The Port
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Port

This is what happens after a world ends.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Worse than the Disease

Go down 
+3
Mallus
shilsen
Rolzup
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
shilsen

shilsen

Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 3:04 pm

Rolzup wrote:
Hidimba's servants move smoothly forward, each producing a falchion from nowhere at all. At his hissed command, they both freeze in place. "Captain? What is the meaning of this?"

Artichoke freezes too for an instant and then says, calmly but firmly, "A minor inconvenience, Mr. Hidimba, one which won't affect our business in any way. I suggest you leave now and meet us here again tomorrow at 10 am, when we can begin our ... exploration."

Once Hidimba and his people are gone, Artichoke pulls his chair around to face Odanais. "All right, Odanais. What just happened?" His tone continues to be a little calmer than would have been the case in the days before he departed the group for his visit to Raze's battle academy.
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 3:05 pm

Mallus wrote:
Yatagan is visibly startled, first by the sudden malleability of local space, then by Lizzie unlimbering his limb-removing axe, and finally by the sight of a different Mr. Dare.

"Tell us this is just an especially dramatic way to introduce your new look, Odanais" says the Dragonborn, with a mix of familiarity and wary confusion. Reflexively, he raises his shield, but refrains from ejaculating onto the weapon.

The man calling himself Odanais Dare squints at the Dragonborn for a moment, the lightning in his eyes fizzling away. "Yatagan? Is that you? What the hell? I heard you died in the arenas! It was in the papers and everything. They said you were torn limb from limb by a gang of deadly mechanical babies! How the hell did you survive?"
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 3:17 pm

gridley wrote:
"Yatagan? Is that you?
"Of course it's me. There can be only one" replies Yatagan, with less wariness but more confusion.

Quote :
They said you were torn limb from limb by a gang of deadly mechanical babies! How the hell did you survive?"
"I've never fought in the Circus, Odanais. The closest I --we-- came was the raid on Captain Clagoff's illegal tournament. And we escaped that unscathed, well, except for the indigestion I got from his eyes."

Yatagan thinks for a moment, thinks the better of it, and utters a soft prayer in Draconic: RAWR RAWR RAWR.

"What's the last thing you recall, Mr. Dare, before arriving in the Temple of Treasure?"
Back to top Go down
overeddie

overeddie

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 3:19 pm

"If you're Dare, then I'm Penelope."
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 3:26 pm

overeddie wrote:
"Please don't make this any more confusing than it already is" implores Yatagan.
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 3:37 pm

shilsen wrote:
"All right, Odanais. What just happened?" His tone continues to be a little calmer than would have been the case in the days before he departed the group for his visit to Raze's battle academy.

Odanais levels a steely gaze at Artichoke. "Say... aren't you that nutjob militia leader with the vegetable name? Where's your eyepatch?"

overeddie wrote:

"Then it's a pleasure to meet you, Penelope."

Mallus wrote:
"I've never fought in the Circus, Odanais. The closest I --we-- came was the raid on Captain Clagoff's illegal tournament. And we escaped that unscathed, well, except for the indigestion I got from his eyes."

"Never fought in the Circus? Who are you trying to fool, Yats? I made nearly a thousand gold betting on your match against the Jumps-Off-Mountain Brothers!" Odanais finds a bottle of rum behind the bar and swallows a mouthful of it. "And who's Clagoff?"

Mallus wrote:
"What's the last thing you recall, Mr. Dare, before arriving in the Temple of Treasure?"

"This place is a temple?" says Odanais. "Of course, all the pig shit should have tipped me off...."
Back to top Go down
overeddie

overeddie

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 3:55 pm

gridley wrote:
"Don't fuck with me buddy."
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 4:04 pm

gridley wrote:
... aren't you that nutjob militia leader with the vegetable name?
Quote :
Quote :
Odanais finds a bottle of rum behind the bar and swallows a mouthful of it.
Familiar...

Quote :
Where's your eyepatch?"
Quote :
I made nearly a thousand gold betting on your match against the Jumps-Off-Mountain Brothers! And who's Clagoff?"
Quote :
"This place is a temple?"

... yet unfamiliar.

"Damnation!" exclaims Yatagan. "How can I ask Mr. Dare to explain this inexplicable happening when it so happens to have happened to him! That way lies ontological problems that drive the Dragon-kin into murderous rages".

The Dragonborn takes a deep breath.

"The Dragon Catechism teaches us to believe in only what we can see... well and use, trick, or eat, but let's focus on the first, shall we? You look like Odanais Dare. So you are. You know us, in a way. But differently from the true record of facts. Therefore, you are the Odanais Dare from a false world. Perhaps even a fictional one."

Yatagan smiles, "Say, this arcane reasoning isn't so hard after all."

Last edited by Mallus on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 4:13 pm

"He might be possessed," Vox suggests. "I can try an exorcism, if you can find me a red-hot poker, a crystal bell, seven pound of flax, an old priest, a young priest, a middle-aged priest, and a dead priest.

"Or I can just make do with the red-hot poker. Actually, that would probably be quicker. Albeit messier."

Last edited by Rolzup on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 4:14 pm

After a moment Yatagan adds, "My Gods, the practical applications of this phenomena are staggering! Imagine a play bereft of actors, where the characters themselves are conjured bodily from some fictional realm as needed. It would God-like in its magnificence..."

"So, Mr. Dare-from-the-faux-world, can you tell us how you came here?"
Back to top Go down
overeddie

overeddie

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 4:22 pm

'Tell us quick Mr. Dare."
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 4:33 pm

Rolzup wrote:
"Or I can just make due with the red-hot poker. Actually, that would probably be quicker."

"Oh, I've got your red hot right here, pal." With a flick of his wrist, Odanais summons a sphere of liquid fire that he tosses playfully several times in the air, before allowing the flames to evaporate.

Mallus wrote:
The Dragonborn takes a deep breath.

"The Dragon Catechism teaches us to believe in only what we can see... well and use, trick, or eat, but let's focus on the first, shall we? You look like Odanais Dare. So you are. You know us, in a way. But differently from the true record of facts. Therefore, you are the Odanais Dare from a false world. Perhaps even a fictional one."

Yatagan smiles, "Say, this arcane reasoning isn't so hard after all."

"A false world, eh?" Odanais puts away his dagger and slumps into the nearest chair. "I do feel rather like I've just been shaken rudely awake from a bad dream." He smiles a crooked sort of smile. "Perhaps that is exactly what happened..."

He drains some more rum from the bottle. "So, remind me who I am again? In the real world, I mean?"
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 4:41 pm

gridley wrote:
"Perhaps that is exactly what happened..."

He drains some more rum from the bottle. "So, remind me who I am again? In the real world, I mean?"
Feeling no small amount of self-love after untangling a knotty logical tangle, Yatagan prattles on happily "You are Odanais Dare, a magician, bother and lover to Elizee, who has been kidnapped by air-pirates! She is the light of your life and seek the power to effect her return. When you're not drinking, whoring with ghosts, and starting new religions. You are a great genius, transgressor, and friend."

"Oh and recently you starred in a hit play."
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 4:50 pm

Mallus wrote:
Feeling no small amount of self-love after untangling a knotty logical tangle, Yatagan prattles on happily "You are Odanais Dare, a magician, bother and lover to Elizee, who has been kidnapped by air-pirates! She is the light of your life and seek the power to effect her return. When you're not drinking, whoring with ghosts, and starting new religions. You are a great genius, transgressor, and friend."

"Oh and recently you starred in a hit play."

Odanais' eyes go wide and all color drains from his face. "Tell me truly, friend. You say that my sister Elizee is alive?"
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 5:03 pm

gridley wrote:
Odanais' eyes go wide and all color drains from his face. "Tell me truly, friend. You say that my sister Elizee is alive?"
Shocked by earnestness coming from Odanais, Yatagan manages to reply "As far as we, well, you... the other you... knew, yes, she is alive. And as soon as we get word of her location, all of us are coming with you to rescue her."
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 5:08 pm

gridley wrote:
Odanais levels a steely gaze at Artichoke. "Say... aren't you that nutjob militia leader with the vegetable name? Where's your eyepatch?"

Artichoke's face and bald pate visibly reddens, but he says nothing until...

Quote :
Shocked by earnestness coming from Odanais, Yatagan manages to reply "As far as we, well, you... the other you... knew, yes, she is alive. And as soon as we get word of her location, all of us are coming with you to rescue her."

As Yatagan speaks, he quickly adds, "What Yatagan said. But before we share any more information, why don't you explain what you know, Odanais? What is the last thing you remember? And who are you in this other ... world?"

He glances around the group. "No prompting, please." The pleasant tone turns serious. "And no conjuring balls of fire either." That's not something Odanais knew. This one, whatever he is, could be ... useful.
Back to top Go down
overeddie

overeddie

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 5:08 pm

Lizzy puts down his axe, but keeps an eye on the new Odanais. All these magical shenanigans and talk of exploring the insides of people's heads has him unnerved.
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 5:10 pm

Mallus wrote:

Odanais grasps his head in his hands. "In the false... in my world... Elizee died in my arms nearly six years ago.... Nothing... nothing has quite made sense since."

Odanais closes his eyes as though about to cry, his breathing ragged, then suddenly opens his mouth and laughs aloud. "What bright mad heaven is this new world where no one ever dies! Money well spent! I think I'll stay."
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 5:48 pm

gridley wrote:
Odanais closes his eyes as though about to cry, his breathing ragged, then suddenly opens his mouth and laughs aloud. "What bright mad heaven is this new world where no one ever dies! Money well spent! I think I'll stay."

"Believe me, Odanais," says Artichoke, watching the man's display with a critical eye, "People die here. A lot. And you're welcome to stay. But tell me first - what happened to our Odanais? The ... version of you who was part of our world. And you still haven't told us much of your world. What do you do in it? I presume you're some sort of arcanist."
Back to top Go down
Christabel

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 6:57 pm

What the fuck? Christabel, who is understandably confused by the business with Odanais, takes a few moments to collect her thoughts. After finishing a drink, the deva moves up behind Artichoke, poking him in the shoulder. She is generally unmindful of his - or anyone else's - personal space. "Is this normal for humans? People turning into... other versions of themselves? I was under the impression it wasn't, but I've been out of the loop for awhile." Christabel briefly glances at the new Odanais for a moment, then returns an expectant gaze to Artichoke.
Back to top Go down
gridley

gridley

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 11:26 pm

shilsen wrote:
"Believe me, Odanais," says Artichoke, watching the man's display with a critical eye, "People die here. A lot. And you're welcome to stay. But tell me first - what happened to our Odanais? The ... version of you who was part of our world.

"I assume that he took up where I left off," says Odanais, "and if so, I'm certain that he's quite all right. For one thing, he would have appeared right next to the mysterious Eladrin woman who topsy-turvied us, so he likely has far more answers than I do. For another, while I'm standing in pig shit, he's in my rather posh apartment along with most of my not inconsiderable wealth, which sadly failed to make the journey with me."

Odanais stands up and makes a show of brushing his fingers against the side of his beard. "And lastly, I'm wondering if I might be here for some greater purpose. Perhaps that other me suspected he wasn't quite up to the mission of rescuing our sister Elizee and he somehow opened himself up to cosmic intervention. Stranger things have happened."

shilsen wrote:
And you still haven't told us much of your world. What do you do in it? I presume you're some sort of arcanist."

Odanais flips open the front door and, standing in the doorway, stares out at the street. "I'm at a bit of a loss as to how I should describe my world to you at the moment. It seems, at first glance, to be very like your own, but perhaps substantial differences will become apparent as I adjust to the new surroundings."

The smell of a nearby garbage fire drifts through the open door. Odanais wrinkles his nose and closes the door, leaning back against it. "As for me, I'm a musician by trade, a sorcerer by talent, and an adventurer when the money's right. I've even pulled some jobs with Yatagan here before he was enslaved in the arenas. And if I can count on your help in freeing my sister, then you may count on mine as well. This I pledge."

Penelope wrote:
"Is this normal for humans? People turning into... other versions of themselves? I was under the impression it wasn't, but I've been out of the loop for awhile." Christabel briefly glances at the new Odanais for a moment, then returns an expectant gaze to Artichoke.

Odanais smiles and nods at Christabel, his eyes playfully lingering upon her. "It is quite unusual for me as well, although your celestial beauty provides a most sweet landing for a lost soul such as myself."

Last edited by gridley on Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:17 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 22, 2009 11:43 pm

Penelope wrote:
What the fuck? Christabel, who is understandably confused by the business with Odanais, takes a few moments to collect her thoughts. After finishing a drink, the deva moves up behind Artichoke, poking him in the shoulder. She is generally unmindful of his - or anyone else's - personal space. "Is this normal for humans? People turning into... other versions of themselves? I was under the impression it wasn't, but I've been out of the loop for awhile." Christabel briefly glances at the new Odanais for a moment, then returns an expectant gaze to Artichoke.

Artichoke emits a short, dry laugh. Multiple lives or not, this is going to be new for her. I just hope it doesn't throw her off. Her powers and that weird armadillo thing are handy. "No, it's not normal for humans, but a lot of the things you'll see here aren't normal for humans." He looks around and says, "But that's what makes this bunch so special." And sometimes a real headache!

When the new Odanais explains himself, Artichoke nods. "I see. As you say, stranger things have happened. And, since you seem to have replaced our arcanist, we could use your help just as you could use ours. This is a collection of adventurers too," he says, before adding hastily as he sees Yatagan about to correct him, "And a few other things. But we have work to do and preparations to make for tomorrow," he adds to the group as a whole. "We need to decide who's going along on this little trip and who'll be staying behind to keep an eye on Hidimba. And, since some of you are still a little new to me, I need to do a little checking on your various capabilities. Perhaps a little martial exercise is in order."
Back to top Go down
overeddie

overeddie

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 9:37 am

LIzzy eyes Artichoke suspiciously for a bit. Uncomfortable with the authoritarian tone he's taking, Lizzy says, "Not sure I need to prove myself to anyone. But if you need to know what my axe can do I will gladly demonstrate on you."
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 10:00 am

overeddie wrote:
LIzzy eyes Artichoke suspiciously for a bit. Uncomfortable with the authoritarian tone he's taking, Lizzy says, "Not sure I need to prove myself to anyone. But if you need to know what my axe can do I will gladly demonstrate on you."

Having already picked up a little information about Lizzy, Artichoke smoothly clarifies, "I didn't mean that you have to prove yourself, and I've already seen what your axe can do at the battle with Clagoff. I simply meant that a little more information about each other's capabilities would help us function better as a group. While we are clearly all talented individuals, our strength is manifold as a cohesive group." Hmm - that's good. I need to remember to put that line down somewhere.

Artichoke glances at the new Odanais. "Of course, your skills we know nothing of, and vice versa. So a little checking out wouldn't be amiss, I think."
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 23, 2009 10:09 am

shilsen wrote:
And, since some of you are still a little new to me, I need to do a little checking on your various capabilities. Perhaps a little martial exercise is in order."
"We are graced with the presence of an immortal and a visitor from the realms of fancy and you want to conduct martial exercises? While we missed your tactical acumen and restorative advice Mr. Artichoke, we surely didn't miss your insistence on doing uninteresting things."

Yatagan takes a deep breath, so as to speak his next words even louder.

"Tonight is a night for living! For wine, song and fireworks! Let us show our new friends the Port. With our luck someone will stick us with the butcher's bill before the last round is bought."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worse than the Disease   Worse than the Disease - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Worse than the Disease
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Port :: The Game Itself :: Tales-
Jump to: