The Port
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Port

This is what happens after a world ends.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Worse than the Disease

Go down 
+3
Mallus
shilsen
Rolzup
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Mallus

Mallus

Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 3:13 pm

gridley wrote:
...then we shall have to be ones to do the molesting!
The Good Book says it's better to give than to receive.
Back to top Go down
overeddie

overeddie

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 3:24 pm

Molestation contains within it the seed of non-molestation.
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 3:45 pm

Rolzup wrote:
"I do hope that you're not insulted -- I would have laid the blame at your feet, seeing as how you're in charge of this circus, but at the time you'd fled to parts unknown."

Artichoke smiles weakly and then it broadens a little. "No, I think Yatagan is a more, um, worthy challenger."

Quote :
"A few weeks, I should think. I'm going to need to call in a lot of favors, practice my grovelling, and likely accept some deeply unpleasant duties for a bit."

"Ah. Best of luck."

Quote :
"Because their wholesale slaughter was playing merry hob with newly arrived souls, all confused and angry and uncertain. Really, it's not too much trouble to say a few words, is it? Let them know that they're dead?"

Artichoke nods slowly. "Very well. I shall remember that."

Quote :
If the evening wears on unmolested, Yatagan will begin casting about for people deserving of righteous provocation, so as to perchance indulge Artichoke's practice fetish.

Artichoke says nothing if he notices this, but he does surreptitiously loosen his sword in its sheath, just in case.
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 10:49 pm

Rolzup wrote:
"Because their wholesale slaughter was playing merry hob with newly arrived souls, all confused and angry and uncertain. Really, it's not too much trouble to say a few words, is it? Let them know that they're dead?"

So cutting off their limbs and stuffing the holes with fireworks isn't enough?
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 25, 2009 10:12 am

gridley wrote:
So cutting off their limbs and stuffing the holes with fireworks isn't enough?
"It seemed like a proper funeral to me" says the paladin, with a hint of defensiveness in his voice.
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 12:38 pm

Mallus wrote:

"It seemed like a proper funeral to me" says the paladin, with a hint of defensiveness in his voice.

"The positive side," Vox admits, "Is that L most certainly knew that he was dead. Hell of a send-off, no question."

Turning to Artichoke, he lowers his voice a little. "I'll likely regret asking this question, but how do you intend to deal with these wayward spirits? Based on past performances, I've been assuming unremitting brutality...but then, I've never actually seen you in action, have I?"
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 12:48 pm

Rolzup wrote:
"I'll likely regret asking this question, but how do you intend to deal with these wayward spirits?"
"If these spirits are the spirits of the dead, then brutality shall be the order of the day. I'll sheathe my axe in concupiscent radiance and hack them to tatters. Though, truth be told, finding someone else with that gift would come in handy".
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 5:08 pm

Mallus wrote:

"If these spirits are the spirits of the dead, then brutality shall be the order of the day. I'll sheathe my axe in concupiscent radiance and hack them to tatters. Though, truth be told, finding someone else with that gift would come in handy".

"A spirit trap is used to ensnare bodiless spirits, and most of those are manes. They're all but mindless; just scraps of emotion, obsession, and maybe a random memory or two. Not to say that they can't be dangerous, especially if this deeply fucked-up situation grants them corporeal form, but for the most part they're just...pathetic."

Vox takes another drink, grimacing slightly at the taste. "We should sell this stuff," he suggests, "Label it ourselves, market as Holy Pig Piss, make a killing.

"But there's worse things than manes," he continues. "Mnemovores, Poltergeists, Eyes that See Not, Hupia, Things that Look Like Children, Maru, Thought Leeches, Raven Mockers...not to mention elementals, demons, devils and the like.

"So, you know, good luck and all that. If I see you any of you on the Other Side," he adds with patent insincerity, "I'll do what I can."
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 5:46 pm

Rolzup wrote:
Turning to Artichoke, he lowers his voice a little. "I'll likely regret asking this question, but how do you intend to deal with these wayward spirits? Based on past performances, I've been assuming unremitting brutality...but then, I've never actually seen you in action, have I?"

Artichoke similarly lowers his tone. "Well, you have a bit - when Christabel and I arrived at the battle with Clagoff - but admittedly not much. Personally, I'd like to deal with the spirits as simply and effectively as possible, and if there are non-violent options available, I'd like to hear about them. Do you have any suggestions?"

Quote :
"But there's worse things than manes," he continues. "Mnemovores, Poltergeists, Eyes that See Not, Hupia, Things that Look Like Children, Maru, Thought Leeches, Raven Mockers...not to mention elementals, demons, devils and the like.

"So, you know, good luck and all that. If I see you any of you on the Other Side," he adds with patent insincerity, "I'll do what I can."

"Thanks, but I'd rather not have it come to that," says Artichoke. He glances around the group. Though I'm always marginally surprised when we come through a fight without any casualties.

OOC: John, are you planning to start the adventure via the boards, or at Scott's place?
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 6:40 pm

shilsen wrote:

Artichoke similarly lowers his tone. "Well, you have a bit - when Christabel and I arrived at the battle with Clagoff - but admittedly not much. Personally, I'd like to deal with the spirits as simply and effectively as possible, and if there are non-violent options available, I'd like to hear about them. Do you have any suggestions?"

"For the manes? Probably not, more's the pity. There's not likely to be much of anything there to deal with, if you see what I mean. If there's something else involved?"

Vox shrugs. "Who can say? I mean, if it's a Thing That Looks Like a Child, then you're pretty much doomed. Other entities? Perhaps they can be dealt with. I'd like to think so, at least."

OOC: I was figuring that we'd get things started here, if that's how it all fell into place.
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2009 6:50 pm

Rolzup wrote:
"For the manes? Probably not, more's the pity. There's not likely to be much of anything there to deal with, if you see what I mean. If there's something else involved?"

Vox shrugs. "Who can say? I mean, if it's a Thing That Looks Like a Child, then you're pretty much doomed. Other entities? Perhaps they can be dealt with. I'd like to think so, at least."

Artichoke chuckles dryly. "You're almost as inspirational as Yatagan. Almost."

He rubs his pate and looks over at the paladin, who is getting more rambunctious as the evening passes. "Perhaps," he says a little loudly, "We should head back to the Hall? We have a probably busy day tomorrow."

Quote :
OOC: I was figuring that we'd get things started here, if that's how it all fell into place.

Makes sense to me. From the sounds of things, this would be a multi-session adventure (right?), so we'll presumably be doing some adventuring on the forums between sessions too.

Anyway, I added the last IC bit above so we can move things along to the adventure.
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 10:23 am

I'll launch a new thread in a hour or two; conversation can continue here as well, if desired, along with any preparations people want to make before setting off. You know, getting a pack mule and some sherpas, buying provisions, fireworks, and other necessities...the typical stuff.
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 10:59 am

Yatagan's going to try and figure out how many of the creatures that Vox mentioned, if any, are vulnerable to Radiant damage.

Religion: 13

And then he'll start asking people smarter than him.

Last edited by Mallus on Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 10:59 am

The member 'Mallus' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 6
Back to top Go down
https://theport.forumotion.net
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 11:00 am

And Artichoke, if Yatagan mentions it, will both help and try to show off his knowledge on the subject (21 on Religion).

Last edited by shilsen on Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 11:00 am

The member 'shilsen' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 12
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 11:29 am

Against actual undead -- most certainly including these 'Manes' -- radiant damage will indeed be effective. Elemetals, demons, and devils, no.

As to the other things that Vox mentioned? About 50/50.
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 11:38 am

Odanais will take to the streets to see if he can dig up any interesting gossip about Nicholai Hidimba, his family, or their once proud estate.

Streetwise: 32 (natural 20!)

Last edited by gridley on Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 11:38 am

The member 'gridley' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 20
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2009 1:13 pm

Admin wrote:
The member 'gridley' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 20

Well. Wasn't expecting that. Okay, then....

Bizarrely, Odanais' total ignorance of this new Port works to his advantage; he comes off as not merely stupid, but as charmingly naive. People like correcting him, it makes them feel that much smarter to show him exactly where he's gone wrong.

The Hidimba family, back before the world ended, was Important. And Powerful. They were known for their exacting and skillfully worded contracts, and had any number of devils, demons, and minor powers in their service. And then things fell apart, the center ceased to hold, and most of the family up and vanished in the ensuing chaos, leaving nothing behind other than scorch marks and a faint smell of brimstone.

The estate became a part of the Port, although much of the surrounding grounds were lost (bits and pieces can, however, be found in various areas of the city), and most of the surviving family members abandoned the place in favor of more civilized neighborhoods.

Nikolai, it is said, was one of those original survivors. Little of substance is known about him -- he's got a reputation of being a wizard of some power, but so far as anyone knows he's not done anything to earn that.

He married a woman named Antoinette Elksblood a good fifty years ago; she died some months back. This manages to spark a memory in Vox -- he remembers Hidimba making inquiries of the Bureaucracy of where his wife's spirit was bound. Not only were they unable to answer, they were forced to admit that they had no records on her at all -- something of a scandal, and heads were still rolling when Vox took his leave.

The Hidimba estate these days is in fairly good condition, considering its age and the way it's been treated. The Olde Goetics built well, or rather their demonic servants did. At the moment, a pack of gnolls called the Crazy Bitches is occupying the West wing of the mansion, and using it as a headquarters for their predations. The greenhouse is supposedly home to some rather aggressive plant-life, nasty enough that the Bitches are unwilling to deal with it, and the East wing is supposedly haunted by a ghost of some sort. Or so the rumor goes.
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2009 11:29 pm

Rolzup wrote:
Well. Wasn't expecting that. Okay, then....

Yeah, seriously...

Rolzup wrote:
Nikolai, it is said, was one of those original survivors.

How old would that make him? Do people know when the world ended?
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 10:08 am

gridley wrote:

How old would that make him? Do people know when the world ended?

It's hotly debated by those who care about such things, but it's safe to say that it makes Hidimba pretty goddamn old.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Worse than the Disease
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Port :: The Game Itself :: Tales-
Jump to: