The Port
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Port

This is what happens after a world ends.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Big Pig Riot

Go down 
+2
shilsen
Rolzup
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
gridley

gridley

The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 12:18 am

Rolzup wrote:
And surely someone much have an appropriate skill or three? I can think of a couple myself, but I'd rather see what you folk come up with -- it's bound to be a lot more entertaining.

Odanais can use religion [+10] to explain that Treasure, the Miracle Pig, is making a very important religious pilgrimage to the Holy Temple of the Dog, so that it can convey the proper prayers and treats.
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 10:14 am

In the interest of doing this all proper-like, so we can decide what changes (if any) we want to implement, let me actually set everything out this time around.

Primary skill are: Insight, Streetwise, Diplomacy, Bluff, and Nature. You'll need a result of 17 or higher to get a success with these.

Any other skill you can justify (like religon, say...), you'll need a 22 or higher. Any non-primary skill can only be used once -- this is, frankly, one thing that Shil and I are talking about changing somewhat, but let's stick with it now for the sake of Science.

So thus far, we've got a religion check at +10. Using Invisible Castle, that's a result of 1d20+10=26.

One success, and already news of the Miracle Pig is starting to spread!
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 11:29 am

Rolzup wrote:
In the interest of doing this all proper-like, so we can decide what changes (if any) we want to implement, let me actually set everything out this time around.
Good idea.

Quote :
Any non-primary skill can only be used once -- this is, frankly, one thing that Shil and I are talking about changing somewhat, but let's stick with it now for the sake of Science.
This is something I'd change. I'd also get rid of the whole primary/non-primary skill distinction. Or, rather, I'd ask the players to convince me that a specific skill should be considered primary. Part of the charm of this mechanic is using inappropriate skills and I don't want to discourage people from doing so.

Quote :
One success, and already news of the Miracle Pig is starting to spread!
So what's happening on the street? Do we get to the temple?

Either way, Yatagan will invoke his Astral Speech daily, pull Asarlai close, and then use Diplomacy (+11) to turn the gathering crowd friendly --and respectful of Treasure the Holy Pig's personal space-- or he'll try to talk the priests at the Temple of the Dog into granting them an audience, whichever is more appropriate.

edit: and that would be a 2nd success w/Diplomacy (8+11=19).

edit 2: social situations we can handle --oddly enough. The real fun will happen if we ever go on wilderness adventures and the likes of Asarlai, Odanais, and Yatagan have to make Athletics checks to ford a raging river.

Last edited by Mallus on Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:33 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 11:29 am

The member 'Mallus' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 8
Back to top Go down
https://theport.forumotion.net
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 11:40 am

Mallus wrote:
This is something I'd change. I'd also get rid of the whole primary/non-primary skill distinction. Or, rather, I'd ask the players to convince me that a specific skill should be considered primary. Part of the charm of this mechanic is using inappropriate skills and I don't want to discourage people from doing so.

I wouldn't get rid of the primary/non-primary skill distinction. People are already being encouraged to use inappropriate skills because players are invariably using whatever skills their PCs are best in. The distinction in the primary/non-primary DC accounts for the difference between people's trained and untrained skills. Without the distinction, people can just use their best skills every time, whatever the situation, and simply justify it in some way. With the distinction, you still have a reason to use your best skills (i.e. your high bonus), but there are some reasons not to. And it might be mathematically better to try using something that you're not so good at.
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 11:57 am

Odanais is ready with Insight [+8] (gaging mood and intentions whether they be in men, gods, or pigs?) and Nature [+8] (keeping Treasure calm?), whichever is most needed next.

Last edited by gridley on Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 12:06 pm

gridley wrote:
Odanais is ready with Insight [+7] (gaging mood and intentions whether they be in men, gods, or pigs?) and Nature [+7] (keeping Treasure calm?), whichever is most needed next.
Odanais has Nature as a Trained skill? Bless his perverse heart. I thought Yatagan was going to have to try and Intimidate a feral pig into a calm, submissive state...
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 12:16 pm

Mallus wrote:
Odanais has Nature as a Trained skill? Bless his perverse heart. I thought Yatagan was going to have to try and Intimidate a feral pig into a calm, submissive state...

Indeed! You might be surprised how much a person can learn about nature from books!
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 12:18 pm

In fact, he's actually +8 in both of those skills. I forgot about the 1/2 level bonus (edited now in original post).
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 3:25 pm

Speaking of level bonuses... when do reach level 3? 3 is such a nice number... a magic number, if you will. Perfect for storming lairs full of heretics.
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 3:29 pm

Mallus wrote:
Speaking of level bonuses... when do reach level 3? 3 is such a nice number... a magic number, if you will. Perfect for storming lairs full of heretics.

I believe this Friday will be John's last day DMing before I take over, and I'm planning to bump you guys from 2nd to 4th at that point.
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 3:37 pm

shilsen wrote:
I believe this Friday will be John's last day DMing before I take over, and I'm planning to bump you guys from 2nd to 4th at that point.
All the more reason to play the next session at 3rd!
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 4:41 pm

Mallus wrote:
shilsen wrote:
All the more reason to play the next session at 3rd!

Perhaps the predicted promotion is predicated on our performance in the pig parade.
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 5:16 pm

What I have planned will work equally well with either second or third level...third would have a marginally better survival margin, I suppose, but what's the fun of that?

Up to the lot of you -- what do you wanna do?

A rather confused crowd has gathered and is following in the parade's wake, throwing ordure and flowers, shouting questions and requests....

"Are you gonna feed that to the Dog?"

"Heal my clubfoot, oh pig!"

"Who's going to win the first round in tonight's bout at the Circus?"

Thus far, Treasure seems remarkably composed. What was it that Odanais fed her before you left the Hall?

And who's going to roll next?
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 5:26 pm

Rolzup wrote:
What I have planned will work equally well with either second or third level...third would have a marginally better survival margin, I suppose, but what's the fun of that?

Up to the lot of you -- what do you wanna do?

As long as it's not a problem for you, I'd personally prefer the 3rd lvl just because it would give us a little more time to play around with a bigger selection of encounter powers (esp. since Artichoke will likely take a vacation when I take over, so I won't get to try it out for a while). But I'm fine either way.

That said, if you bump us up to 3rd, don't forget to give your NPCs a +1 to everything, plus an extra level's hit pts. It would only be fair Twisted Evil

Quote :

I emailed and asked Mike, Wayne and John D to pop in, but since none of them have done that in a while, maybe roll for (some of) them? Asarlai's Streetwise would come in handy.
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 5:37 pm

Rolzup wrote:
"Who's going to win the first round in tonight's bout at the Circus?"
"Not the pig!" proclaims Yatagan. "Today is the Pork Sabbath!"

Quote :
Not me. I just wanted to write the words 'pork sabbath'.
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 6:00 pm

Rolzup wrote:

Odanais will go next with Insight [+8].
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 8:32 pm

Yatagan will share some of his insights into religious mobs with Mr. Dare.

OOC: aid another (9+8=17). So Odanais gets +2 to his Insight check.

Last edited by Mallus on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 8:32 pm

The member 'Mallus' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 9
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 10:44 pm

Odanais gets 23 (13 + 8 + 2) for Insight. So much insight! Clearly it's the cloven hoof of the miracle pig at work!

OOC: Hey, look at me, I figured out how the automatic dice roller works!

Last edited by gridley on Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 10:44 pm

The member 'gridley' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 13
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 16, 2008 11:21 pm

John, any decision about the level thing?

And I posted a writeup for the first half of last session in the "Tales" section.
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 8:09 am

Level 3 it is, then!

(I'm going to be running around doing christmas shopping for most of the day, and have to be out the door in a few minutes, so I won't have a chance to make a proper post until tonight.)
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 10:07 am

gridley wrote:
Clearly it's the cloven hoof of the miracle pig at work!
It must be. How else could this lot succeed at tasks involving diplomacy and insight into the human condition? Also, the pig might just be a front for a spider.
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 11:34 am

Maybe there's a spider goddess in your pants box!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Big Pig Riot   The Big Pig Riot - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Big Pig Riot
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Port :: The Game Itself :: Tales-
Jump to: