The Port
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Port

This is what happens after a world ends.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Godly Bunch

Go down 
+3
shilsen
Mallus
gridley
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Rolzup

Rolzup

The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 12:16 pm

gridley wrote:

Captain Screwtape studies Vox with a keen eye, then pulls a small bound book from under her sash and flips it open. "Our finest stateroom has already been booked. There are two slightly less luxurious rooms available for 100,000 gold apiece. And three smaller rooms for 50,000 apiece. Servants can travel in the cargo hold for 10,000 apiece. We leave just after sunrise tomorrow."

"There's a chance," Vox says, turning to Yatigan, "That this might be enough to actually kill Artichoke. If nothing else, the look upon his face when he recieves the bill should be worthy of an epic or three."

gridley wrote:
A mustachioed Tiefling man in sailing gear approaches behind her and loudly clears his throat.

"Ah, yes, Cuulus, thank you," she says, nodding to him. "The anonymous gentleman who chartered this journey will have to give his approval of you joining us tomorrow morning. He's very particular about whom he travels with."

"Sensible fellow," Vox agrees sourly. "Nothing worse than being stuck with an unpleasant passenger."

Is being no worry! If having problems with unpleasant peoples, Pætros will just talk LOUDER! DROWN THEM OUT!

Ignoring this, albeit with great effort, he regards Yatigan again and shrugs. "I can see when the next black ship sets sail for the Hells, but it's not likely to be timely enough. Even so, I can pull some strings, grease some palms, and arrange passage. What do you think?"
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 2:48 pm

Rolzup wrote:

"There's a chance," Vox says, turning to Yatigan, "That this might be enough to actually kill Artichoke. If nothing else, the look upon his face when he recieves the bill should be worthy of an epic or three."
"Splendid!"

Rolzup wrote:

"I can see when the next black ship sets sail for the Hells, but it's not likely to be timely enough. Even so, I can pull some strings, grease some palms, and arrange passage. What do you think?"
"Would we need to die before boarding a Black Ship? I'd prefer not to. Then again, Artichoke would be more likely to part with his mortal coil than that much gold."

Yatagan shifts his gaze from the captain to the Tiefling and back. He says "Is there no leeway in the price? Besides gold, we can provide a small amount of divine favor."

OOC: Diplomacy: 27.

Last edited by Mallus on Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 2:56 pm

(rolling)
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 2:56 pm

The member 'Mallus' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 3
Back to top Go down
https://theport.forumotion.net
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 3:17 pm

Mallus wrote:
Yatagan shifts his gaze from the captain to the Tiefling and back. He says "Is there no leeway in the price? Besides gold, we can provide a small amount of divine favor."

OOC: Diplomacy: 27.

"Not that," she Captain Screwtape, her voice becoming grim. "My god... does not..."

"Play well with others?" suggests Cuulus.

She smiles faintly at him. "Indeed."

"We apologize for the high price," says Cuulus, "but you must understand that our crew are all serving at great personal risk. They, and if not them, their families, must be properly compensated."

"Truly," she agrees. "If you can wait a month, when the seas should be safer, I'm certain you'll be able to book passage for a fraction of what we're charging now."

Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 15, 2010 4:07 pm

Mallus wrote:
"Would we need to die before boarding a Black Ship? I'd prefer not to. Then again, Artichoke would be more likely to part with his mortal coil than that much gold."

"Only a little bit," Vox assures him, "Although accommodations are unlikely to be very luxurious. As a alternative, I suppose we could approach the Duke Orquiel...I, for one, an not going to pay whatever price he demands. But you've an interesting soul; perhaps you could get a good deal for it."

gridley wrote:
"We apologize for the high price," says Cuulus, "but you must understand that our crew are all serving at great personal risk. They, and if not them, their families, must be properly compensated."

"Truly," she agrees. "If you can wait a month, when the seas should be safer, I'm certain you'll be able to book passage for a fraction of what we're charging now."

Is to be offering salvation, nestled in bosom of Holy Pig! Is for being great deal! And orphans is to be adopted by church! Could be raising them up to be warriors of faith! Or castrato; we is to be needing a chorus....

Vox slaps himself on the side of the head. "Quiet, you," he mutters, and then offers the Captain a weak smile. "I am an Eternal Bureaucrat," he says, "And have certain...skills that come with that position. The dead don't need to stay that way, if you understand me, and that would most certainly include your crew."
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 6:51 am

gridley wrote:
Captain Screwtape studies Vox with a keen eye, then pulls a small bound book from under her sash and flips it open. "Our finest stateroom has already been booked. There are two slightly less luxurious rooms available for 100,000 gold apiece. And three smaller rooms for 50,000 apiece. Servants can travel in the cargo hold for 10,000 apiece. We leave just after sunrise tomorrow."

OOC: How much cash have the PCs made thus far from returning the goddess to the Eladrin church (before they re-stole her)? Between that and the cash they're getting from the tieflings, they should be able to afford the above pretty easily, right?
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 12:27 pm

shilsen wrote:

OOC: How much cash have the PCs made thus far from returning the goddess to the Eladrin church (before they re-stole her)? Between that and the cash they're getting from the tieflings, they should be able to afford the above pretty easily, right?
OOC: I believe we got something on the order of 200,000 gp (less %15) from the Eladrin and the Tieflings agreed to 333,000. Or rather, Yatagan believes this, so the figures might be off a bit...
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 5:22 pm

shilsen wrote:

OOC: Indeed. Especially if they ride with the servants!

Mallus wrote:

OOC: I believe we got something on the order of 200,000 gp (less %15) from the Eladrin and the Tieflings agreed to 333,000. Or rather, Yatagan believes this, so the figures might be off a bit...

OOC: Close. It was 100,000 from the Eladrin, less Exypnos' 15% cut and the agreed upon 5,000 to cover additional profit sensed by the contract coin which you preferred not to make public.

OOC: So, with the 333,000 from the cabaret owners upon receipt of the goddess, you'll be up a total of 413,000 gold from this little enterprise.
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 16, 2010 6:28 pm

gridley wrote:
OOC: Close. It was 100,000 from the Eladrin, less Exypnos' 15% cut and the agreed upon 5,000 to cover additional profit sensed by the contract coin which you preferred not to make public.

OOC: So, with the 333,000 from the cabaret owners upon receipt of the goddess, you'll be up a total of 413,000 gold from this little enterprise.

Heh! That, incidentally, is enough to buy 41 sailing ships weighing 130 metric tonnes each, but not enough to purchase a level 23 weapon. D&D magic item prices and the world/economy around them never fit that well, but 4e seriously dropped the ball where it came to PC equipment/wealth.

Besides the money above, we also got a fair bit from all the stuff involved with the Mask of Cybele (sp?). I'm guessing that Artichoke would have stolen appropriated some of that money for expenses, since the League's resources are being used to support all the stuff the PCs do, but that should leave them with a LOT of cash for the trip. And even if he's sitting on a small mountain of gold for the group, dropping the bill in front of him should make for an interesting moment.

Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 17, 2010 9:01 am

shilsen wrote:

Heh! That, incidentally, is enough to buy 41 sailing ships weighing 130 metric tonnes each, but not enough to purchase a level 23 weapon.

Haha... that's awesome. Instead of a weapon at level 22, one of us should buy an armada.
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 9:06 am

shilsen wrote:
gridley wrote:

This is weird. I'm seeing your reply, Shil, but not that original post from Steve that you're quoting. It's not there at all. Is it just me?
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 10:50 am

shilsen wrote:

Heh! That, incidentally, is enough to buy 41 sailing ships weighing 130 metric tonnes each, but not enough to purchase a level 23 weapon. D&D magic item prices and the world/economy around them never fit that well, but 4e seriously dropped the ball where it came to PC equipment/wealth.
This just demonstrates how (accidentally) perfect the Port is as a 4e setting. Even the economics make sense.

You could buy the sailing ships, but where would you sail them? Take them out into Aster and their hulls would disintegrate, or mutate, or come alive and eat their crews, or otherwise dump them into the sea to get goblinized. The best you could hope for is to take them along the coast to the Snake States an invade them, or set yourself up as a pirate lord. Or you could sail up the River Livia and face The Lady of the Lake. Or up the Ossuary Flow and attack, um, the corpse of God.

Or you could (almost) buy Excalibur.

Or book a round trip voyage to Hell.

These look like equitable value propositions to me.

Last edited by Mallus on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:22 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 10:54 am

gridley wrote:

"Not that," she Captain Screwtape, her voice becoming grim. "My god... does not..."

"Play well with others?" suggests Cuulus.

She smiles faintly at him. "Indeed."
"Understood" says Yatagan. In another fit of sense, he says no more.

gridley wrote:

"To all things there are a season. A time to sleep, and a time to go. Right now it's go-time for us."

Rolzup wrote:
As a alternative, I suppose we could approach the Duke Orquiel...I, for one, an not going to pay whatever price he demands. But you've an interesting soul; perhaps you could get a good deal for it."
"Kind of you say, Mr. Cadaveris" says Yatagan happily. "But my eternal soul is already spoken for. Thrice, I believe. Let us conclude our business with Captain Screwtape then. Some combination of the smaller staterooms and the hold should do nicely for our voyage into Perdition. Do you suppose Artichoke's remaining hair will turn white, or simple fall out when learns of the cost? "

Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 10:21 am

Rolzup wrote:
shilsen wrote:
gridley wrote:

This is weird. I'm seeing your reply, Shil, but not that original post from Steve that you're quoting. It's not there at all. Is it just me?

...so it was just me, then? Would someone mind reposting the whole thing?
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 1:14 pm

Here's Steve's post again, John:

A mustachioed Tiefling man in sailing gear approaches behind her and loudly clears his throat.

"Ah, yes, Cuulus, thank you," she says, nodding to him. "The anonymous gentleman who chartered this journey will have to give his approval of you joining us tomorrow morning. He's very particular about whom he travels with."

Mallus wrote:
"We can pay. And we can help defend your ship, should it be necessary" says Yatagan in a shocking display of brevity.

"We are armed with four powerful Dragonborn cannons and faster than almost anything on the Aster, so I hope we will have no need of your strength," she says, "but I gratefully appreciate the offer."
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 10:26 am

gridley wrote:
There are two slightly less luxurious rooms available for 100,000 gold apiece. And three smaller rooms for 50,000 apiece. Servants can travel in the cargo hold for 10,000 apiece. We leave just after sunrise tomorrow."
"We should like two of the smaller staterooms and two berths in the hold." Aside to Vox he adds "Lizzie and I will ride cargo with the working class and other livestock. In the interest of saving some of the treasurury and Artichoke some of his scant remaining mud-brown locks."

Yatagan stops and wrinkles his stubby snout, as if he's forgotten something.

"And to reject the petty comforts of the bourgeoisie!" he says triumphantly. "Good day, Captain Screwtape, Mr. Cuulus. We shall return ere the dawn tomorrow. Come Mr. Cadaveris. We have a voyage to the Hells to prepare for. I suggest laundry, prayer and strong drink, in precisely that order."

Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 12:35 pm

OOC: Thank you, Shil -- original message is still missing for me, no matter how I log in or what computer I use, so who knows? Must be MAGIC.

gridley wrote:

Vox, with some difficulty, does not glance in Yatigan's direction. "We will endeavor," he replies smoothly, "To be acceptable company."

mallus wrote:

"We should like two of the smaller staterooms and two berths in the hold." Aside to Vox he adds "Lizzie and I will ride cargo with the working class and other livestock. In the interest of saving some of the treasurury and Artichoke some of his scant remaining mud-brown locks."

Yatagan stops and wrinkles his stubby snout, as if he's forgotten something.

"And to reject the petty comforts of the bourgeoisie!" he says triumphantly. "Good day, Captain Screwtape, Mr. Cuulus. We shall return ere the dawn tomorrow. Come Mr. Cadaveris. We have a voyage to the Hells to prepare for. I suggest laundry, prayer and strong drink, in precisely that order.

"I admire your commitment to the revolution," Vox replies, "But I should obtain some supplies while I still have the option. Residuum, ghost-powder, a certain blend of seven secret herbs and spices...really, you can never be too prepared."
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 1:50 pm

Rolzup wrote:
"But I should obtain some supplies while I still have the option. Residuum, ghost-powder, a certain blend of seven secret herbs and spices...really, you can never be too prepared."
"Of course, Mr. Cadaveris" says Yatagan. " I feel most fortunate that all I require for the journey I carry within myself; faith and semen".
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 10:12 pm

Rolzup wrote:
Vox, with some difficulty, does not glance in Yatigan's direction. "We will endeavor," he replies smoothly, "To be acceptable company."

"I'm sure you'll be fine," she says. "And, worse comes to worse, there will be plenty of wine."

Mallus wrote:
"We should like two of the smaller staterooms and two berths in the hold."

"Excellent," she says, looking over to Cuulus, who hands her a freshly inked quill, which he produces seemingly from thin air. "We can handle payment tomorrow after you're approved. We'll be leaving shortly after sunrise."

Mallus wrote:
"Good day, Captain Screwtape, Mr. Cuulus. We shall return ere the dawn tomorrow. Come Mr. Cadaveris. We have a voyage to the Hells to prepare for. I suggest laundry, prayer and strong drink, in precisely that order."

Captain Screwtape and Cuulus nod to you both, then return to supervise the loading of the ship.

Rolzup wrote:
"I admire your commitment to the revolution," Vox replies, "But I should obtain some supplies while I still have the option. Residuum, ghost-powder, a certain blend of seven secret herbs and spices...really, you can never be too prepared."

ooc: Colonel Cadaveris' Shadar-kai Fried Chicken?
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 22, 2010 10:12 am

gridley wrote:
Rolzup wrote:

ooc: Colonel Cadaveris' Shadar-kai Fried Chicken?

OOC: It's...ahem...soul food.

"We can rendezvous back at Seine Manor, and attempt to prise the money for our passage from Artichoke's hands. If we emphasize the dangerous nature of our passage, and that we might not come back at all...that might help."

Cause is for being HOLY. Vegetable Man is not going to being arguing. Is not being STUPID.

"No, no, of course not."

OOC: Pick up a few more rituals: Water's Gift, Tenser's Binding, Sending. The latter MIGHT let us communicate with those back in the port, but it's not likely at this level. Far Sending is still several levels away.
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 9:33 am

When the soon-to-be-sailors-on-the-Astral-Sea return to the Manor and inform Artichoke when they will be leaving and, even more importantly, what the passage will be costing, the only reason that his eyebrows don't disappear into his hairline is because the latter has receded even further over his time with the League.

Captain opens his mouth and then snaps it shut, face reddening slightly from the effort of controlling himself, before he opens it again and says, his tone strangely balanced, "That much, eh? Very well ... I'll get you the money when you're leaving tomorrow. It's ...," he pauses, the next words sounding oddly as if they're coming from within clenched teeth, even though his mouth is open, "...not going to be a problem, since you brought in so much with your ... negotiations with the eladrin church and the tieflings. And perhaps this voyage will ... benefit the League in the long-term, as well." If I have anything to say about it!

He rubs his head and settles back in his chair. "So, who's going along on the trip? Paetros," he frowns slightly, "Dropped be earlier to say that he's accompanying you. And then asked for money," Artichoke smiles thinly, "Though not as much as you just did, to do all sorts of things here at the Port over the next couple of weeks. Is he going or not?"

OOC: Thought I'd post this and move things along, so we can pick up directly with the voyage on Thursday, unless something else comes up.
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 9:59 am

shilsen wrote:

He rubs his head and settles back in his chair. "So, who's going along on the trip? Paetros," he frowns slightly, "Dropped be earlier to say that he's accompanying you. And then asked for money," Artichoke smiles thinly, "Though not as much as you just did, to do all sorts of things here at the Port over the next couple of weeks. Is he going or not?"

"He is, and he isn't," Vox admits, "Unless I can find some way to dig him out of my brain before taking ship."

Ha! Is having good luck with that! Is for being VERY comfortable, is taking MUCH slicings and dicings to remove.

Gritting his teeth, Vox explains Pætros's actions, and the implantation of the Tulpa. "...and that's why he needs to die, slowly and painfully," he concludes.

The Passion of the Porcophant? Is having much potentials, that.

"Oh, you have no idea," Vox mutters. "But I'll do what I can to help this little trip turn a profit. Do we have any business cards I can hand out? Great chance to network, build up contacts, and such. And I can do a bit more digging into the Case of the Persistent Spirits."

Seeing total incomprehension on Artichoke's face, he sighs. "The recent affair with the Resurrection Wine? There were some Infernal entanglements in the matter, is you may recall."
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 10:28 am

His brain working overtime, Yatagan recalls one duty he must discharge before leaving. He composes a letter to the goblin Magistrate, Lord Henry Scatter, using his finest paper and inks. He steadies his normally overly enthusiastic (ie scrawling) hand (ie claw) with a goblet full of Pernod.

"Your Short Lordship"

Who doesn't find internal rhyme endearing? No-one, I dare say!

"I am leaving the Port for some time, but ere I departed I wish to bring you joyous news concerning the missing and contested goddess. Firstly, she doesn't belong to the Eladrin! She is, in fact, an ancient work of engineering made by most puissant and egg-laying kind. Next I, meaning 'we' and speaking for my dwindling-yet-potent race, lay no claim to her. I am, in fact, her humble servant. Of sorts.

The goblins of Goblintown had nothing to do with her release from that steeple'd Eldadrin prison. That was the work of a Supernal being whose name escapes me. He has discovered a vast Dragonborn city full of wonders and killer automatons buried beneath Goblintown. The golden goddess is the key to restoring the city to it's former glory.

Not to worry, though. With the help of the Church of Treasure, LLC, the Dragonborn city will be relocated to it's proper place, which apparently is the sea, and a plan is in place to shore up the foundation of Goblintown using unionized Dwarven labor with 'full health care benefits'. I believe the city is to be used as museum to my race's glorious achievements and as a warning about the over-reliance on godless technologies.

The Eladrin are, undoubtedly, upset that their act of divine theft has been exposed. In my humble opinion, they should be watched carefully, and perhaps even fined. It is my hope at least some of their leadership will see the error of their ways and repent. Two of them had a profound conversion experience during our last meeting.

I hope this information will be helpful to you, Lord Scatter. As ever, I am an ally of your cause.

Sincerely,
Sir Yatagan Fracas
Elder and Apostle, Church of Treasure, LLC.

Last edited by Mallus on Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 26, 2010 11:09 am

Rolzup wrote:
"He is, and he isn't," Vox admits, "Unless I can find some way to dig him out of my brain before taking ship."

Ha! Is having good luck with that! Is for being VERY comfortable, is taking MUCH slicings and dicings to remove.

Gritting his teeth, Vox explains Pætros's actions, and the implantation of the Tulpa. "...and that's why he needs to die, slowly and painfully," he concludes.

Artichoke winces and says, with complete sincerity, "I've read about that sort of thing, but never seen it done. Damn! You have my sympathies!" Then he rubs his head thoughtfully again. Hmm - that connection between the two might cause some complications. Or maybe create some opportunities. I'll have to think about it.

Quote :
The Passion of the Porcophant? Is having much potentials, that.

Very Happy

Quote :
"Oh, you have no idea," Vox mutters. "But I'll do what I can to help this little trip turn a profit. Do we have any business cards I can hand out? Great chance to network, build up contacts, and such. And I can do a bit more digging into the Case of the Persistent Spirits."

Seeing total incomprehension on Artichoke's face, he sighs. "The recent affair with the Resurrection Wine? There were some Infernal entanglements in the matter, is you may recall."

"Ah, I see." Artichoke begins to dig in a drawer for his old business cards, namely ones that haven't been co-opted by Yatagan. After producing some, he hands them over to Vox. "That raises a few questions, actually. Any chance anyone from the Bureaucracy will stop by looking for you? And if they do, what do I say? Also, what exactly is it you guys are trying to do on the trip?" He grins wryly. "Not make us more enemies, I hope, after what happened with the eladrin church. Did I mention that I've got a meeting with them for the day after you leave?"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Godly Bunch   The Godly Bunch - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Godly Bunch
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Port :: The Game Itself :: Tales-
Jump to: