The Port

This is what happens after a world ends.
 
HomeGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 The (Great?) Train Robbery

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:26 pm

In the besieged train, Artichoke and Artur hear shouts and the shattering of glass from the Geographer's car, followed by a chilling whoosh, a sudden heat, the acrid and insistent tang of smoke in an enclosed space, and more shouts peppered with a scream or two.

"Fuck this" yells Denham Betwixt. "Ready a harpoon."

Atop the besieged train, Roxy stands resplendent, like a cross-dressing oak, as the orc's fire oil cascades harmlessly off her oiled skin. None of orcish fire-bombers remain on the train's roof. Vox and the profane man with the horns stands behind Roxy. Behind them is the wounded Dragonborn priest, and on the car behind him, nearer the front of the Great Train, stand two ethereal gray Gith longbowmen, casually taking aim. You can make off two more of these things standing far off on the other side of the Geographer's car.

Floating above the train is an airship; a boat-like vessel suspended beneath a spiny multicolor Aster Starfish, which resembles a whale-sized, energy-ray emitting puffer fish and richly deserves it's Port nickame of "Awesome Blowfish". The captive sorceress on the gunner's boom is busy stroking the fish's fins with caresses of liquid force.

On the deck nearly a dozen crossbowmen are lining up along the port gunwale and an impressive-looking Dragonborn is slowly unfurling his huge clockwork wings. This must be the Interior-obsessed aeronaut they talk about in the Port -- Abimelech Aquilla-Fuga, captain of the Brave New World.

Directly in front of Roxy, two Dragonnborn and two Tieflings take cover behind boxy metal protuberances on the roof of the Geographer's car. That car is one of the few unmarked by starry black fire from the airship.

OOC: it's your turn. After you all go, it'll be the air-pirates turn. Artichoke and Artur are inside car #2.

(Also, sorry this took so long, been busy.)

Map: the cars run front-to-back #1-#4. The black squares are holes in the train roof granting access to the inside of the train. The darker gray squares grant cover.


Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:36 am

OOC: I must confess, I haven't the slightest idea of what powers Vox did or didn't use last week...let alone what was used after I left. Or is this a new encounter? And how high up is the Fish?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
overeddie

avatar

Posts : 242
Join date : 2009-02-04

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:36 am

OOC: I believe Artur was actually on the roof at the end of the session. He was behind the hole. He had taken damage from one of the angels.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:12 pm

Rolzup wrote:
OOC: I must confess, I haven't the slightest idea of what powers Vox did or didn't use last week...let alone what was used after I left. Or is this a new encounter? And how high up is the Fish?
OOC: let's make it simple: this is a new encounter.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:13 pm

overeddie wrote:
OOC: I believe Artur was actually on the roof at the end of the session. He was behind the hole. He had taken damage from one of the angels.
OOC: oops, you're right. Artur is on the roof and he took 8 pts. of damage and is Dazed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:55 pm

Mallus wrote:
Rolzup wrote:
OOC: I must confess, I haven't the slightest idea of what powers Vox did or didn't use last week...let alone what was used after I left. Or is this a new encounter? And how high up is the Fish?
OOC: let's make it simple: this is a new encounter.

So, that zone I created last round lasts until the end of the encounter. Did I cast it during the current encounter or the one that just ended?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:14 pm

gridley wrote:
Did I cast it during the current encounter...
OOC: yes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:51 am

Vox, moving swiftly, uses his knife to slice of a piece of his own shadow, which he then loops around the priest's throat. He yanks the unfortunate fellow closer, even as Vox himself lunges towards the side of the car and over the side.

OOC: All right, then. Throw a Shroud onto the priest, and then use Executioner's Noose to injuring him and pull him two squares closer...and thus, into the hole.

19 vs. Fortitude, and a total of 14 damage, if any.

Follow up my moving to the side of the car and dropping down to cling to the edge of the roof, moving hand-by-hand closer to the car to the rear -- Athletics 19, or Acrobatics 23, whichever is more appropriate. Assuming that halves his movement, it should take him to G11.


Last edited by Rolzup on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:51 am

The member 'Rolzup' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'd20' : 7

--------------------------------

#2 'd6' : 4, 3

--------------------------------

#3 'd20' : 6
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:26 pm

OOC: I'll get back to this tonight. I'm flying to San Francisco. If my iPhone could handle zip files, I could dm from the departure lounge! (next time I'll mail the adventure to myself as plain text)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:39 pm

Mallus wrote:

"Fuck this" yells Denham Betwixt. "Ready a harpoon."

Two questions, then I'll go:

One -- How far away from Roxy is Denham setting up his harpoon gun?

Two -- Is it possible that Roxy could hitch a ride on one of the harpoons? (a la Slim Pickens in Dr. Strangelove)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:02 pm

Rolzup wrote:
19 vs. Fortitude, and a total of 14 damage, if any.
OOC: just missed, you needed 20. Does the slide only occur on a hit? In not, priest is in the hole.

Rolzup wrote:
Assuming that halves his movement, it should take him to G11.[/i]
OOC: Vox in hanging out (off?) at G11.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:07 pm

gridley wrote:

One -- How far away from Roxy is Denham setting up his harpoon gun?
OOC: Roxy can't see this, only Christabel can. Denham and Co. are inside the Geographer's train car. Roxy is currently outside, standing on the roof of the car ahead of theirs. And yes, that means Denham is trying to fire the harpoon off inside the car. Though he might change his mind. Smoke is starting to pour from his car's tiny, slitted windows, the majority of which seem to be stuck shut.

Quote :
Two -- Is it possible that Roxy could hitch a ride on one of the harpoons? (a la Slim Pickens in Dr. Strangelove)
OOC: we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:06 am

Mallus wrote:
OOC: just missed, you needed 20. Does the slide only occur on a hit? In not, priest is in the hole.
OOC: Hit is required, damn the luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:41 pm

Christabel takes one look at the hole in the ceiling and decides that she has little chance of making it up there - and even less inclination for being on the roof of a moving train. "You guys take care!" she calls up loudly, "I'm going to go check on the next car!"

With that, the deva turns and heads cautiously towards the Geographer's car, Oothoon trotting obediently ahead of her.

OOC: Christabel goes total defense and takes a move (six squares) towards the Geographer's car, Oothoon preceding her.

What does she see going on in there?

HP 78 (Bloodied 39); Healing surges 11 (20 hp); AC 23, Fort 23, Ref 21, Will 25 (+1 to all defenses against attacks by bloodied creatures); resist 10 necrotic and resist 10 radiant; resist 5 poison
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:30 pm

Christabel sees a great deal of activity in the other car: three dwarves valiantly wrestling an oversized harpoon gun down from the overhead compartment, two half-elves readying small crossbows, and the rest covering their mouths with cloth, because a large quantity of their gear that was stowed at the far end of the car is on fire and emitting black acrid smoke, evidently having been torched by your attackers.

"It's no use Denham" shout-coughs one of the dwarves. "We have to fall back! The next car's clear!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:12 pm

"You boys stay here!" blurts out Roxy. Satisfied that Artur and her new friends are somewhat protected by her warding vines, she springs down the train towards the wounded Dragonborn priest. "I'll be right back!" she blurts as her skin suddenly becomes stonelike. Grinning at the priest, she swings her mighty hammer.

----------

Minor: Assume Form of the Stone Sentinel (Regain 1/4 HP without spending surge, gain 4 pts regeneration until end of encounter)

Move: I-12

Free: Mark Priest

Attack: Earth Shield Strike against Dragonborn priest (vs. AC): 24; 13 pts damage (+2 to Roxy's AC)

----------

AC: 26, Fort: 23, Ref: 17, Will: 21
HP: 101 (10 or 11 surges left; can't remember if Christabel gave me a surge or just some extra healing)

----------

All allies in rows 14-18 of Roxy's car have 4 points of damage resistance for as long as they stay in the zone (until end of encounter)


Last edited by gridley on Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:21 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:12 pm

The member 'gridley' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'd20' : 13

--------------------------------

#2 'd6' : 2, 2
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:11 pm

Roxy pounds the now terrified Dragonborn priest, bloodying him further. Two more good blows... ahem... and he'll go down (err...).

"For the Dragon's sake shoot her... him?!" he shouts to his Gith comrades on the adjacent car (#1). The two Gith carefully shift their aim from Artur to Roxy. The priest, in turn, prepares to leap cars.

On the car behind the Geographer's (#4), another armored Dragonborn pops out of what must be another hole blasted in the train's roof by the Aster Starfishes' bolts. He is shouting and waving his arms.

Above, the sorceress coaxes another starry black bolt from the Starfish, which strikes the train's lead car. The air pirate captain's clockwork wings give a shark creaking beat... and then lock in place as a oily dark smoke begins to rise from them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:31 pm

Putting his feet against the side of the car, Vox kicks off and swings up and back...vanishing into his own shadow as his feet would have hit the car again. He emerges with an neat backflip from the closest archer's shadow, and runs him through with a single swift movement.

OOC: So...throw a shroud on the bastard, use Inescapable Shadow to teleport 5 squares and end up behind him (C22), and then stabulate him good. 25 vs. AC, 19 damage +2 from the Shroud.


Last edited by Rolzup on Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:31 pm

The member 'Rolzup' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'd20' : 9

--------------------------------

#2 'd8' : 4, 4

--------------------------------

#3 'd6' : 2
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:36 am

On top of car #1...

Vox crosses over to the Other Side and materializes behind one the Githyanki archers. He stabs at it... unfortunately it's surrounded by a partially-visible shell of nigh-impregnable willpower, giving it the equivalent protection of Yatagan's heaviest plate armor. On the plus side, should his blade penetrate, the Gith himself looks rather frail.

The Gith shifts, fires an arrow at Vox and misses, while his companion retreats several paces and shoots Roxy in her (artificial) chest.

OOC: Roxy takes 8 damage and is Dazed for 1 round.

On top of car #2

Seeing his attacker momentarily confused, the priest makes a leap for the next car (moves to D25), utters a Draconic curse of damnation at Roxy, and breathes a cone of frost.

OOC: Roxy takes 9 damage from his breath weapon.

Also, Gepettojack and Artur need to take their turns.


Inside car #2

Christabel hears another salvo of shattering glass, sees a great deal of smoke roiling out of the back of the Geographer's car, and prepares to get the hell out of the way as the members of Denham Betwixt's expedition begin to rush for the door she's standing in front of.

On top of car 3#

The armored Dragonborn that emerged from the hole in the far train car runs at full tilt toward his comrades atop the Geographer's car, shouting commands in an indecipherable pirate's cant. The two Tieflings draw up behind the staff-armed Dragonborn, who in turn rise from crouches and make ready to jump (onto car #2).

On top of car #4

The two Githyanki archers keep watch over the rear part of the train, firing on anyone attempting to gain the roof.

Above

Meanwhile, the crossbowmen on the airship rain bolts down on you as what must be the airship's engineer attempts a hasty field repair of the captain's balky mechanical wings.

Vox is hit for 3. Roxy is hit for 3. The rest of the bolts miss Gepettojack completely.

edit: oops, I keep forgetting to put Artur on the map.



Last edited by Mallus on Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:27 am; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:36 am

The member 'Mallus' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'd20' : 1, 6

--------------------------------

#2 'd10' : 9
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:52 am

more rolls...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:52 am

The member 'Mallus' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'd20' : 6

--------------------------------

#2 'd8' : 4, 7

--------------------------------

#3 'd20' : 20

--------------------------------

#4 'd6' : 3

--------------------------------

#5 'd20' : 6, 2, 17, 2, 15, 6, 5, 5, 7, 3
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: The (Great?) Train Robbery   

Back to top Go down
 
The (Great?) Train Robbery
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Vanfest 2011 - Sept 9, 10, 11 - Great Malvern
» GL Fandango tank bag - Great Bag!
» Great Orme session today
» how do you train your hook
» Great Planes Venus 40

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Port :: The Game Itself :: Tales-
Jump to: