the night he won big here. Real big. Haven't seen him since. I suppose he's found better ways to spend his money."

"No worries, mate. Figured it was worth a try."

Odanais tips him well, downs a healthy swig of rum and settles down onto a barstool. His mind begins estimating the easiest escape routes and a few defensive deceptions should those Rum thugs make a move on him before the others arrive.

"Say," he says, calling the half-orc back. "Do you by any chance remember who Armand's bookie is? Maybe he knows where to look for him."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
overeddie

avatar

Posts : 242
Join date : 2009-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:17 pm

Lizzy paces uneasily outside. "Let's just go in there and make some druggies talk. C'mon these degenerates need a good taste of steel."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:53 pm

gridley wrote:
He and his girlfriend both. Love 'em to pieces."
"So he's found a bird, eh? Good for him."

gridley wrote:
Odanais tips him well, downs a healthy swig of rum and settles down onto a barstool.
He's relieved to find his brand of rum exists in this strange version of the Port and, comfortingly, it's just as alcoholic.

Quote :
"Do you by any chance remember who Armand's bookie is?"
The bartender looks at Odanais suspiciously for a moment. "I though Armand preferred the wheel and card games? Heh... I suppose when your name's Rum you can you don't need to stingy when it comes to vices."

overeddie wrote:
"C'mon these degenerates need a good taste of steel.
OOC: Hey, it's Conan the Apparatchik! Does Lizzie storm in and start cracking heads?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:14 pm

overeddie wrote:
Lizzy paces uneasily outside. "Let's just go in there and make some druggies talk. C'mon these degenerates need a good taste of steel."

"Or religion," Paetros opines lazily. "Have considered matter, by the way. Pig is no longer to be called 'Treasure'. Is boring. Is now 'Glorious Treasure of the Heavens, Who Tramples the Heathen Underfoot And Carries The Faithful To Paradise Upon Her Broad And Comfortable Back.' " His accent vanishes entirely as he speaks this, only to return thicker than ever with his next words.

"Should be clear: Glorious Treasure of the Heavens entirely comfortable with breaking heads of heathens. Is good exercise for faithful, and imparts valuable moral lesson at same time: Not to be fucking with servants of Glorious Treasure of the Heavens."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
overeddie

avatar

Posts : 242
Join date : 2009-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:23 pm

"I like the way you think priest."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:30 pm

Artichoke shakes his head inwardly at Lizzy and Paetros' exchange. If they weren't so damn good at their work, I'd ... well, can't be helped. And I might as well give them something to do before they get really impatient. Aloud, he says, "All right - we've given Odanais some time, so why don't we go in after him? Just nobody let on that we know him, okay? Our story is," he pauses for a moment in consideration, "That we're looking for Armand Rum regarding some money he owes a client."

As they head for the door, Artichoke adds, with little real hope, "And let's try not to kill anyone ... unless they attack us, okay?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
overeddie

avatar

Posts : 242
Join date : 2009-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:31 pm

"I'll try, but I may have to break some arms."

Lizzy bursts into the den. "All right you dirtbags, which one of you is Armand Rum?" He bellows. "We want our money."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:38 pm

overeddie wrote:
"I like the way you think priest."

"Is way of Glorious Treasure of the Heavens," Paetros says cheerfully, clapping the dwarf on his back, "Brings men of good will together for breaking of deserving heads, no matter what their difference be. Most Blessed Sacrament of Head-Breaking has ring to it, no?"

overeddie wrote:
Lizzy bursts into the den. "All right you dirtbags, which one of you is Armand Rum?" He bellows. "We want our money."

Paetros strolls in behind him, swinging his staff lazily about. The spirit-pig skips back and forth at hia side, baring its tusks and contriving to look menacing.

"Is to be listening to little man with big axe," he says cheerfully. "Is impatient, and violent, and likes to be hurting peoples. And yet, is far more kind and reasonable than self...."

OOC: Intimidate: 23


Last edited by Rolzup on Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:38 pm

The member 'Rolzup' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 14
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:35 pm

overeddie wrote:

Lizzy bursts into the den. "All right you dirtbags, which one of you is Armand Rum?" He bellows. "We want our money."
Harsh morning light and an angry dwarf spill into the Reversal of Fortune, startling three drug addicts reclining on a pair of divans near the door. Odanais recoils, thumping his knee against the bar. Much to his surprise, the leisurely men don't murder his companions. Instead, they retreat to the gaming tables in the center of the room.

"He's not here" says the half-orc tending the bar Odanais is seated in front of as he drinks a tall drink.

Rolzup wrote:
"Is to be listening to little man with big axe," he says cheerfully. "Is impatient, and violent, and likes to be hurting peoples. And yet, is far more kind and reasonable than self...."
The Porcophant is greeted by a chorus of incoherent pleading: "We... we... didn't mean it! Whatever it was. Don't hurt us! We'll pay! Is that a pig?!". A few people run for the back. One or two brave souls give the customary Rumcastle greeting; "Bugger your Mum!".

A human male at the bar stands. Even standing his has a bit of a swagger. "I'm Cassio Rum. Armand's not here. Go you ask around at Captain's Court".


Last edited by Mallus on Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:35 pm

The member 'Mallus' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 2
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Good PC, Bad PC   Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:55 pm

Mallus wrote:
A human male at the bar stands. Even standing his has a bit of a swagger. "I'm Cassio Rum. Armand's not here. Go you ask around at Captain's Court".

Artichoke looks smilingly around the bar, eyes passing over Odanais as if he'd never seen him before. When Cassio stands and speaks, he steps forward and says, still smiling, "We can see Armand isn't here. But my friends here," he indicates Paetros and Lizzy, "Are both impatient and don't take well to disappointment, so I'd really appreciate a little more help here. We wouldn't want undue violence, would we? Are you sure you can't be more specific about Armand? His life might depend on it."

OOC: Take 10 on Diplomacy for a 21
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Lady Dandy's Dilemma   

Back to top Go down
 
Lady Dandy's Dilemma
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Titleist Lady Cap
» Lady Aztecs FC03 - Open Spots
» Dead Heat in US Champs Women's 100m creates Olympic dilemma
» Who likes Korean lady golfers????
» Lady Aztecs '05 - CFBAL vs. DIAL

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Port :: The Game Itself :: Tales-
Jump to: