The Port
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Port

This is what happens after a world ends.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Looking for learning.

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Looking for learning. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 2:36 pm

The member 'Rolzup' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'd20' : 10

--------------------------------

#2 'd8' : 5
Back to top Go down
https://theport.forumotion.net
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 2:48 pm

Web'r..

Cunningly employing his sword's pointy end, Web'r kills a man in front of him. Crixous puts his back to Web'r's, then drops another Shark lad with his stout pin. The two remaining swordsmen yelp in surprise, but continue their attack, while their compatriots let fly again.

A Shark lad nicks Crixous with his sword, and both the half-orc and caveman suffer the darts and daggers of outrageous misfortune. Crixous takes 14 damage, Web'r takes 12 damage.

Crixous is looking pretty hurt. From behind, Web'r hears Beasly scrape his sword from it's scabbard. "This won't do it all. Can't have my our new recruit cut down by a gang of fancy lads".

OOC: John, Web'r get's 2 attacks this round.

Last edited by Mallus on Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:14 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 2:48 pm

The member 'Mallus' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'd20' : 1, 7

#2 'd6' : 6, 6
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 2:55 pm

rolling - attacks
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 2:55 pm

'd20' : 14, 13, 15, 6, 9, 2, 6, 5, 14, 4, 19, 8, 10, 20, 16, 4
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 3:00 pm

rolling - damage
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 3:00 pm

#1 'd8' : 2

#2 'd4' : 1, 2

#3 'd6' : 4

#4 'd4' : 3

#5 'd6' : 5, 4
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 3:22 pm

Web'r...

It takes two solid hits from Crixous, but another sword-swinging Shark lad goes down. That leaves 1 swordsman on Web'r, and the four projectile guys, though they're drawing swords now...

... and Beasley is finally entering the fray, moving in on two of Shark lads who have apparently run out of throwing daggers.

OOC: John, make your attack this round and then roll for initiative for Web'r and Crixous next round -- I keep forgetting to do this!!

Init:

Shark Lads - 3

Beasley - 6

Last edited by Mallus on Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 3:22 pm

#1 'd6' : 3

#2 'd6' : 6
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 3:24 pm

rolling - Crixous's attacks

Last edited by Mallus on Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 3:24 pm

#1 'd20' : 8, 7

#2 'd6' : 6, 3
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 4:16 pm

Bleeding freely now, Web'r makes a series of increasingly frenzied swings at his remaining foe. "Have you made peace with the sea spirits?" he asks Cruxous.

OOC: First attack is a 12, for 12 damage. If that drops him, great. If not, he'll make his second attack and miss with a natural 1. Not a fumble, apparently.

Initiative: 3

6 HP remaining.

Last edited by Rolzup on Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 4:16 pm

#1 'd20' : 7, 1

#2 'd8' : 5, 3

#3 'd6' : 3
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 4:21 pm

Fumble?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 4:21 pm

'd20' : 12
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Web'r...

Beasley unleashes two controlled strikes against one of the dagger men. His movements suggest a man injured many times, or someone beginning to suffer from arthritis. Regardless, the Shark lad crumples.

Rolzup wrote:
"Have you made peace with the sea spirits?" he asks Cruxous.
"Hells no!" Crixous pivots and strikes Web'r's foe. The first blow cuts the man's leg, the second sees Crixous's sword slip out of his hand and onto the planking beneath. "Godsdamnit!" he snarls.

One of the lads who had been hurling darts cries, "Careful Curtis is down! Shit, let's go. You're on your own, Ben Brine". The dart-and-dagger crew break and run.

Ben Brine's eyes flick from his blade-less opponent, to Web'r, then to Beasley. "Ransom. The Shark's will pay ransom" spits what is now obviously the very young man bleeding in front of them. That's as far as he goes, pleading-wise. He drops his sword.

Crixous eyes the fleeing Shark lads silently. Then he says to Web'r in a conversational tone, "This city's turning to shit. And shit's what it started as. Web'r, I'll not see you back in the Merchant Marines. You'd jeopardize any crew who had the misfortune of sailing with you. But you saved my life today. So ask anything else and I'll make it so."

Beasley listens to the half-orcs speech with a pained look on his face. "Hrrmm".

Last edited by Mallus on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:34 am; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 21, 2011 5:02 pm

#1 'd20' : 11, 8

#2 'd8' : 5, 4

#3 'd20' : 5, 1

#4 'd8' : 1, 6
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 11:17 am

Mallus wrote:

Crixous eyes the fleeing Shark lads silently. Then he says to Web'r in a conversational tone, "This city's turning to shit. And shit's what it started as. Web'r, I'll not see you back in the Merchant Marines. You'd jeopardize any crew who had the misfortune of sailing with you. But you saved my life today. So ask anything else and I'll make it so."

Beasley listens to the half-orcs speech with a pained look on his face. "Hrrmm".

"I was not meant to live on the sea," Web'r admits. "The ground should stand still, and caves should not move about. And you owe me no debt, Elder. You have taught me the ways of the blade spirits, and that is a debt beyond measure. Indeed, I am seeking to learn even more!

"This gentleman here," Web'r indicates Beasley with a sweep of one long arm, "Has already agreed to teach me, in exchange for shiny stones, as ritual demands."
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2011 4:35 pm

Web'r...

Rolzup wrote:
"This gentleman here," Web'r indicates Beasley with a sweep of one long arm, "Has already agreed to teach me, in exchange for shiny stones, as ritual demands."
Crixous looks Web'r in his well-protected eyes with new-found respect.

"Go then. Join the Bellicose Fellows. Learn their archaic blade-style, it ain't half-bad, truth be told. Be warned, they'll make you wear a cape and a stupid hat. You're an honorable... man, Web'r, but so I am. Our accounts won't be square until I pay for my life".

Crixous and Beasley discuss the ransoming of Ben Brine. Beasley is happy to renounce all claims in matter. "A spot of too much bother on a hot afternoon like this. I'm happy to acquire such an apt and strapping pupil as Web'r". Beasley mops his brow with his kerchief. A lot of face paint comes off on the cloth. Beasely is wearing cosmetics. He's at least 10 years older than he first appears.

Before they go, Crixous says to Web'r, "Maybe I was too hard on you. I didn't dislike you. I just got fucking sick of people asking if you were a half-orc."

OOC: it will take Web'r 5 days to train under Master Beastly. He'll pay 1,000 GPs for the tutelage, something called "insurance" -- a kind of old Goetic contract rumored to have originated in the Hells-- and probationary dues for joining their fighter's trade union.
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 10:45 am

Mallus wrote:
"Go then. Join the Bellicose Fellows. Learn their archaic blade-style, it ain't half-bad, truth be told. Be warned, they'll make you wear a cape and a stupid hat. You're an honorable... man, Web'r, but so I am. Our accounts won't be square until I pay for my life".

"A hat with a feather? To curry favor with the bird spirits, and borrow some of their speed and grace? Sound thinking, that. And the cape is for...?" Web'r offers a helpless shrug. "I cannot guess. Are there cape spirits, then?

"As to accounts, let the sky spirits decide that. If it is meant to be so, we will meet again.

Mallus wrote:

Before they go, Crixous says to Web'r, "Maybe I was too hard on you. I didn't dislike you. I just got fucking sick of people asking if you were a half-orc."

"The ignorant should be pitied," Web'r says piously, "And then educated. A closed fist is often a great teacher, as you yourself have shown me."

Mallus wrote:
OOC: it will take Web'r 5 days to train under Master Beastly. He'll pay 1,000 GPs for the tutelage, something called "insurance" -- a kind of old Goetic contract rumored to have originated in the Hells-- and probationary dues for joining their fighter's trade union.

OOC: We can swing the cash, if only just, as I recall. And Insurance is another kind of magic, one that attempts to forestall ill fate by betting FOR it. Makes perfect sense; the spirits are ofttimes perverse.
Back to top Go down
YTBD

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2011 9:50 pm

Mallus wrote:
Nameless...

The cabinet-maker turned magician hits the markets on Gallowsbird Street from the Slaughterhouse to Rum Town, looking for pearls to ingest during his Spell of Identification. One of the three human "city watchmen" who ran off after the minotaur collapsed hangs dead from one of the many public gallows lining the dock.

The going rate for River Pearls with the proper thamaturgic properties --size, shape, harmonic convergence-- is 150 GP per.

The going rate for suitable Aster Pearls, which glow slightly, is 50 GP. This luminescence makes them desirable by some, but feared by more. Rumor has it things pulled from the Aster are tainted with evil. Goblins, for instance.

OOC: How many of which does Namless buy?

I'm not sure what you're saying here. I'm guessing that one of the River pearls is sufficient since it's only supposed to cost 100 gold IIRC. So that probably means two of the other. Is there actually some advantage to the more expensive pearls?

Mallus wrote:
Nameless... Also, who does he seek training from? There's his old master, Xenophon Doge, but as with most magic users, his apprenticeship didn't end well. The woman who hired Pogsley and Sons is a possibility. He also recalls seeing some very interesting posters around the Blood Eye Tower, written in arcane script, promising tutelage for all "enlistees".

Does he know of anyone who "Meddles In Things Man Was Not Meant To Know!"?

If not the woman seems the best choice since she owes us and we might be able to negotiate the training as part of our payment.
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 3:55 pm

Nameless...

OOC: sorry for the delay...

YTBD wrote:
Is there actually some advantage to the more expensive pearls?
Possibly. Some sages believe River Pearls are safer to ingest. Because they didn't grow in the Chaos-infused waters of the Aster Sea, and therefor are less likely to transform you into a goblin.

On the other hand, Aster Pearls are innately magical (they glow!). Some say increase the effectiveness of spells using them as components. Plus, they're cheaper!

YTBD wrote:
Does he know of anyone who "Meddles In Things Man Was Not Meant To Know!"?
OOC: good question, I'll roll for you (62 on d100). That's not good enough for solid leads, but...

... it is said many magic-users dwell in the Port inside the spires of Immanent Cathedral, which is all that remains of the Old Goetic Empire's capital city from the World Before. They're Tieflings, mostly, and they look down on people with demon blood, or at least proof of future eternal damnation...

... then there's Peng Fang, a renegade Dragonborn who studies sorcery instead of his races' ancient technology. His specialty is the secrets of life itself, and he oversees a fantastic, and deadly 'garden' full of both captured and created monsters. Famed for his reclusive and hostile nature , it is said he can be bribed with 'gifts' of exotic specimens.

Quote :
If not the woman seems the best choice since she owes us and we might be able to negotiate the training as part of our payment.
Dahlia Dash is willing to make training Nameless part of her payment to Pogsley and Sons.
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 11:03 am

All...

OOC:

Here's where things stand.

Pogsley, Brother Bennindus, and Web'r have secured training. The party has just enough money to pay, if they sell all their remaining scrolls. Nameless can train under Dahlia Dash, if you choose to take her fee out of the money she promised Pogsley. Or if you come up with another 1,000 GP.

Regardless of what kind of pearl Nameless uses, he'll Identify the magic ring as a Ring of Protection +1. It's worth around 10,000 GP. Pogsley couldn't find a buyer for the Aster Diamond. All he got was the advice "try selling it to a terrible monster".

Between looking for masters, trading, and training, 11 days pass, during which no one tries to arrest or assassinate you. Crumb the Thief is still Charmed, and hiding at Mrs. Funicular's boarding house. The miniature dryads continue to nag Pogsley.

They want <unison>"to be reunited with their egg"</unison>. But they've taken no further action. Yet.
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 11:57 am

Web'r, now sporting a cloak, a hat with a dangerously long plume, lacy cuffs, and a very strongly perfumed handkerchief, is entirely ready for the trip.

He's not entirely pleased with his new outfit, but seems resigned to it. "The blade spirits have strange whims," he grumbles.
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 4:55 pm

Web'r

Rolzup wrote:
Web'r, now sporting a cloak, a hat with a dangerously long plume, lacy cuffs, and a very strongly perfumed handkerchief, is entirely ready for the trip.
Master Beastly is pleased with his choice of attire. As is the Sergeant-Sartorial, John Thomas Bearkiller, their head tailor. Web'r is now a Member-Probationary in good standing of the Bellicose Fellows Local 101.

"Just between you, me, and that stag head on the wall, we're going to have more trouble with those Shark boys. Mark my words. It won't be long before they try to raid us."

Beasley draws his curved, sparkling-edged sword. "For our magic, you see. This Yataghan sword was forged in the World Before by Goetic savages on the Magna Publica's east frontier. The Fellows have been around the ruin a few times. We've acquired much. But now we need stout and malleable new lads to keep it all safe."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for learning.   Looking for learning. - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Looking for learning.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Port :: The Game Itself :: Tales-
Jump to: