The Port
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Port

This is what happens after a world ends.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?

Go down 
+2
shilsen
gridley
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Mallus

Mallus

Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 10:08 am

As things begin to look dicey as Artichoke ministers to the jarred brain, Yatagan exhorts him to do better using a string of expletives and psychotic threats of physical harm, drill sergeant-style. He does this in a fair approximation of Artichoke's own voice, albeit somewhat louder.

OOC: can Yatagan use Intimidate to 'inspire' --ie frighten-- a better performance out of Artichoke? If so, Intimidate: 28 -- that's below the non-primary skill DC, however, it beats Artichoke's WILL defense! Just sayin...

Last edited by Mallus on Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:13 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 10:08 am

The member \'Mallus\' has done the following action : Dice Roller

\'d20\' : 10
Back to top Go down
https://theport.forumotion.net
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 11:20 am

Mallus wrote:
OOC: can Yatagan use Intimidate to 'inspire' --ie frighten-- a better performance out of Artichoke? If so, Intimidate: 28 -- that's below the non-primary skill DC, however, it beats Artichoke's WILL defense! Just sayin...

If I recall correctly, the rule is that you generally can't use social skills against other PCs, because that way lies ... well, madness.

Even if Steve ruled you could, I'd really rather you didn't try that. I never started rolling Intimidate or Diplomacy or whatever to try and make other PCs do what I'd prefer when they didn't, which happens a lot in this group of characters. And I'm cool with that, even if it's not ideally what I'd like, since I'm willing to adapt to other players. I'm not as cool with the idea that it's perfectly fine as long as I'm the one to put aside what I would prefer to suit other players' preferences, but there's an issue the one time I don't.

Just saying.
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 11:41 am

OOC: Yeah, I'm inclined to handle player interaction primarily through role-playing. Yatagan makes a vigorous attempt to intimidate Artichoke into trying harder. Shil may take that into consideration when deciding what Artichoke does next, but he is not compelled to do what Yatagan commands by the successful intimidation roll.
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 11:46 am

shilsen wrote:
I'm not as cool with the idea that it's perfectly fine as long as I'm the one to put aside what I would prefer to suit other players' preferences, but there's an issue the one time I don't.

Just saying.
There's no issue shil. If you don't want us to take the brain, that's fine. But make it clear that's your preference. By doing this in-character, having Artichoke trick Yatagan confused things. The situation looked --to me, at least-- like any other bit of in-character situation comedy. So I responded in kind.

For the record,I just thought it was funny to have Yatagan try to 'aid' Artichoke by doing an impression of him and yelling at him, a parody of his own tactics -- I didn't mean to offend... I figured you go along with the joke because the Skill Challenge was lost at that point (without Artichoke's help it was impossible... which is to say I didn't expect the Intimidate check to do much at all).
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 11:50 am

gridley wrote:
OOC: Yeah, I'm inclined to handle player interaction primarily through role-playing. Yatagan makes a vigorous attempt to intimidate Artichoke into trying harder. Shil may take that into consideration when deciding what Artichoke does next, but he is not compelled to do what Yatagan commands by the successful intimidation roll.

IC: Artichoke turns sharply as Yatagan harangues him, saying, "What?" As he does, the sharp tool in his right hand 'slips' and jabs through one of the cracks in the glass, burying itself in the brain. Artichoke looks quickly back to the brain and mutters, "Damn - now look what you made me do!" He wiggles the tool back and forth, seemingly in an effort to pull it out, which results in further tearing of the unfortunate brain.

OOC: Intentionally flubs a Heal check.

Mallus wrote:
There's no issue shil. If you don't want us to take the brain, that's fine. But make it clear that's your preference. By doing this in-character, having Artichoke trick Yatagan confuses things. The situation looked --to me, at least-- like any other bit of in-character situation comedy.

Okay. I thought I'd made it clear in the OOC post about having Artichoke intentionally blow his skill checks, but I guess not. So, yeah - I don't want us to take the brain.
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 11:59 am

shilsen wrote:
He wiggles the tool back and forth, seemingly in an effort to pull it out, which results in further tearing of the unfortunate brain.
"Drat! I could have used that brain!" bellows Yatagan with a distinct undercurrent of sadness.

Quote :
I don't want us to take the brain.
OOC: Done!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

After performing Last Rites for the goblin brain, complete with making the Sign of the Pig on its busted tank with a gob of congealed bacon fat, Yatagan says "Shall we press on in search of adventure?" He smiles happily.
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 12:11 pm

Mallus wrote:
"Drat! I could have used that brain!" bellows Yatagan with a distinct undercurrent of sadness.

Artichoke smiles with apparent sympathy and says, "Don't worry - we can always get you one with a body attached. And, if it turns out that Gadrun Hob is behind this whole mess, maybe we can even get his warforged."

Quote :
After performing Last Rites for the goblin brain, complete with making the Sign of the Pig on its busted tank with a gob of congealed bacon fat, Yatagan says "Shall we press on in search of adventure?" He smiles happily.

"Yes," says Artichoke, "But before we do that, let's patch everyone up."

OOC: Steve, since you collected them all at the end of last session, could you post what everyone's current hit pts are? Artichoke will proceed to heal everyone.
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 2:15 pm

shilsen wrote:
And, if it turns out that Gadrun Hob is behind this whole mess, maybe we can even get his warforged."
"Splendid!" The Dragonborn claps his steel-gauntleted hands together in delight.

Quote :
OOC: Steve, since you collected them all at the end of last session, could you post what everyone's current hit pts are? Artichoke will proceed to heal everyone.
OOC: I think Yatagan is down between 30-40 HP. He wasn't Bloodied yet... and he used 1 Surge.
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 3:02 pm

Mallus wrote:

At the end of the brain room, there's an open doorway leading to a hallway, similarly lit by glowing green panels. At the end of that twenty foot hallway is an odd metal door, no knob or obvious lock, just two handles at about chest level.

On the right hand side of the hall, just a few feet from the odd metal door, there is a large, almost perfectly round hole cut into the wall. The hole, roughly five foot in diameter, passes through the stone wall and into utter darkness. A large wooden plank has been laid on the floor to provide a walkway into the hole.

shilsen wrote:
"Yes," says Artichoke, "But before we do that, let's patch everyone up."

Paetros: 65
Yatagan: 64
Artichoke: 45
Penelope: 69
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 4:17 pm

gridley wrote:
On the right hand side of the hall, just a few feet from the odd metal door, there is a large, almost perfectly round hole cut into the wall.
Yatagan will approach the hole in the wall cautiously. Well, cautiously for Yatagan, meaning he won't leap in. Instead, he'll shine the light from his codpiece into the darkness. He'll also examine the wooden plank.

Does the stone-cutting look too good for goblin workers? Would a Dragonborn machine leave a hole like that?

Quote :
OOC: Yatagan spends 2 Surges to get back to full/100 HP.
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 4:28 pm

gridley wrote:
Paetros: 65
Artichoke: 45
Penelope: 69

Okay. Paetros is almost at full (69), so probably shouldn't waste a surge, just in case. Penelope (and Sappho) can get back to full with a healing surge. I had Artichoke at 47, but Yatagan's last hit took him to 32, so he'll spend two healing surges while using Inspiring Word on himself, which'll pop him up to full.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 4:28 pm

The member \'shilsen\' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 \'d6\' : 3, 3, 6

--------------------------------

#2 \'d6\' : 2, 4, 3
Back to top Go down
https://theport.forumotion.net
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 7:36 pm

Mallus wrote:
Yatagan will approach the hole in the wall cautiously. Well, cautiously for Yatagan, meaning he won't leap in.

As Yatagan makes his way down the hallway, he is plagued by the notion that there's someone right behind him, but when he spins clumsily around, he sees nothing there. His companions are still lingering behind in the room he just left. He feels something quietly, gently nudging his mind, like an itch he can't scratch.

Mallus wrote:
Instead, he'll shine the light from his codpiece into the darkness. He'll also examine the wooden plank.

By the glow of his crotch light, Yatagan sees that the wooden plank crosses a disturbingly deep crevice to a hole in a wall of uncut rock. The gap is about fifteen feet and the hole on the opposite side appears to be the same size as the one Yatagan is standing in.

Mallus wrote:
Does the stone-cutting look too good for goblin workers? Would a Dragonborn machine leave a hole like that?

Whatever cut the hole left a series of very even ruts along the circumference of the hole, suggesting machine work. Or possibly some sort of magic.

Yatagan doesn't know of such a machine, but he's confident his ancestors could have built a device that would dig a hole like that.

Mallus wrote:
He'll also examine the wooden plank.

Yatagan places one foot on the plank, letting his weight down on it slowly.

"Don't worry, boss," says a voice in Yatagan's head, "That plank's quality pine wood, three inches thick. It should hold your weight."

It sounds very much like the telepathic voice of the brain that just died in his hands. Yatagan thinks he smells the slightest odor of pork fat.
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 10:20 am

gridley wrote:
"Don't worry, boss," says a voice in Yatagan's head, "That plank's quality pine wood, three inches thick. It should hold your weight."
"3 inches? Why that's more than sufficient". At this point Yatagan realizes he's talking to his brain.

Quote :
It sounds very much like the telepathic voice of the brain that just died in his hands. Yatagan thinks he smells the slightest odor of pork fat.
"I take it I'm addressing a ghost-brain and not my own, for your voice lacks the soaring cadences mine is known for" says Yatagan aloud. "How is this possible? It sounds like you're inside in head. Tell me, what do you see? Multitudes? Looming apotheosis?"

Yatagan shakes his skull-helmed head vigorously and motions for the League to approach.

"While you're at it, can you tell me why they bypassed this door by cutting a hole in the wall? Could they not open it? Does it pose a danger?"
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 10:23 am

Mallus wrote:
"While you're at it, can you tell me why they bypassed this door by cutting a hole in the wall? Could they not open it? Does it pose a danger?"

With the others having been healed, Artichoke follows Yatagan, letting Paetros, Penelope and Sappho bring up the rear. Nearing the dragonborn, he looks at Yatagan quizzically and says, "I may regret asking this, but ... who are you talking to?"
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 10:36 am

Mallus wrote:
"I take it I'm addressing a ghost-brain and not my own, for your voice lacks the soaring cadences mine is known for" says Yatagan aloud. "How is this possible? It sounds like you're inside in head. Tell me, what do you see? Multitudes? Looming apotheosis?"

"I'm not sure what happened. I remember floating above myself... well, above my brain that is... and I was like watching myself die... and the room was slowly filling with this white light... then you were saying some words over me that I couldn't make out... and then when you walked away, I found myself being dragged along with you."

Mallus wrote:

"That door? Oh, you don't want to go through that door, boss."
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 10:50 am

shilsen wrote:
Nearing the dragonborn, he looks at Yatagan quizzically and says, "I may regret asking this, but ... who are you talking to?"
"I fear, Artichoke, I may have performed Last Rites for the goblin brain... not to the best of my abilities. His soul seems to be... stuck to mine. He's in my head."

gridley wrote:
"That door? Oh, you don't want to go through that door, boss."
Yatagan is seized by the irresistible urge to go through that door at all costs. "Oh, why not?" he says mildly.
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 11:01 am

Mallus wrote:
"I fear, Artichoke, I may have performed Last Rites for the goblin brain... not to the best of my abilities. His soul seems to be... stuck to mine. He's in my head."

Artichoke grimaces faintly at the information and thinks sourly, No wonder! With the amount of unused space he has in there.... Then he shrugs inwardly. Better inside Yatagan's head than parked in our basement dominating or mentally attacking people. All he says is, "Interesting," and then watches as the paladin carries on his one-sided conversation.
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 11:09 am

"He seems to think attempting to open the door is a bad idea. I've just asked him to elaborate".
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 12:07 pm

Mallus wrote:
Yatagan is seized by the irresistible urge to go through that door at all costs. "Oh, why not?" he says mildly.

"Oh, when the boss had me carry this plank in, I asked him what was behind the door and he said, 'You don't want to go in there.' It made quite an impression on me."
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 12:19 pm

Yatagan relates this to the rest of the party, adding "The ghost-brain seems rather helpful."

"Perhaps we should leave the door alone. For the moment. Ms. Pindar, would you be so kind as to cover me?" With that, Yatagan draws his battleaxe and carefully starts across the plank.
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 12:22 pm

Mallus wrote:
Yatagan relates this to the rest of the party, adding "The ghost-brain seems rather helpful."

"Perhaps we should leave the door alone. For the moment. Ms. Pindar, would you be so kind as to cover me?" With that, Yatagan draws his battleaxe and carefully starts across the plank.

Before Yatagan can step on the plank, Artichoke says quickly, "Hold on!" Pulling out a coil of rope from his backpack, he says, "Tie one end around your waist. Just in case something goes wrong, I'd rather avoid you falling into ... well, whatever is down there."

Once Yatagan has tied a loop around himself, Artichoke says, "Go ahead now." Meanwhile, he grasps the other end of the rope and begins to pay it out as the dragonborn paladin advances, bracing his feet firmly against some support in case Yatagan does fall.
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 12:40 pm

shilsen wrote:
"Tie one end around your waist. Just in case something goes wrong, I'd rather avoid you falling into ... well, whatever is down there."
"Ah, thanks! You'll have to bear with me, prudence does not come naturally to my kind."

Once Artichoke is securely braced, Yatagan will cross the plank, attempting, at least, to use with shield and axe to balance himself.

OOC: if he does fall, and it looks like he'll drag the rest of the party down with him -- an unfortunately literal possibility in this case -- he'll use his armor's Daily power to teleport himself to the far end (as long as it's within 30ft).
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 1:01 pm

Mallus wrote:
Once Artichoke is securely braced, Yatagan will cross the plank, attempting, at least, to use with shield and axe to balance himself.

It's not difficult to cross the plank, but there is certainly a chance for failure. Acrobatics DC 13 or Athletics DC 18.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?   Brains!  Why'd It Have To Be Brains? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brains! Why'd It Have To Be Brains?
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Port :: The Game Itself :: Tales-
Jump to: