The Port
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Port

This is what happens after a world ends.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd

Go down 
+2
overeddie
Mallus
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
gridley

gridley

Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 11:46 am

overeddie wrote:
Lizzy just stands there mouth open, staring as this Marrow fellow does his thing. When he leaves, Lizzy wakes as if from a dream. "Fucking wizard fucking fucks!" he shouts. "Fucking dead motherfuckers! I'm gonna kill these fucking fucks." He starts smashing furniture. "Fucking come in here. In our own fucking house. Nobody does that. NOBODY!"

"These Petitioners are a blight upon this world," says Odanais, "not to mention competitors in this lucrative adventuring business we find ourselves in."

He pours himself a drink and slams it down. "We should destroy them."
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 4:21 pm

Rolzup wrote:
"Can bring word of Pig-God to dead, as well. Tend to be easy sell, have nothing else doing."
OOC: so Tresure's religion will be a sort of Pork Mormonism?

shilsen wrote:
"Maybe he just didn't think we were a threat."
"More likely he's bound by certain rules when operating in the mortal world" says Asarlai. "Or rather, what's left of it.

shilsen wrote:
"Well, the first part. Any preference for whether we go today or wait till tomorrow?"
"Frankly, you look like shit. We'll go in the morning" says Vox.

overeddie wrote:
"Fucking wizard fucking fucks!"
The elderly warlock begins to interrupt, "Gladmarrow's not a wiz... never mind".

gridley wrote:
He pours himself a drink and slams it down. "We should destroy them."
OOC: you're pretty sure you now know how to summon Gladmarrow: swear a Pact with him and then betray his confidence.

And now, moving on...

In the morning the League visits the Hereafter. The sunlight is clear and cold and the shambling, visible, working-class dead that mill about semi-aimlessly in the narrow streets shy away from it, keeping to the shadows. First stop: the shop of Maximilian Feldspar.

"I saw your play" says Feldspar after welcoming you into the overdecorated-but-underheated sitting room which serves as his showroom. "I didn't care much for your portrayal of the dead. Must the incorporeal always be so needy? And how can you tease the audience so with the smell of fresh blood and not offer any at the concession stand? Cruel, cruel, I say" His pointed smile indicates that he isn't actually upset.

Unless it indicates the exact opposite. "What can I do for you today?"

As Artichoke inquires about the vampire queen, a strange and almost reverent look crosses the blood merchants face. Before he says anything, he reaches under his vest and pulls out a tiny ivory replica of the Cybelle's mask on a thin gold chain.

"How odd you should ask about her... no matter, it's no secret. Cybelle the 3rd became queen of Enkiil Isle when she slew her mother, Cybelle the 2nd. She was called the Cold Mercy and her rule was long and just, though she was not merciful as you count things, nor just."

He pauses.

"Her reign was long ago, before this place came to float upon the Aster. Cybelle is remembered for bringing my kind a priceless gift: restraint. To this day we use her teachings to deal with the thirst, the craving that is at the heart of every minute of our sleepless lives.

Enventually she was killed by agents of the Outer Dark Church, what you would call the 'Powers-Beyond-the-Sea'. Some say it was her own treachery that brought her low. Others say her end was arranged by those among my people who resented her curse of clarity and control; those who missed the endless blood hunt, the ceaseless fever and frenzy.

So it goes. She is still honored by those who live among the living, but she is not loved."

Feldspar's speech has the unmistakable air of a monster's catechism.
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 11:01 pm

Mallus wrote:
As Artichoke inquires about the vampire queen, a strange and almost reverent look crosses the blood merchants face. Before he says anything, he reaches under his vest and pulls out a tiny ivory replica of the Cybelle's mask on a thin gold chain.

"How odd you should ask about her...

So it goes. She is still honored by those who live among the living, but she is not loved."

Feldspar's speech has the unmistakable air of a monster's catechism.

Interesting. I wonder how accurate that was. "Thank you for the information, Feldspar," says Artichoke. After a second of extra thought he adds, "What would you say if I told you her spirit might be loose in this city?"
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 10:08 am

shilsen wrote:
"What would you say if I told you her spirit might be loose in this city?"
"I'd be very much surprised. My kind do not 'give up the ghost'. We exist until we are destroyed. It is said our spirits can be bound using powerful rituals, but it's not something one of us would consent to. Without even these cold bodies to tether us to the world of the flesh...". He stops and studies your faces.

"So this has actually happened. Recently. She's here... I really should get out more."

Feldspar is silent for the space of a minute. "This would happen. My kind would, at best, ignore Cybelle. We need nothing more from her. Magicians among your kind would seek to bind her, to use her power, erroneously believing that she has charms powerful enough to beguile a nation of vampires. As for Cybelle, she would seek a new body. I suspect she need help with that. My kind are physical creatures, the paragon of bodies. We know nothing of the art of possession."
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 10:57 am

OOC: are you all done chatting with the blood merchant? Shall we move on to the Other Side?
Back to top Go down
overeddie

overeddie

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 11:09 am

Lizzy asks, "What kind of help would she need to get a new body, assuming of course that such a thing were really possible or that vampires actually existed?"
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 11:32 am

overeddie wrote:
Lizzy asks, "What kind of help would she need to get a new body, assuming of course that such a thing were really possible or that vampires actually existed?"
The vampire gives Lizzie a quizzical look. "A skilled ritual magician. And the new body would have to be fresh, either alive or very recently deceased. Assuming, of course, I'm real enough to be telling you this and you're real enough to hear it. Which probably shouldn't be taken for granted, given where we are."

Last edited by Mallus on Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 12:54 pm

"Reality questionable at best of times," Pætros agrees, "Entire concept over-rated, in Pætros's opinion. Does body need to be real? Can be conceptual, maybe? Or metaphorical? Was in mask, so seems likely that actual corpse not required."

The Porcophant tugs thoughtfully upon his mustache. "Wonder if Glorious Treasure of the Heavens can safely contain hungry spirit. Is goddess, so not unlikely."
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 12:59 pm

Rolzup wrote:
Was in mask, so seems likely that actual corpse not required."
OOC: note the mask kept seeking host bodies.

Quote :
"Wonder if Glorious Treasure of the Heavens can safely contain hungry spirit. Is goddess, so not unlikely."
OOC: sounds like one Skill Challenge to create the required Ritual and another to cast it.
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 2:10 pm

Mallus wrote:
The vampire gives Lizzie a quizzical look. "A skilled ritual magician. And the new body would have to be fresh, either alive or very recently deceased. Assuming, of course, I'm real enough to telling you this and you're real enough to hear it. Which probably shouldn't be taken for granted, given where we are."

Artichoke chuckles dryly at the vampire's words. Lizzie's claim that he doesn't believe in things which he deals with on a daily basis, some of which are the reason Lizzie's still alive, sometimes makes Artichoke think that the dwarf has taken one too many blows to the head. But as long as he can use his axe as powerfully as he does, Artichoke doesn't really care.

Rolzup wrote:
"Reality questionable at best of times," Pætros agrees, "Entire concept over-rated, in Pætros's opinion. Does body need to be real? Can be conceptual, maybe? Or metaphorical? Was in mask, so seems likely that actual corpse not required."

The Porcophant tugs thoughtfully upon his mustache. "Wonder if Glorious Treasure of the Heavens can safely contain hungry spirit. Is goddess, so not unlikely."

Artichoke's grin quickly disappears as he smacks his forehead. "Can we please ... please not set about trying to inflict a vampire queen's ghost on the pig?"

He then looks curiously at the blood merchant. "By the way, you wouldn't have any interest in, um, recorporealizing the queen, would you?"
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 2:16 pm

Mallus wrote:

OOC: note the mask kept seeking host bodies.

Pfah! Details!

Mallus wrote:
OOC: sounds like one Skill Challenge to create the required Ritual and another to cast it.

Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 9780805071641

"Pætros is entity for job! Will mix arts of poet, magus, alchemist, vintner and chef to make sum greater than whole, and yet less at same time. Tusks, fangs, little difference. Both teeth."
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 3:21 pm

"Dr. Feldspar," says Odanais, recalling horrific tales from his own world of Dr. Feldspar's Free Hospital for the Poor and Loveless, "would it be possible, in your professional opinion, for someone in the possession of Cybelle's spirit to create recollection wine from it and pass it on to a new host in that manner?"
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 3:36 pm

gridley wrote:
"Dr. Feldspar,"
"Please... just Maximilian. I'm no doctor". The way he pronounces the word causes all of you to shudder slightly. It's best not to think about medicine as it's practiced on the vampire isle. "I'm... what did you call me the last time you visited, a 'blood wallah?' I rather liked that.

gridley wrote:
"would it be possible, in your professional opinion, for someone in the possession of Cybelle's spirit to create recollection wine from it and pass it on to a new host in that manner?"
"I'm no expert in necromantic libations -- I prefer my drink to be pure and natural-- but I don't see why not. In fact, that's quite clever."

Last edited by Mallus on Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 9:45 am

OOC: are we done with the Vampire Dialogues? Shall we proceed to the undiscovered country?
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 11:00 am

Mallus wrote:
OOC: are we done with the Vampire Dialogues? Shall we proceed to the undiscovered country?

Sure, but Artichoke had a question Maximilian didn't answer:

Quote :
He then looks curiously at the blood merchant. "By the way, you wouldn't have any interest in, um, recorporealizing the queen, would you?"
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 12:30 pm

shilsen wrote:
Sure, but Artichoke had a question Maximilian didn't answer:
OOC: oops.

Quote :
"By the way, you wouldn't have any interest in, um, recorporealizing the queen, would you?"
"I thought I was clear on that point. My kind has no further need of Cybelle. All she could offer us now is her boot again at our throats. So, no" says Feldspar in a slightly irritated tone.
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 1:00 pm

"Is wise man," Pætros says sagely, as the group exits Feldspar's establishement, "For blood-drinking corpse, at least. But not to be trusting such! Slaves to own thirst.

"So. To be going to land of dead now, yes? Have questions to be asking, heads to be breaking."
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 3:17 pm

From Maximilian Feldspar's shop it's only a short walk to the Gossamer Pillow, the bordello were the Little Death meets the Big Sleep, which happens to be Vox's portal of choice for mortals seeking bodily access to the Other Side. As in the past, a shade named Daphne greets you warmly.

"Mr. Dare, we haven't seen you in some time. I hope you aren't getting bored of Clarice already. She says you're very... imaginative. I'm sorry to say she's currently engaged. Then again, I suppose you have important business to attend to. Good evening, Vox."

Vox gives a slight nod, says nothing, and then hustles the group through into the realm of the dead.

It takes all an of hour for the agent of the Bureaucracy to locate Petitioner Subtle. You find her pacing in the shadow of the place of her demise, the Other Side counterpart to the street in front of of the Made Gallery. The artworks within blaze like candles, easily shining through it's ghostly walls. Each seems to have absorbed a goodly portion of the life of its creator. The statues from the Infernal Isles carved from Devil's Coral writhe and burn. Here on the Other Side it's easy to see they are riddled with demon larvae.

A thin, hysterical sound comes from inside the empty Gallery. Subtle pays it no mind. She regards you slowly, pulling her hood down, exposing gray-streaked hair and skin that was just as pale in life.

"What do you want?"
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 3:29 pm

Mallus wrote:
"What do you want?"

"Well, this is a little awkward," says Artichoke much more pleasantly than the situation might suggest is appropriate, "But I was wondering if you could tell us who hired you to steal the mask. Or anything else about the job that you can think of."
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 3:39 pm

"Why would I do that? It's not like you can kill me again. Or are you offering something?"

OOC: this sounds like a fine time for a Skill Challenge, as I'm absolutely baffled as to how you plan to convince the woman you killed to help you.
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 3:46 pm

Mallus wrote:
OOC: this sounds like a fine time for a Skill Challenge, as I'm absolutely baffled as to how you plan to convince the woman you killed to help you.

Good idea, but first, here's a question - what does happen when you kill someone in the land of the dead?
Back to top Go down
overeddie

overeddie

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 3:48 pm

Mallus wrote:
"Why would I do that? It's not like you can kill me again. "
"I wouldn't be too sure about that. I've killed some pretty weird things in my day."
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 4:00 pm

Mallus wrote:
"Why would I do that? It's not like you can kill me again. Or are you offering something?"

"Is good question. But why would not? Loyalty to master, who swatted you like fly, maybe?"

OOC: Insight: 36. Natural 20, even. Trying to figure out what makes her tick, what we can use to convince her.

Last edited by Rolzup on Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 4:00 pm

The member 'Rolzup' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 20
Back to top Go down
https://theport.forumotion.net
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 8:35 pm

shilsen wrote:

Good idea, but first, here's a question - what does happen when you kill someone in the land of the dead?
OOC: ah metaphysics... the prevailing wisdom is that you can't. Dead souls cannot be killed again, at least not without extraordinary means. Certain powerful entities can devour souls (ie Gladmarrow), powerful rituals can bind and trap them, I suppose some magics can outright destroy a soul, but they're rare.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd   Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hell Hath No Fury Like the League Scorn'd
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next