The Port

This is what happens after a world ends.

HomeGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Day The Leeches Died

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:14 pm

As his fingers touch the deck, Yatigan feels a strange but not entirely unpleasant tingling. The topmost card seems almost to leap into his hand, and when it does....

He's standing on a stage, a sheaf of parchment clutched one trembling hand, as a wave of applause rolls over him. This, the premiere performance of his greatest masterpiece, has been a far greater success than Yatigan ever dared dream.

So much a success, in fact, that he barely notices the pain caused by the six swords that have been thrust into his body, and still protrude from his chest, back, and sides.

He starts to speak, to acknowledge the words of the crowd, but as soon as he opens his mouth a gout of blood gushes forth. And without saying a word, he falls prone upon the stage.

The applause, if anything, grows louder.

The others see none of this, except for the swords appearing from nowhere and impaling Yatigan...who opens his eyes, to find that he is not, in fact, dead. But he does have the idea for a most marvelous production: characters are leaping fully-realized into his mind, sings bits of the most wonderful songs.

"Those blades should go away when you return to a more mundane reality," the old woman notes. "I could be wrong about that, mind."

OOC: No damage, not physically. But he's got an Aura now -- anyone, friend or foe, that comes adjacent to him takes 5 damage. And he's going to have a hell of a time getting through small spaces.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:31 pm

"I've become pierc'd by hot iron bodkins of pure inspiration!" shouts Yatagan triumphantly. "It's like... "

The Dragonborn breaks, uncontrollably, into song.

"... one, singular sensation, every little step I take!"

He takes a step towards the woman. "Bless you, Domna Fortuna, you are truly a generous, if cryptic, old biddy."

He jumps on her, trying to wrestle her to the ground, search her for valuables, and spray whatever eggs remain in her clutch with potent fluids.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:50 pm

Rolzup wrote:
The others see none of this, except for the swords appearing from nowhere and impaling Yatigan...

Artichoke promptly begins to raise his sword, saying, "What...

Quote :
who opens his eyes, to find that he is not, in fact, dead. But he does have the idea for a most marvelous production: characters are leaping fully-realized into his mind, sings bits of the most wonderful songs.

"...the bloody hell?!"

Quote :
"Those blades should go away when you return to a more mundane reality," the old woman notes. "I could be wrong about that, mind."

Mallus wrote:
He takes a step towards the woman. "Bless you, Domna Fortuna, you are truly a generous, if cryptic, old biddy."

He jumps on her, trying to wrestle her to the ground, search her for valuables, and spray whatever eggs remain in her clutch with potent fluids.

Artichoke sighs loudly and watches, wondering what's going to happen next.

Quote :
OOC: And he's going to have a hell of a time getting through small spaces.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:26 pm

Rolzup wrote:
The others see none of this, except for the swords appearing from nowhere and impaling Yatigan...who opens his eyes, to find that he is not, in fact, dead.

"Shway...." says Odanais, once his jaw finishes dropping. "Can I have a card too??"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:46 am

Mallus wrote:

She moves even as Yatigan does, pushing her chair back from the table and grabbing the hilt of one of the blades protruding from his side. She allows his own momentum to pull the sword free of his flesh, and the wound instantly begins to spurt an improbably copious amount of blood, spraying across the room and all those gathered in the doorway.

Yatigan feels his strength leaving him along with his blood, although he's now feeling rather pleasantly light-headed. "There is no difference," the old woman says absently, "Between the past, the present, and the future. All are but strands in a grand tapestry, for those with eyes to see it.

"In other words," she continues, ramming the sword back into Yatigan's open wound, stopping the bleeding, "I knew that you were going to do that, asshole. I'm an aspect of FATE, you stupid motherfucker."

"And yeah, here you go," she says to Odanais, flipping a card to him....

OOC: Results of said flip coming.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:53 am

Rolzup wrote:
nto Yatigan's open wound, stopping the bleeding, "I knew that you were going to do that, asshole. I'm an aspect of FATE, you stupid motherfucker."
"I'm Dragonborn; it's my nature" says Yatagan with just the barest hint of contrition before passing out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Atlatl Jones

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:56 pm

Rolzup wrote:
It goes on for quite some time, the carving, the serving, the vague figures walking away and eating the bits of flesh without ever pausing in their conversation. Lien's blood is collected in small ceramic bowls and various things are dipped in it before being consumed; the toxin that he was served has, it seems, subtly flavored blood and flesh both.

This was, he remembers now, something of an art in certain Tiefling circles.

He passes into unconsciousness gradually, despite the pain. And wakes in a chair, opening his bleary eyes to see the dance continuing and his flesh unmarred.
If a person falls unconscious inside a dream, will he himself dream? I'm curious what a dream inside a dream would be like.

Lien, sated for a moment, sighs and walks into the other room, looking more relaxed and at peace then he's been since you've met him.

"I must ask the owner of this memory where he gets his staff. I may have to hire him away from his current employment."

Then he notices Yatagan. "Can I have that card?" he asks the cranky seer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:57 am

Mallus wrote:
"I'm Dragonborn; it's my nature" says Yatagan with just the barest hint of contrition before passing out.

"I think he's lying," says Artichoke to nobody in particular as Yatagan collapses, "Since I've met a few dragonborn. It's pretty much that he's ... well, Yatagan." He sighs and adds, "Christabel, would you please make sure he doesn't bleed to death?"

Then Artichoke turns back to the woman and says his tone carefully respectful, "Madam, if you are an aspect of Fate as you say, then you must now why we are here. And you would know that we need to cleanse this area. Correct?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:27 am

"You're still big" says a figure in Yatagan's fever blood-loss dream, "it's epic poetry that's gotten smaller."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:56 pm

...as the card touches Odanais' fingers, he realizes that he's standing in an unfamiliar room, surrounded by a storm of books, swirling around him, more than a few striking him hard enough to draw blood.

As he staggers back in pain and shock, an open book slams hard into his face, but not before he glimpses an elaborately detailed map. And in particular one area of the map, labeled "The current location of the Blackbird".

With this, he snaps back into "normal" consciousness. Reaching up to assure himself that his face is, in fact, undamaged (for the pain has vanished), he touches something far more hairy than he's previously encountered.

The other see Odanais stagger a bit, raising his arms and swinging wildly at nothing, before clapping both hands to his face and pulling them away to reveal that he now sports the head of a lion.

The old woman blinks. "I have no idea what the hell that's about," she says quickly.

(Odanais is now mute...well, he can't speak intelligibly, at least. On the other hand, he can roar as an encounter power -- Minor action, Charisma vs. Will, Close Blast 3. On a successful hit, targets are dazed for a turn.)

shilsen wrote:
"Madam, if you are an aspect of Fate as you say, then you must now why we are here. And you would know that we need to cleanse this area. Correct?"

"Soon as you people are done with the cards, I can go. So if you wouldn't mind hurrying things along a bit?"

The card that Lien retrieves from Yatigan is made of a thing sheet of ivory, finely etched and delicately inked. It shows a Dragonborn figure, standing upon a stage, with six swords protruding from his body.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:32 pm

Rolzup wrote:
...as the card touches Odanais' fingers, he realizes that he's standing in an unfamiliar room, surrounded by a storm of books, swirling around him, more than a few striking him hard enough to draw blood.

As he staggers back in pain and shock, an open book slams hard into his face, but not before he glimpses an elaborately detailed map. And in particular one area of the map, labeled "The current location of the Blackbird".

With this, he snaps back into "normal" consciousness. Reaching up to assure himself that his face is, in fact, undamaged (for the pain has vanished), he touches something far more hairy than he's previously encountered.

The other see Odanais stagger a bit, raising his arms and swinging wildly at nothing, before clapping both hands to his face and pulling them away to reveal that he now sports the head of a lion.

The old woman blinks. "I have no idea what the hell that's about," she says quickly.

(Odanais is now mute...well, he can't speak intelligibly, at least. On the other hand, he can roar as an encounter power -- Minor action, Charisma vs. Will, Close Blast 3. On a successful hit, targets are dazed for a turn.)

"Meoooowwww?" says Odanais. "Meoooooww! Meow!"

Odanais takes out his notebook and tries to copy down the map that he saw.

OOC: Can he tell if it's the house that we're in and our relationship to the Blackbird (assuming it refers to the dream version of the house and not the real one)?

Then he tests out his Blazing Starfall spell in an unoccupied section of the room or the hallway, just to make sure he can still cast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:18 pm

gridley wrote:

OOC: Can he tell if it's the house that we're in and our relationship to the Blackbird (assuming it refers to the dream version of the house and not the real one)?

Then he tests out his Blazing Starfall spell in an unoccupied section of the room or the hallway, just to make sure he can still cast.

OOC: All he remembers of that map was the vivid colors and that single notation. But his magics still work fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Atlatl Jones

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:17 pm

Rolzup wrote:
The card that Lien retrieves from Yatigan is made of a thing sheet of ivory, finely etched and delicately inked. It shows a Dragonborn figure, standing upon a stage, with six swords protruding from his body.
As Lien touches the card, he looks down excitedly, expecting swords to erupt from his chest. When it doesn't happen, he signs disappointedly and gives Yatigan back his card.

"Fine, I'll take a card of my own. What's the worst that could happen, I'm already damned."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:18 pm

The card detonates at Lien's touch, exploding into shards with a sharp crack and a distinct smell of cinnamon filling the air.

"Oh, you BASTARD," the old woman cries, "Do you know how hard it is to replace these cards?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:44 am

Rolzup wrote:
"Soon as you people are done with the cards, I can go. So if you wouldn't mind hurrying things along a bit?"

"You did say we don't need to draw any cards if we don't want to, correct? If so, I think we're done with them already, thank you."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Atlatl Jones

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:48 pm

Rolzup wrote:
The card detonates at Lien's touch, exploding into shards with a sharp crack and a distinct smell of cinnamon filling the air.

"Oh, you BASTARD," the old woman cries, "Do you know how hard it is to replace these cards?"
Lien sighs. "As I suspected, I'm damned. I have no fate."

"I'm sorry about the cards. I'd pay you for the replacement, but I can't be accountable for any harms my damnation does on my behalf."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:40 pm

Yatagan regains consciousness. Ever discreet with his fluids, he spits a bloody foam behind him before saying "Nonsense Sir Lien. It is that you are blessed with so many fates, not none at all. Positively brimming over with destinies, another and another and another, like a horn endlessly full of sour candies! You overloaded the poor divining card, is all."

He picks himself up and checks to see if he is, in fact, riddled with swords. "Logic tells us Christabel should also refrain from drawing on Madame Fortune's deck. But what of Lizzy? Is 'fate' just another tool of the oppressor? Destiny an opiate doled out by the masters? Care to give it a go? It's exhilarating!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:09 pm

Mallus wrote:
Yatagan regains consciousness. Ever discreet with his fluids, he spits a bloody foam behind him before saying "Nonsense Sir Lien. It is that you are blessed with so many fates, not none at all. Positively brimming over with destinies, another and another and another, like a horn endlessly full of sour candies! You overloaded the poor divining card, is all."

He picks himself up and checks to see if he is, in fact, riddled with swords. "Logic tells us Christabel should also refrain from drawing on Madame Fortune's deck. But what of Lizzy? Is 'fate' just another tool of the oppressor? Destiny an opiate doled out by the masters? Care to give it a go? It's exhilarating!"

"Meow," says Odanais, nodding thoughtfully. "Meooooooow meow."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:01 pm

"It seems Mr. Dare has got the cat's tongue this time around" says Yatagan, impressed with his own Draconian cleverness. "Do you think these swords add to my stage presence?" he asks, in regard to the ironmongery currently piercing his bulk.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:20 pm

Dominic, with an elaborately casual shrug, steps forward and draws a card. He staggers a few steps back, clutching his chest and keening, and then falls on his ass. Shaking his head, he pulls himself to his feet and turns to face the others.

"Thith," he snaps, revealing that his tongue has been replaced by a sheet of green flame, "Ith unactheptable. And you," he continues, turning to Yatigan, "Are a thick thon of a bitch, but I mutht admire your moxie. I really hope I don't end up killing you."

He refuses to explain these comments, and -- clearly displeased by his new lisp -- seems disinclined to speak at all.

When the door swings shut behind the part it does so with an unquestionable finality; reopening it reveals what looks like a smoking room, one unoccupied by an old woman.

[I]OOC: If, indeed, Lizzy chooses to draw a card, we can backtrack a bit. So, two doors -- one just to the North, the other along the long hall, and a staircase.[/b]
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:58 pm

As the group leaves the room, Artichoke looks at Yatagan's stomachful of swords, Dominic's flaming mouth, and the now-meowing Odanais. He opens his mouth to say something, then closes it, sighs and heads for the door to the north.

OOC: John, is Odanais' casting impeded in any way by his ... er, meowing? (Edit: Thanks, Steve)

Last edited by shilsen on Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:37 pm

shilsen wrote:
OOC: John, is Odanais' casting impeded in any way by his ... er, meowing?

Rolzup wrote:
OOC: But his magics still work fine.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:37 am

Rolzup wrote:
So, two doors -- one just to the North, the other along the long hall, and a staircase.
Which is the widest? Yatagan will open that one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:07 pm

OOC:The one remaining door in the hallway that runs East/West is, perhaps, marginally larger. He'll still need to go through sideways, though....

A fairly elegant room, this, with many fine paintings along the walls in a variety of different styles. Most of them depict individuals, couples, or groups dancing...most, but by no means all, of a recognizable species. One of the larger one depicts the Count Orqiel in exquistely hideous detail, his lion rearing up with a black rose clenched in its jaws.

The furniture consists of a scattering of chairs, arranged in small groups.

There's a pair of heavy wooden doors in the Western wall, currently closed. Listening at them reveals nothing, but pushing them open -- they swing easily and soundlessly -- shows a large ballroom, with a balcony about 20' up running the entire perimeter of the room. On the area of balcony rirectly opposite the door, there are seats clearly meant for an orchestra of some size.

(Perception Checks, all around.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:00 pm

Perception (untrained) = 6 + 14 = 20.

(BTW, my copy of Divine Power came yesterday. I'm going to reconfigure Yatagan a bit after this adventure is over)

Last edited by Mallus on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Day The Leeches Died   

Back to top Go down

The Day The Leeches Died
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next