The Port

This is what happens after a world ends.

HomeGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

In the Church of the Poisoned Mind

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Thu May 28, 2009 11:29 am

The books that are more present than the others are concerned with matters of Theology/Demonology, and do tend to be of the more esoteric and boring sort. It takes a bit of work to make an account of a journey into Hell into a dry travelogue, for instance, but one "Marie de Faustest" managed to do it.

The less solid books lack any identifying marks; none that can be made out, rather. When examining them, the eye tends to slide away and find something more "real" to focus upon.

Any attempts to grab one of these, including Odanais's grasp with his mage hand, fail. It's never quite there when you reach for it, somehow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Thu May 28, 2009 12:03 pm

Artichoke pockets a couple of the more solid books, mainly for curiosity's sake, and then says, "If we're done here, let's check up the stairs." If the others are done with examining the place, he heads for the stairs with them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Thu May 28, 2009 12:28 pm

All he can think to steal is books? The man is as devoid of passion as he is of hair. I got a bottle of dream-Pernod and that cool lady-faced apple!

Yatagan flashes Saint Captain Artichoke a pitying look and then joins him on the stairs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Thu May 28, 2009 1:31 pm

shilsen wrote:
Artichoke pockets a couple of the more solid books, mainly for curiosity's sake, and then says, "If we're done here, let's check up the stairs." If the others are done with examining the place, he heads for the stairs with them.

The stairs go up. And up. And up. Eventually someone looks behind themselves, and realize that they've only ascended two or three feet after several minutes of climbing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Thu May 28, 2009 1:36 pm

Rolzup wrote:
The stairs go up. And up. And up. Eventually someone looks behind themselves, and realize that they've only ascended two or three feet after several minutes of climbing.

Artichoke sighs. "I guess Hidimba never went up these stairs." He glances up the stairs and then down again. "Looks like we're done here, unless someone has a better idea?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Thu May 28, 2009 2:15 pm

There is, once someone checks, a single door remaining -- around the corner, midway along the wall.

Approaching it, the door seems to be flexing slightly, rhythmically. Almost as though it's breathing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
overeddie

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Thu May 28, 2009 2:20 pm

"Must be the entrance to the geezer's lungs over here."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Fri May 29, 2009 10:25 am

overeddie wrote:
"Must be the entrance to the geezer's lungs over here."

"You're probably right, Lizzy, but we should check it out. Still, nobody poke anything in there, okay? Or, say, make a weasel dance on anything? Please!"

Artichoke moves up to the door and opens it, unless forestalled by one of the impending martyrs in the group.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Fri May 29, 2009 11:48 am

shilsen wrote:
"You're probably right, Lizzy, but we should check it out. Still, nobody poke anything in there, okay? Or, say, make a weasel dance on anything? Please!"

"I will attempt to control my weasel," says Odanais with a smile that seems to say but I make no promises.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Fri May 29, 2009 11:59 am

OOC: I am picturing the words "Poor Weasel Control" eventually stamped onto Odanais 2's forehead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
overeddie

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Fri May 29, 2009 12:45 pm

Mallus wrote:
OOC: I am picturing the words "Poor Weasel Control" eventually stamped onto Odanais 2's forehead.
In Soviet Russia, weasel controls you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Atlatl Jones

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Fri May 29, 2009 1:40 pm

shilsen wrote:
Lien says, in a depressive deadpan, "I will try to restrain my usual exuberant joie de vivre."

Quote :
Artichoke moves up to the door and opens it, unless forestalled by one of the impending martyrs in the group.
"The Impending Martyrs of Treasure" would make a great name for this group.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Fri May 29, 2009 3:48 pm

Atlatl Jones wrote:
"The Impending Martyrs of Treasure" would make a great name for this group.
Also a great name for a prog-rock band.

Their first album would be 'Divine Pork Loin in Aspic'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Fri May 29, 2009 9:32 pm

The door crumbles at Artichoke's touch, collapsing into a pile of warped and scorched wood. Nehind is a literally hellish vista; rivers of flame, distant towers built of brass and bone, faintly screaming figures begin driven across the landscape by some...thing with a whip.

Artichoke actually feels the terrible heat upon his face for a moment before the landscape collapses into a cloud of fine ash, revealing Odanais' opponent from the previous day curled on the ground in pool of foul smelling blood.

The demon looks up at you, bares its teeth in a snarl, and mutters something that's doubtless some kind of a curse before it lapses into unconsciousness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Fri May 29, 2009 10:11 pm

Artichoke recoils for a moment as the Abyss gazes back at him, and then stops as it disappears and is replaced by their recent opponent. "That is...," he begins, before pausing and correcting, "...or would have been weird anywhere else. Here," he shrugs.

Then he indicates the unconscious demon and steps out of the way. "I believe this one gave you a little trouble, Odanais. Care to dispose of it?"

If Odanais does, Artichoke says, "Thank you. Now let's be out and about. Cleaning up Mr. Hidimba takes more time than I had hoped it would."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Sat May 30, 2009 10:40 pm

"As you wish," says Odanais, dispatching the creature with a chaos bolt.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Sun May 31, 2009 10:00 pm

The corpse crumbles into a pile of smouldering ashes, only its cloak remaining.

(Cloak of the Walking Wounded -- Level 9, +2 Fortitude, Reflex, and Will, Property: If you use your second wind while bloodied, you can expend two healing surges instead of one (gaining hit points from both).)

Investigation of the other two doors leading from the Chapel proper reveals a narrow hallway on either side, each allowing access to four simple, small rooms. Probably intended to be used for contemplation or meditation; the rooms are virtually soundproof when their doors are closed.

These areas have the same vague quality as the previous section.

All that remains is to re-enter the garden, and to go either East or West....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:32 am

Rolzup wrote:
(Cloak of the Walking Wounded -- Level 9, +2 Fortitude, Reflex, and Will, Property: If you use your second wind while bloodied, you can expend two healing surges instead of one (gaining hit points from both).)

OOC: Nice. That's precisely what I had in mind for Artichoke's 9th lvl item. I wanted it because it means it's easier for him to heal himself without using up his Inspiring Word and other powers, so he can save them for others in the group.

Does anyone mind if I take it?

Quote :
Investigation of the other two doors leading from the Chapel proper reveals a narrow hallway on either side, each allowing access to four simple, small rooms. Probably intended to be used for contemplation or meditation; the rooms are virtually soundproof when their doors are closed.

These areas have the same vague quality as the previous section.

All that remains is to re-enter the garden, and to go either East or West....

Let's go West and find out what that bat thing that Tiddy Mun described is.

Also, some of you need to level your PCs up to 8th before we have another fight.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:49 am

shilsen wrote:
Yatagan doesn't mind. The cloak would clash with his Cravat of Efficacious Bullshitting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:24 am

shilsen wrote:

"Go for it, boss."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:48 pm

OOC: So, Captain...where to now?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:50 pm

Rolzup wrote:
OOC: So, Captain...where to now?

Tsk, tsk - you're ignoring my posts Sad

I mentioned in the last one that we should go west and find out what that bat thing that Tiddy Mun described is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:31 am

Uh...yeah, I knew that. Just making sure you hadn't changed your mind.

The band is in full swing as the party passes by, and Tiddy Mun waves cheerily without breaking rhythym. Brom the owlbear is dancing with a sort of clumsy grace, weaving his way around and between the other two dancers, stomping about and waving his arms as though he's about to take flight.

The doors to the West wing are made of wrought iron and some sort of smoky glass -- or perhaps translucent stone. It's difficult to say.

Behind them is a long hallway, portraits hanging along each wall, dimly lit by glowing spheres that hang from the ceiling. The spheres flicker every few seconds, going dark for a time, before lighting back up...but even then, it's too dark to make out the far end of the hall.

There are several doors on each wall visible from here, all of them closed.

Christobel notices motion about 40' away, as something small flits past one of the spheres just as it starts to go dark.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:07 am

As Christabel point out the flitting shape, Yatagan says cheerily, "I'll investigate". He lowers his axe, does brief, unmentionable things, and proceeds along the gallery with what he thinks of as a kind of lumbering grace, not wholly unlike that of the dancing owlbear.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:38 am

Mallus wrote:
As Christabel point out the flitting shape, Yatagan says cheerily, "I'll investigate". He lowers his axe, does brief, unmentionable things, and proceeds along the gallery with what he thinks of as a kind of lumbering grace, not wholly unlike that of the dancing owlbear.

Artichoke opens his mouth to say something about why it would be a bad idea to rush in, especially with the doors on either wall. Always protect your flanks and rear, he thinks, quoting from one of his own tracts, but then remembers something else he wrote in "Tactics, or Letting the Other Poor Bastard Die for his Cause" about how to deal with hidden enemies. (a) Try to draw the enemy's fire. (b) Try not to be the person drawing the enemy's fire.

Drawing his sword, he says, "Someone should back him up, just in case." He himself, however, makes no motion to follow, watching the doors instead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In the Church of the Poisoned Mind   

Back to top Go down

In the Church of the Poisoned Mind
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next