The Port
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Port

This is what happens after a world ends.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
shilsen

shilsen

Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 7:01 pm

Atlatl wrote:
Bloodcut, from the PH.

Always a nice one for the "I like people to beat on me" type of PC, like Heyoka.
Back to top Go down
Atlatl Jones

Atlatl Jones

PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 1:13 pm

I updated Heyoka to level 6.

Last edited by Atlatl on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 1:29 pm

Atlatl wrote:
I updated Heyoka to level 6.

Thanks. Are you going to be at the game tomorrow?
Back to top Go down
Atlatl Jones

Atlatl Jones

PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 1:38 pm

shilsen wrote:
Thanks. Are you going to be at the game tomorrow?
I'm still not sure. I probably won't know until the morning.

The way Heyoka is now, I'm emphasizing the pseudo-striker aspects of the fighter, at the expense of being a great defender. Both our strikers will be gone when John takes over the game, and we now have Lizzy to help with the defending, so I figured that it would be nice to have someone who can dish a lot of damage.

Though I also have another character concept in mind that I may try out: Sir Lien Repossessed, a deva avenger who's equal parts Cathar heretic and sadomasochist. He believes that the physical world is innately evil, and flesh is just a corrupt prison for innately pure soul. Therefore, anything that damages or demeans flesh is actually a good thing, and he takes great spiritual pleasure in being wounded. Unfortunately, as a deva he's trapped in a cycle of reincarnation, and will never be free of his prison. This makes him rather testy.

Last edited by Atlatl on Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 1:54 pm

Atlatl wrote:
I'm still not sure. I probably won't know until the morning.

Okay. Give me a call or email when you find out.

Quote :
The way Heyoka is now, I'm emphasizing the pseudo-striker aspects of the fighter, at the expense of being a great defender. Both our strikers will be gone when John takes over the game, and we now have Lizzy to help with the defending, so I figured that it would be nice to have someone who can dish a lot of damage.

I noticed that, which I'm fine with, but just looking at his numbers I'm thinking that all the stuff I heard on ENWorld about the "tempest fighter + double weapons = overpowered" is true. Heyoka's only marginally less effective as a defender than Yatagan and Lizzy, and way ahead when it comes to damage. If you do stick with him, I think I'd prefer to have him drop the double sword and remove double weapons in general from our campaign.

I'd been thinking about the fact that the two strikers being gone too, and had been wondering if retooling Heyoka as a barbarian wouldn't work well. Doing the rageblood barbarian, who runs into a bunch of enemies and hacks away at them and takes lots of damage but just ... won't ... die seems to fit well with how you've been playing him thus far.

Quote :
Though I also have another character concept in mind that I may try out: Sir Lien Repossessed, a deva avenger who's equal part Cathar heretic and sadomasochist. He believes that the physical world is innately evil, and flesh is just a corrupt prison for innately pure soul. Therefore, anything that damages or demeans flesh is actually a good thing, and he takes great spiritual pleasure in being wounded. Unfortunately, as a deva he's trapped in a cycle of reincarnation, and will never be free of his prison. This makes him rather testy.

Heh! That's a nice concept. And would be very different from the deva concept that Amber's planning for her shaman.

BTW, even with a deva avenger, you know it won't fix your rolling, right?
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 3:00 pm

Atlatl wrote:
Sir Lien Repossessed, a deva avenger who's equal part Cathar heretic and sadomasochist.
That's awful, and by 'awful', I mean amazing.

Quote :
This makes him rather testy.
A testy S&M angel... jealous, I am.
Back to top Go down
Atlatl Jones

Atlatl Jones

PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 3:43 pm

shilsen wrote:
I noticed that, which I'm fine with, but just looking at his numbers I'm thinking that all the stuff I heard on ENWorld about the "tempest fighter + double weapons = overpowered" is true. Heyoka's only marginally less effective as a defender than Yatagan and Lizzy, and way ahead when it comes to damage. If you do stick with him, I think I'd prefer to have him drop the double sword and remove double weapons in general from our campaign.
I've also been wondering about the possible overpoweredness of tempests with double weapons. At least they errated Marked Scourge! One house rule fix I like is to change Dual Strike from being two attacks that must be at the same target into two attacks that must be at different targets. That makes it much more of a defender power than a striker power.

In any case, I was thinking of changing Heyoka into polearm fighter when we hit paragon levels, mainly because polearm gamble sounds like a ton of fun. If you'd like me to change, I could just change him sooner rather than later.

Quote :
I'd been thinking about the fact that the two strikers being gone too, and had been wondering if retooling Heyoka as a barbarian wouldn't work well. Doing the rageblood barbarian, who runs into a bunch of enemies and hacks away at them and takes lots of damage but just ... won't ... die seems to fit well with how you've been playing him thus far.
I'd have to rearrange his stats to improve his Con, but the flavor would certainly fit. I may make a version of him as a barbarian.

Quote :
Heh! That's a nice concept. And would be very different from the deva concept that Amber's planning for her shaman.
I figured that the combination of insane philosophy, transgressive attitudes, and brutal violence would fit right in with the group.

Quote :
BTW, even with a deva avenger, you know it won't fix your rolling, right?
Sure, rub it in!
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm

Atlatl wrote:

I figured that the combination of insane philosophy, transgressive attitudes, and brutal violence would fit right in with the group.
That's the group in a nutshell, isn't it?
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 02, 2009 5:09 pm

Atlatl wrote:
In any case, I was thinking of changing Heyoka into polearm fighter when we hit paragon levels, mainly because polearm gamble sounds like a ton of fun. If you'd like me to change, I could just change him sooner rather than later.

Sure. That would work.

Quote :
I'd have to rearrange his stats to improve his Con, but the flavor would certainly fit. I may make a version of him as a barbarian.

I presumed you'd change stats, skills, feats, etc to fit, if you do go that route.

Quote :

What Scott said. Though I must add that in Artichoke's case it also involves a pyramid scheme.

Quote :
Sure, rub it in!

You make it hard to resist. You even roll that way when you DM!
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 4:10 pm

Atlatl wrote:

Though I also have another character concept in mind that I may try out: Sir Lien Repossessed, a deva avenger who's equal parts Cathar heretic and sadomasochist. He believes that the physical world is innately evil, and flesh is just a corrupt prison for innately pure soul. Therefore, anything that damages or demeans flesh is actually a good thing, and he takes great spiritual pleasure in being wounded. Unfortunately, as a deva he's trapped in a cycle of reincarnation, and will never be free of his prison. This makes him rather testy.

This character sounds fantastic!
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 12:14 pm

Are you planning to bring in the deva avenger next week, Mike? It'll be interesting having 2 avengers in the group, with Ed apparently planning to run one too. Or will you do a modified Heyoka for the moment?
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 12:25 pm

shilsen wrote:
Are you planning to bring in the deva avenger next week, Mike? It'll be interesting having 2 avengers in the group, with Ed apparently planning to run one too. Or will you do a modified Heyoka for the moment?

It's funny because I think it was Mike who said at the last session that the best party would be three strikers and three healers, which is very close to where we seem to be headed.
Back to top Go down
Atlatl Jones

Atlatl Jones

PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 6:25 pm

shilsen wrote:
I'll bring in Sir Lien Repossessed.

Though I'm half tempted to bring in an alternate-universe version of Heyoka, a companion of the alternate Gridley (The Eternal Dupe to his Eternal Pervert?). Maybe Heyoka Hides-in-Mountains, a cowardly effete intellectual. Or Heyoka Head-Butts-Mountains, a minotaur version in which his mother was a cow instead of a wolf. Or, to really fit in, Heyoka Bad-Touches Mountains.
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 6:30 pm

Atlatl wrote:
I'll bring in Sir Lien Repossessed.

Cool. Shall we go with Artichoke having met him at Raze's academy too? Probably having been introduced to Lien by Christabel, who would have met some of Lien's previous incarnations during a couple of her previous lives.

Quote :
Though I'm half tempted to bring in an alternate-universe version of Heyoka, a companion of the alternate Gridley (The Eternal Dupe to his Eternal Pervert?). Maybe Heyoka Hides-in-Mountains, a cowardly effete intellectual. Or Heyoka Head-Butts-Mountains, a minotaur version in which his mother was a cow instead of a wolf. Or, to really fit in, Heyoka Bad-Touches Mountains.

Oh, lordy!
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 10:47 pm

Atlatl wrote:

Hehe... alternate Odanais does mention a run in with the Jumps-Off-Mountain brothers, so it could definitely work.
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 12:47 pm

Atlatl wrote:
(The Eternal Dupe to his Eternal Pervert?)
Nice.

Quote :
Maybe Heyoka Hides-in-Mountains, a cowardly effete intellectual.
Nicer.

Quote :
Heyoka Bad-Touches Mountains.
Nicest!

He could be a shaman carrying on an 'inappropriate relationship' with his underage spirit companion.
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 12:51 pm

gridley wrote:
Hehe... alternate Odanais does mention a run in with the Jumps-Off-Mountain brothers, so it could definitely work.
In that case I'll have to run mirror-Yatagan for a session, at least.

He's Yats Gladhands, a lady-killing, atheist, Dragonborn mob-enforcer (with a Cockney accent), who used for run with Jimmy Heatshimmer's gang until he got sentenced to the pit-fighting arena.
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 1:12 pm

Mallus wrote:
In that case I'll have to run mirror-Yatagan for a session, at least.

He's Yats Gladhands, a lady-killing, atheist, Dragonborn mob-enforcer (with a Cockney accent), who used for run with Jimmy Heatshimmer's gang until he got sentenced to the pit-fighting arena.

You know, that would be interesting. Maybe at some point we should do a one-off adventure (multiple sessions, if needed) which occurs in the other world, where the real Odanais gets the help of the alternate versions of our PCs to pull off a ritual (or something else) which will let him return to our world for a duel with bizarro-Odanais. Over the hand of his sister, of course.
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 10:54 pm

shilsen wrote:

You know, that would be interesting. Maybe at some point we should do a one-off adventure (multiple sessions, if needed) which occurs in the other world, where the real Odanais gets the help of the alternate versions of our PCs to pull off a ritual (or something else) which will let him return to our world for a duel with bizarro-Odanais. Over the hand of his sister, of course.

Fun!
Back to top Go down
Atlatl Jones

Atlatl Jones

PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 8:50 pm

For the fun of it, I made a version of Heyoka as a monk. It worked out surprisingly well.

Razorclaw Shifter Monk 7
HP 53 (Bloodied 26). Healing surges/day 7 (13 hp). Initiative +8 (+10 w/ artichoke).
AC 22, Fort 19, Ref 20, Will 18 Str 14, Con 11, Dex 20, Int 8, Wis 17, Cha 10. Speed 6

Feats: Battle Awareness, Focused Expertise*, Melee Training, Polearm Momentum, Weapon Proficiency (Greatspear).
Skills: Acrobatics +15, Athletics +10, Perception +11 (Low-light), Stealth +15, Thievery +13.
Class Abilities: Centered Breath, Unarmed Combatant, Unarmored Defense.

At-Will Powers
• Centered Flurry of Blows: Free action, when you hit with an attack during your turn. Melee touch, 1 target. 3 damage. If not the target of the triggering attack, slide it 2 squares to a square adjacent to you. If it slides 2 squares, you can knock it prone.
• Crane’s Wings – Attack: +14 vs. AC. 1d10+9 damage, and push the target 2 squares and can knock it prone. – Move: Jump at +5, considered to have a running start, no speed limit.
• Five Storms – Attack: Close burst 1. +11 vs. Reflex. 1d6+9 damage. – Move: Shift 2.
• Ranged Basic Attack (javelin): Range 10/20. +11 vs. AC, 1d6+5 damage.

Encounter powers:
• Battle Awareness: Immediate interrupt, when an adjacent enemy shifts or makes an attack that doesn’t include you. +14 vs. AC. 1d10+9 damage.
• Drunken Monkey – Attack: +11 vs. Will. 1d6+9 damage, slide target 2 squares and can knock it prone. Target makes melee basic attack (w/ +3 bonus) as free action against an enemy of your choice. – Move: Move your speed +2. Ignore difficult terrain, +3 to all defenses vs. OAs.
• Dance of Swords – Attack: +14 vs. Reflex. 2d10+9 damage, +2 more damage for each enemy adjacent to you. – Move: Move your speed +2. Enemies who take OAs and miss grant you CA until the end of this turn.
• Fist of One Hundred Strikes – Attack: 1 or 2 targets. +14 vs. AC. 1d10+9 damage, and you can shift 1 square. – Move: Shift 2.

Utility Powers
• Razorclaw Shifting: Minor, when bloodied. Gain +2 to speed, & +1 to AC & Reflex until the end of the encounter.
• Harmonius Discipline: Minor. You gain 3 temp HPs. When they are gone, you gain +3 damage on your next melee attack.
• Centered Defense (Daily): Minor. Stance. +2 power bonus to all defenses.
• Second Wind: Standard. +2 to all Defenses until the start of your next turn. Spend a healing surge (two if you’re bloodied).

Daily powers:
• Whirling Mantis Leap: Shift your speed. If you enter a square adjacent to an enemy, slide it 2 squares & knock prone. After the shift, Attack: 1, 2, or 3 targets. +14 vs. AC. 1d10+9 damage, and the target is slowed (save ends). Miss: Half damage, & the target is slowed until end of your next turn.
• One Hundred Leaves: Close blast 3. +11 vs. Reflex. 1d10+9 damage, push 3 squares, & knock prone. Miss: Half damage, push 2 squares, and knock prone. Effect: Until the end of your next turn, you can target one additional creature w/ Flurry of Blows.

Magic Items
• Bloodclaw Greatspear +2 (lvl 7, AV). At-Will, Free action: Take 2 damage, deal +4 damage on next melee attack (+6 w/ a weapon held in two hands).
• Rushing Cleats (lvl 7, AV). +2 to bull rush. +1 to slide and push distances.
• Cloak of the Walking Wounded +1 (lvl 4). If use second wind while bloodied, can expend two healing surges instead of one.
• Cloth Armor +2 (lvl 6).
• Iron Armbands of Power (lvl 6, AV). Gain +2 on melee damage rolls.
(I probably overspent on magic items. I need to do the math).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains   Heyoka Jumps-Off-Mountains - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2