The Port

This is what happens after a world ends.
 
HomeGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Fiances and Other Demons

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Fiances and Other Demons   Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:43 am

"Such entertainment," exclaims Countess Jael, as she toasts to your victory in battle with a goblet of blood, "And what a delight to see that little cur Zerris running away with his tail between his legs! Marvelous!"

If she's noticed that the bride-to-be has vanished, she makes no sign of it. "Sir Yatagan, I'm certain the pummeling you gave him will make you the talk of the town!"

The Countess invites the entire party to stay at her mansion. If such luxurious surroundings are not to anyone likings, there are a variety of hotels in town.

An investigation of the courtyard below the window finds the slain body of two of Viscount Zerris Yarn's underlings, but no sign of Z'roa Pesach or the orange-and-white cat.

* * *

The next morning, the Countess announces that she has secured an early appointment for you with the Aurisees at the Temple Bank of the G-LD, where she believes you have a chance to convince them that they should trade your faux goddess for their current entry in the festival contest: Bligham the Gold Eater.

The Temple Bank is an amazing building of white marble with huge columns in the front and a blindingly bright, solid gold dome atop its fourth floor. Murals of gold inlay cover the interior walls, depicting great moments from scripture, such as the miner that first discovered gold (on the island of Avernus), the pressing of the first gold coins, the first high interest loan, etc.

Inside, the great lobby, the Aurisees are conducing prayers and financial transactions. They dress completely in black except for large gold tablets that hang from around their necks. Maror and Charoset seek out a particularly wizened-looking priest and bow before him and make a small offering before making introductions. His name is Lender Frippery ("lender" being his rank amongst the Aurisees).





Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:02 pm

gridley wrote:

The Countess invites the entire party to stay at her mansion. If such luxurious surroundings are not to anyone likings, there are a variety of hotels in town.

Vox will happily take her up on this offer, and spend part of the evening making certain that he can come and go undetected. Where is the mansion, in relation to the rest of the island?

gridley wrote:
An investigation of the courtyard below the window finds the slain body of two of Viscount Zerris Yarn's underlings, but no sign of Z'roa Pesach or the orange-and-white cat.

OOC: How did the deceased meet their end? Fell, stabbed, burned, nibbled to death by demonic ducks? I'm hoping for the latter, mind.

* * *

gridley wrote:

Inside, the great lobby, the Aurisees are conducing prayers and financial transactions. They dress completely in black except for large gold tablets that hang from around their necks. Maror and Charoset seek out a particularly wizened-looking priest and bow before him and make a small offering before making introductions. His name is Lender Frippery ("lender" being his rank amongst the Aurisees).

This being Yatigan's show, Vox stays in the back, trying to lurk menacingly and darting threatening looks at anyone who approaches too closely. Quickly growing bored with this, he begins making animate shadow puppets.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:25 pm

gridley wrote:
"Sir Yatagan, I'm certain the pummeling you gave him will make you the talk of the town!"
OOC: "Yatagan's gallantry was spoken of even in Hell. Or perhaps 'only in Hell'."

Quote :
The Countess invites the entire party to stay at her mansion. If such luxurious surroundings are not to anyone likings, there are a variety of hotels in town.
OOC: Yatagan will risk doctrinal impurity, not too mention Lizzie's wrath, and stay at the Countess's estate. It has a delicious fountain!

Rolzup wrote:
This being Yatigan's show...
OOC: it's really Fagin's show, but that won't stop Yatagan from speaking up...

IC:

Yatagan ogles the magnificent, even architectural uses of gold on display at the Temple Bank as his Draconic heritage overwhelms his revolutionary fervor. I as vast he thinks. I contain contradictions. By the time the introductions are over, he recovers enough from his wealth-induced reverie to mutter a brief prayer and then bellow at the aged priest.

"Mr. Frippery, I'll cut right to the chase. We are in possession of a superior sacrifice for the festival. A goddess made of solid gold. Not only that, her faith was crafted by my ancient ancestors. We should like to make a deal. If you are not the man we should be speaking to, please tell us who is."

OOC: Yatagan is trying to avoid direct lies. Hopefully the bit about 'her faith being crafted' is sufficiently ambiguous. That should be honest enough for Hell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:38 pm

gridley wrote:
The Countess invites the entire party to stay at her mansion. If such luxurious surroundings are not to anyone likings, there are a variety of hotels in town.

Chakram is very happy to accept the Countess' hospitality. Not having to be at Count Orquiel's beck and call is a pleasure she plans to quite enjoy, and doing so in incredibly luxury is a significant bonus.

Quote :
The next morning...

At the bank, figuring that matters are best (or, at least, mostly) left to this odd group that she is now simultaneously shadowing and a part of, Chakram leaves the talking mostly to them, but will stay nearby and murmur a quiet suggestion or warning as needed. She does reiterate to Yatagan that he should really avoid mentioning the whole "we built her" angle to the goddess.

OOC: Mechanically speaking, any of the PCs hanging out near her (within 25 feet) will get a +2 bonus to Diplomacy and Intimidate. She'll also Aid Another as needed, automatically succeeding on Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, History, Religion and Streetwise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:37 pm

Rolzup wrote:
OOC: How did the deceased meet their end? Fell, stabbed, burned, nibbled to death by demonic ducks? I'm hoping for the latter, mind.

Repeated stab wounds by a small blade.

Mallus wrote:
"Mr. Frippery, I'll cut right to the chase. We are in possession of a superior sacrifice for the festival. A goddess made of solid gold. Not only that, her faith was crafted by my ancient ancestors. We should like to make a deal. If you are not the man we should be speaking to, please tell us who is."

OOC: Yatagan is trying to avoid direct lies. Hopefully the bit about 'her faith being crafted' is sufficiently ambiguous. That should be honest enough for Hell.

Give me a diplomacy check.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: )   Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:52 pm

shilsen wrote:
She does reiterate to Yatagan that he should really avoid mentioning the whole "we built her" angle to the goddess.
OOC: he's not saying that --exactly-- he's being coy and clever, well for Yatagan. Maybe he should phrase it more like 'her religion was built up by my ancestors'. He's trying to imply she's the work of the propagandists of the Magna Publica, while wording it close enough to the truth ie she's the work of her engineers.

Quote :
OOC: Mechanically speaking, any of the PCs hanging out near her (within 25 feet) will get a +2 bonus to Diplomacy and Intimidate. She'll also Aid Another as needed, automatically succeeding on Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, History, Religion and Streetwise.
Excellent!

Yatagan's Diplomacy check: grrr.... Yatagan invokes his Choker of Eloquence's Daily power: re-roll 1 Diplomacy check... 36 (counting Chakram's aura and Aid Another)


Last edited by Mallus on Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:52 pm

The member 'Mallus' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 3
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:53 pm

re-roll...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:53 pm

The member 'Mallus' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 8
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:58 pm

Mallus wrote:
"Mr. Frippery, I'll cut right to the chase. We are in possession of a superior sacrifice for the festival. A goddess made of solid gold. Not only that, her faith was crafted by my ancient ancestors. We should like to make a deal. If you are not the man we should be speaking to, please tell us who is."

Lender Frippery seems skeptical. "And where is this golden goddess you speak of? I should like to see her."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:55 am

OOC: should we wait for Mike, or forge ahead ourselves? -- and please, don't let Yatagan do all the talking. Or thinking!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:26 am

Mallus wrote:
OOC: should we wait for Mike, or forge ahead ourselves? -- and please, don't let Yatagan do all the talking. Or thinking!

I just sent Mike an email, so hopefully he'll show up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Atlatl Jones

avatar

Posts : 138
Join date : 2008-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:02 pm

gridley wrote:
"Such entertainment," exclaims Countess Jael, as she toasts to your victory in battle with a goblet of blood, "And what a delight to see that little cur Zerris running away with his tail between his legs! Marvelous!"

If she's noticed that the bride-to-be has vanished, she makes no sign of it. "Sir Yatagan, I'm certain the pummeling you gave him will make you the talk of the town!"

The Countess invites the entire party to stay at her mansion. If such luxurious surroundings are not to anyone likings, there are a variety of hotels in town.
Fagin says, "It would be an honor to accept your hospitality. After all, it is a sin in the eyes of The G-LD G-d to refuse opulence. As it is written in the book of Deutursury, 'You shalt not not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor.' For the G-LD is as generous with its double negatives as it is with the wealth of others.

I am glad you enjoyed the battle. I thought it especially blasphemous to recruit one of Our Ancient Enemy as my champion, and brought him here at considerable expense. Expense that he paid, mind you."

Quote :
The next morning, the Countess announces that she has secured an early appointment for you with the Aurisees at the Temple Bank of the G-LD, where she believes you have a chance to convince them that they should trade your faux goddess for their current entry in the festival contest: Bligham the Gold Eater.

OOC: "Aurisees." Nice.

"Is that the false prophet Bligham Young, patron of desert wastelands, polyamory, and magical undergarments? It pains me to not see him put to death for our peoples' enjoyment, but the G-LD is a strict master."

Quote :
The Temple Bank is an amazing building of white marble with huge columns in the front and a blindingly bright, solid gold dome atop its fourth floor. Murals of gold inlay cover the interior walls, depicting great moments from scripture, such as the miner that first discovered gold (on the island of Avernus), the pressing of the first gold coins, the first high interest loan, etc.

Fagin's eyes grow misty as he sees his beloved Temple Bank. On his way in, he makes sure to place an offering on the top of the pyrimidal altar of the prophet Ponzi. He kneels and pulls out his prayer purse, and starts counting the string of stolen gold coins while davening and mumbling prayers.

Once he finishes his brief prayer, he stands and turns to Lender Frippery.

"Have you not heard of the Golden Goddess of the eladrin? She shows that The G-LD is present everyware, and permeates all transactions, even those of the nancy fey."

"It's good to see you again, Frippery. How is your sister's goiter?"


Last edited by Atlatl Jones on Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Atlatl Jones

avatar

Posts : 138
Join date : 2008-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:30 pm

shilsen wrote:
Mallus wrote:
OOC: should we wait for Mike, or forge ahead ourselves? -- and please, don't let Yatagan do all the talking. Or thinking!

I just sent Mike an email, so hopefully he'll show up.

Here I am.

BTW, I love the thread title. What's next, "100 Years of Self-Centeredness?" "The General in His Semen?" "Memories of My Melancholy Urchins?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:07 pm

Atlatl Jones wrote:
"It would be an honor to accept your hospitality. After all, it is a sin in the eyes of The G-LD G-d to refuse opulence. As it is written in the book of Deutursury, 'You shalt not not covet anything that belongs to your neighbor.' For the G-LD is as generous with its double negatives as it is with the wealth of others.

ooc: Hehe....

Atlatl Jones wrote:
OOC: "Aurisees." Nice.

ooc: Thanks!

Atlatl Jones wrote:

On his way in, he makes sure to place an offering on the top of the pyramidal altar of the prophet Ponzi.

ooc: That's great.

Atlatl Jones wrote:
"Have you not heard of the Golden Goddess of the eladrin? She shows that The G-LD is present everywhere, and permeates all transactions, even those of the nancy fey."

"You mean Kommarel herself?" Frippery narrows his eyes. "But however did you come into possession of her?"

Atlatl Jones wrote:
"It's good to see you again, Frippery. How is your sister's goiter?"

"Much better!" he says. "Her medical expenses are a virtual sermon on the healing power of G-LD."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:23 pm

Atlatl Jones wrote:

Here I am.
So you are... and well done! The Prophet Ponzi and Deuturusuary are classic.

edit: @Steve -- though 'Aurisees' is pretty good, too.

Atlatl Jones wrote:
BTW, I love the thread title. What's next, "100 Years of Self-Centeredness?" "The General in His Semen?" "Memories of My Melancholy Urchins?"
It should be "100 Years of Avarice".

Also... "The Very Strange-Looking Man With An Enormous Pig"




Last edited by Mallus on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:24 pm

gridley wrote:

"But however did you come into possession of her?"
"Through the judicious application of our talents" says Yatagan curtly.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:34 pm

Mallus wrote:
gridley wrote:

"But however did you come into possession of her?"
"Through the judicious application of our talents" says Yatagan curtly.

"Is for being fate," Vox blurts, much to his own surprise. "Was being meant to have her, for to be bringing her where she is best belonging."

He reels back a step. "I didn't know that you could do that," he hisses. "Stop it, dammit!"

Offering a weak smile, he makes a vague gesture. "Spirit moves me, sometimes," he mumbles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:00 pm

Mallus wrote:
"Through the judicious application of our talents" says Yatagan curtly.

"Then she is... stolen?" asks Frippery.

"Liberated," suggests Charoset.

Lender Frippery furrows his brow and rubs one of his horns.

Rolzup wrote:
"Is for being fate," Vox blurts, much to his own surprise. "Was being meant to have her, for to be bringing her where she is best belonging."

"Yes," says Frippery, nodding. "As in the sacred Book of Exodus, when the G-LD commanded Ahrimoses to take all the G-LD out of the bondage of our enemies and carry it to the Promised Bank here in the Hells where it belonged. You are clearly a man who knows his scripture."

Frippery puts his hands on his hips and says, "Bring your golden goddess here in an hour's time and we shall present her to the elder Aurisees. We'll need to study her before we can consider offering her up as our chosen sacrifice."

Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:05 am

gridley wrote:
Frippery puts his hands on his hips and says, "Bring your golden goddess here in an hour's time and we shall present her to the elder Aurisees. We'll need to study her before we can consider offering her up as our chosen sacrifice."

Ah! I'm looking forward to the bullshitting this will entail.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:19 am

OOC: is an hour enough time for Yatagan to find/buy/cobble together the Piggurat Mark II? Do any opportunities present themselves on the way back to the Countess's estate?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:47 pm

Mallus wrote:
OOC: is an hour enough time for Yatagan to find/buy/cobble together the Piggurat Mark II? Do any opportunities present themselves on the way back to the Countess's estate?

Make a shopping check! (streetwise)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:12 pm

gridley wrote:
Make a shopping check! (streetwise)
Yatagan asks Vox nicely if he can check around for a mode of transport fit for a (divine) pig, err golden goddess.

Then he pokes his own snout around a bit: Streetwise: 17


Last edited by Mallus on Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:12 pm

The member 'Mallus' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 6
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:11 pm

Mallus wrote:

Yatagan asks Vox nicely if he can check around for a mode of transport fit for a (divine) pig, err golden goddess.

Then he pokes his own snout around a bit: Streetwise: 17

Once Yatagan explains something about what he is looking for, Chakram makes a suggestion or two regarding places where they can find something of the kind. "Personally," she says, "I suggest trying to avoid drawing any attention to her, unless ....," she pauses, and then grins, momentarily taking on an expression which might be better suited to the crocodile head of Orquiel, "...you can draw a lot of attention to her."

The tiefling looks around the small group and explains, "Since the festival's a competition, after all, a deity who's already well-known and which the local populace particularly want to see sacrificed has a bit of an advantage over the others. Though the more hidebound of the judges don't like it. A few years ago, there was a really minor deity called Silly-sham Hung, god of hip-thrusts and little explosions (don't ask!), whose sponsors got her into the competition by carrying her around town with music playing and large signs proclaiming, "She bangs! She bangs!" I believe old Simon the Scowler, head judge at the time, almost exploded in indignation when the local popularity got her in."

Chakram shakes her head slightly at the memory and says, "Anyway, that's just a suggestion."

OOC: Chakram can take 10 for a 27 on Streetwise.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Fiances and Other Demons   

Back to top Go down
 
Fiances and Other Demons
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» South Oz numbers

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Port :: The Game Itself :: Tales-
Jump to: