The Port
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Port

This is what happens after a world ends.

HomeGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Ethical Circus hijinks

Go down 
+4
Mallus
overeddie
Rolzup
shilsen
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
shilsen

shilsen

Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 6:14 pm

gridley wrote:
Haha... he might even insist on adventuring as his sister.

And that would surprise the hell out of the sky-pirates who kidnapped him!

But moving on...

With the decision made that the League-members will be participating in the raid and most of the general decisions taken care of, Lord Dandy bids them goodbye, saying that he will have much to plan for. He asks the group to come to his offices again at three pm the next day, since the raid will occur a few hours later and some more planning and coverage of duties will need to occur.

The adventurers now find themselves free for the next 24 hrs or so.

OOC: If there's something else you want to work out with Lord Dandy, feel free to back-post.
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 10:23 am

"There's some people that I need to speak to, and some materials I need to acquire," Vox says, adjusting his hat once more. "Assuming nobody gets murdered in the meantime, I'll meet up with you in a few hours.

"And if anyone does get murdered, maybe I'll see them earlier."

He sets off for the Other Side, to speak to John Sideways about the art of dynamic taxidermy and to pick up a few items from the small and shabby tenament he occupies in the land of the dead.

In the process, he'll ask a few questions regarding Amadeus Perigee of those who might know a few things....

(Streetwise: 19)

Last edited by Rolzup on Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 10:23 am

The member 'Rolzup' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 8
Back to top Go down
https://theport.forumotion.net
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 10:33 am

shilsen wrote:
As usual, switch out your current equipment accordingly, i.e. pick one 5th, one 6th and one 7th lvl item, as well as 1000 gp in cash.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Yatagan's +2 Versatile plate armor is an 8th level item. What should I do about that? And how are you feeling about +2 Bloodclaw weapons (technically L7)?

I'm debating making Yatagan hit harder... a lot harder.
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 10:39 am

shilsen wrote:
The adventurers now find themselves free for the next 24 hrs or so.
Yatagan will invite the rest of the League along to scout out other possible locations for the Temple of Treasure in the Scatter, seeing as the Cult of That-Which-Is-Not turned out to be an amiable, if sad and Goth-y lot, not deserving of his viscid justice.

Then in the afternoon he'll visit the giant spiders in the Hush in need of the public relations firm Treasure, Fracas, and Dare (and Associates).
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 11:02 am

Mallus wrote:
Yatagan's +2 Versatile plate armor is an 8th level item. What should I do about that?

Trade it out for something at 5th, 6th or 7th lvl for the moment.

Quote :
And how are you feeling about +2 Bloodclaw weapons (technically L7)?

I'm a little iffy about them, but I'll say it's fine for now. I'm guessing Lizzy might be picking one up too, considering the benefits from a two-hander with that property.

Quote :
I'm debating making Yatagan hit harder... a lot harder.

Not a bad idea. 4e has much less of an issue with it than 3e, but offense does seem to top defense as the best approach in combat.
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 11:04 am

Mallus wrote:
Then in the afternoon he'll visit the giant spiders in the Hush in need of the public relations firm Treasure, Fracas, and Dare (and Associates).

It's already well into late afternoon, since visiting the temple, then Dandy halfway across town, and returning takes time.

I'll have an IC post up later today. And nice PR firm title Smile
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 11:13 am

shilsen wrote:
Will do.

Quote :
I'm a little iffy about them, but I'll say it's fine for now. I'm guessing Lizzy might be picking one up too, considering the benefits from a two-hander with that property.
For some reason, a +2 Bloodclaw weapon is L7, but a +2 Battlecrazed is L8... not sure I agree w/that.

Quote :
Not a bad idea. 4e has much less of an issue with it than 3e, but offense does seem to top defense as the best approach in combat.
I've noticed...
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 11:15 am

shilsen wrote:
It's already well into late afternoon, since visiting the temple, then Dandy halfway across town, and returning takes time.
You know there are streetcars pulled by the non-unionized dead in this setting.

Quote :
And nice PR firm title Smile
Thanks.

Last edited by Mallus on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 11:30 am

shilsen wrote:
Mallus wrote:
Yatagan's +2 Versatile plate armor is an 8th level item. What should I do about that?

Ah. I'll do the same with Vox's Rapier, as that's a level 8 weapon as well. Actually, I need to totally re-examine his magic items, as I'm fairly certain I screwed a few things up.
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 10:47 pm

Mallus wrote:
For some reason, a +2 Bloodclaw weapon is L7, but a +2 Battlecrazed is L8... not sure I agree w/that.

I just checked it out in the Compendium (don't own AV) and +2 Battlecrazed is actually level 9. That's definitely off, IMNSHO.

But on with the game...

The adventurers, who have evidently decided that rest of any kind is for the weak and the financially secure, eventually find themselves in a very large chamber in the Hush. From the looks of things, this room once contained partitions, probably wooden walls of some kind, but these have been demolished to convert it into one huge room. The areas where windows once were have also been enlarged to create a greater view of the city beyond, which also reveals the underside of the large airship (seemingly made of silk) which bobs gently in the breeze above the building. Large streamers of similar silk cover the walls and ceiling, spun together in places to form solid objects whose precise nature is not always clear, though some must be for storage or resting places.

A huge spider, its legs spanning over a dozen feet, hangs from the webs in front of and slightly above the assembled group. While it is difficult to judge the body language of a giant arachnid, it seems to be attentive, with all eight eyes focused on the adventurers and its front legs interlaced and placed discreetly in front of its large fangs.

Once Yatagan has finished speaking for the group, Ch'trik'krik - ambassador from the Weavers - bobs her head slightly and then replies. Her voice is low and breathy, the words interspersed with clicks, but she is still clearly speaking the Common tongue. "You offer help us? How?" The tone is curious, and quite polite.

Meanwhile, Vox...

Rolzup wrote:
He sets off for the Other Side, to speak to John Sideways about the art of dynamic taxidermy and to pick up a few items from the small and shabby tenament he occupies in the land of the dead.

In the process, he'll ask a few questions regarding Amadeus Perigee of those who might know a few things....

(Streetwise: 19)

Even though the distance - metaphorical and otherwise - is greater than the others have to cover, Vox is in the Hereafter fairly quickly now that he does not have to travel with them.

After picking up some things from his small apartment he does a little checking around about Amadeus Perigee. It's hard to know how much of the information he gains is true, but the scuttlebutt on the Other Side is accurate, but the story goes that every time Amadeus Perigee has appeared there after his death by execution, he is surrounded by a strange golden glow. And whenever the nearest of the Jacks reaches and attempts to mark him, the dwarf's ghost fades away into the glow. The theory is that he is protected by some god, evidently not a well-known one, which is what keeps him alive - and pulls him back to the land of the living when he leaves it.

Finally, Vox makes his way to the park where John Sideways resides. The ghost druid is unusually morose, even by his standards, when Vox finds him and he quickly explains why. "You," he says, in a tone that would be accusative if only it had a little more energy, "Bring me trouble, Vox. Two times after you came last I have been questioned about you. By the Bureaucracy."

Sideways' voice quavers and he pours himself some more of the strange brew he makes. "Twice! I don't like that, Vox. It makes me nervous." He looks mournfully at the shadar-kai. "I couldn't even go to your play. And I thought I would." Knowing John Sideways, Vox knows that's very unlikely, but the ghost does sound upset.
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 11:49 am

shilsen wrote:
I just checked it out in the Compendium (don't own AV) and +2 Battlecrazed is actually level 9. That's definitely off, IMNSHO.
9? Huh...

Another suggested house rule. Allow paladins to use their weapons as implements (like Swordmages). There's no balance-related reason I see for forcing classes that split between weapon/implement powers to pay extra to improves their attack powers. Frankly, it looks like an mistake the designer's tacitly acknowledged through the swordmage.
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 28, 2009 2:57 pm

Mallus wrote:
Another suggested house rule. Allow paladins to use their weapons as implements (like Swordmages). There's no balance-related reason I see for forcing classes that split between weapon/implement powers to pay extra to improves their attack powers. Frankly, it looks like an mistake the designer's tacitly acknowledged through the swordmage.

That's fine by me. Besides the price thing, the fact that you'd be giving up some of the nifty powers which the holy symbols can provide is enough of a trade-off. Of course, you won't get the proficiency bonus from the weapon on the implement-based attack.
Back to top Go down
overeddie

overeddie

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 10:29 pm

Are the weavers unionized?
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 10:55 pm

overeddie wrote:
Are the weavers unionized?

Considering that it's apparently a nation of giant intelligent talking spiders on an island in the Aster Sea, probably not.

Or was that an IC question?
Back to top Go down
overeddie

overeddie

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 11:34 pm

OC!
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 12:08 pm

"Now, now," Vox says soothingly. "I don't want to cause any problems; I was just hoping that you could tutor me in one of your...arts. Not the brewing, but the animation of dead animals, perhaps?

"But be that as it may," he adds hurredly, "What was the Bureaucracy asking about, John? I'm on detached duty at the moment, all too typical that the right hand doesn't know who the left hand is stabbing, eh? But if there's any trouble, I'd rather head it off at the pass."
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 12:36 pm

shilsen wrote:
"You offer help us? How?"
"To be clear, ma'am, we offer our services for an equitable fee. While's true we're also a religion, we aren't a charity. We understand that your people have a... problem with how the Port's citizens perceive you. Sadly, this is not uncommon. Even races ostensibly native to the Port struggle against bigotry. Why we recently assisted the Driftglass Society in their endeavors to improve the goblin's lot.

If what you require is a plan to improve the relations between your kind and the rest of the Port, we can furnish that. Forgive me if I don't go into specifics at this point. If you are the target of unjust slander, we can end it. Permanently.

Perhaps you could give us more details regarding your troubles?"
Back to top Go down
overeddie

overeddie

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 3:02 pm

Especially the ones you want permanently solved.
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 5:37 pm

Rolzup wrote:
"Now, now," Vox says soothingly. "I don't want to cause any problems; I was just hoping that you could tutor me in one of your...arts. Not the brewing, but the animation of dead animals, perhaps?

"But be that as it may," he adds hurredly, "What was the Bureaucracy asking about, John? I'm on detached duty at the moment, all too typical that the right hand doesn't know who the left hand is stabbing, eh? But if there's any trouble, I'd rather head it off at the pass."

"Really?" John Sideways' habitually mournful expression brightens fleetingly, but then turns mournful again as he nods slowly. "Yes, I suppose I could show you. It's not like I have anything better to do here."

He sighs and then continues, "Oh, the Bureaucracy people didn't tell me any real details. Not that anyone does. Just mentioned something about unlawful transport of spirits across the Veil. And something about anarchists. Or maybe anarchy. What have you been up to, Vox?"

Mallus wrote:
"To be clear, ma'am, we offer our services for an equitable fee. While's true we're also a religion, we aren't a charity. We understand that your people have a... problem with how the Port's citizens perceive you. Sadly, this is not uncommon. Even races ostensibly native to the Port struggle against bigotry. Why we recently assisted the Driftglass Society in their endeavors to improve the goblin's lot.

If what you require is a plan to improve the relations between your kind and the rest of the Port, we can furnish that. Forgive me if I don't go into specifics at this point. If you are the target of unjust slander, we can end it. Permanently.

Perhaps you could give us more details regarding your troubles?"

overeddie wrote:
Especially the ones you want permanently solved.

It's difficult to make out if the giant spider is watching Yatagan or Lizzy or everyone, due to the number of her eyes (and the fact that they don't blink), but Ch'trik'krik bobs her head a little in what is presumably a nod. "Yes," she says, "We have trouble. We want ask your hive-mother for buy land. Build nest."

She pauses, and then adds, a trifle hesitantly, "Governor. Not hive-mother. And you say embassy. For nest. We want embassy for make trade with your people. We weavers. Weave many things." One clawed leg gestures at the chamber. "Useful things. Strong things. Give you things. You give Weavers things in return. We ... hope."

"But," Ch'trik'krik says in a tone which is probably the arachnid equivalent of disappointed, "Your people complicated. Ask many questions. Want Weavers to put words on small webs." She gestures vaguely and then says, "Papers. Many papers. Complicated. Hiv... governor not see Weavers. Weavers wait. Find nest here. Wait long. When Weavers go out, people make noises and throw things. Complicated. Weavers do not want trouble. But ... complicated."

She stops and then says, sounding hopeful, "You can help? For things?"
Back to top Go down
Christabel

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 5:50 pm

After spending most of her time being distracted by the magnificent, majestic spiders, Penelope decides to comment on Ch'trik'krik's words to others. And, not too concerned about privacy (well, the verbal sort), she makes no effort to lower her voice. "I like them. Let's help." Remembering her company is, among many other things, interested in money, she adds, "For a price, of course..."
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 6:29 pm

shilsen wrote:

"Really?" John Sideways' habitually mournful expression brightens fleetingly, but then turns mournful again as he nods slowly. "Yes, I suppose I could show you. It's not like I have anything better to do here."

He sighs and then continues, "Oh, the Bureaucracy people didn't tell me any real details. Not that anyone does. Just mentioned something about unlawful transport of spirits across the Veil. And something about anarchists. Or maybe anarchy. What have you been up to, Vox?"

Vox closes his eyes, as if momentarily troubled by an acute headache, and then opens them again and smailes brightly as Sidewise. "As I suspected, a misunderstanding," he says airily, "One that I'll correct as soon as I have a free moment. Nothing that you need to worry about, my good fellow."

He cracks his knuckles, glances about the area, and shrugs an elaborately casual shrug. "So! Tell me, how exactly do you manage to bind an animating spirit into an animal's corpus? I wouldn't have throught that there would be enough vril to sustain it, considering the lack of self-awareness...."
Back to top Go down
Mallus

Mallus

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 11:50 am

shilsen wrote:
"Complicated. Hiv... governor not see Weavers. Weavers wait. Find nest here. Wait long. When Weavers go out, people make noises and throw things. Complicated. Weavers do not want trouble. But ... complicated."

She stops and then says, sounding hopeful, "You can help? For things?"
"We can help you with all your troubles" says Yatagan confidently. "We have a bona fide genius who can review your papers. We count a Magistrate as a personal friend, and it's only a matter of time before he comes to the Hush. Through him your petition might reach the Governor. And we have plenty of first-hand experience with angry mobs!"

Yatagan stops for moment, remembering to breathe.

"Already a plan takes shape in my waking brain. In order to improve you relations with the public, you could sponsor a festival... perhaps in conjunction with a popular new religion. Next, we could tell your story on the stage! We've had terrific luck with theater recently. Though we'll need to call you something else. 'Ch'trik'krik' is quite a mouthful for mankind.

How about 'Charlotte'? And of course, we'll have to put the pig in it... but I'm getting ahead of myself".

There is another pause.

"Forgive me, but I must ask... you see, the people here are... afraid of you. They've come to believe you'll... eat them. Surely they're mistaken".
Back to top Go down
shilsen

shilsen

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 1:56 pm

Rolzup wrote:
Vox closes his eyes, as if momentarily troubled by an acute headache, and then opens them again and smailes brightly as Sidewise. "As I suspected, a misunderstanding," he says airily, "One that I'll correct as soon as I have a free moment. Nothing that you need to worry about, my good fellow."

He cracks his knuckles, glances about the area, and shrugs an elaborately casual shrug. "So! Tell me, how exactly do you manage to bind an animating spirit into an animal's corpus? I wouldn't have throught that there would be enough vril to sustain it, considering the lack of self-awareness...."

Sideways nods at Vox's comments about the Bureaucracy, though his expression doesn't get any the less mournful. But when Vox asks his question about animating a creature, he cheers up marginally and begins to speak. "You are quite right," he says, gesturing a little, "But the trick is not to attempt to draw upon the original inhabitant's soul, or however you want to call it. If you do, the result will be more," he pauses as if looking for a term, "Sentient. But since the essential link has been severed, it will eventually fade away." He glances at a ghostly badger that has appeared from behind a tree and adds, a little sadly, "Like Rufus here. But if you simply animate the corpse with ambient ectoplasm, it lasts indefinitely. They tend to not be very good for conversation, however."

"But, here - let me show you." Sideways reaches into the small leather satchel at his side and begins to produce some implements.

OOC: We'll presume this is where Vox picks up on the rituals you wanted.

Mallus wrote:
How about 'Charlotte'? And of course, we'll have to put the pig in it... but I'm getting ahead of myself".

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Quote :
"Forgive me, but I must ask... you see, the people here are... afraid of you. They've come to believe you'll... eat them. Surely they're mistaken".

The giant spider listens attentively but - though arachnid body-language is hard to judge - with an impression of slight confusion, though it's impossible to say whether she has problems with Yatagan's rapid speech or the contents of his dialogue (or both). But when he comes to his final question, she bobs up and down in the web, rapidly moving her arms. "No! We ... Weavers not eat humans. Never. It is lie." She makes a faint gurgling sound and her face flexes slightly. The more insightful people in the group realize they might have just seen a giant, talking spider throwing up a little in its mouth.

Ch'trik'krik's agitation quickly fades and she continues, "Your friend magistrate help us? You speak friend magistrate for Weavers? If friend help, Weavers pay good price."
Back to top Go down
Rolzup

Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 3:13 pm

Having learned what he needed to, Vox sets out to return to the world of the living...albeit while casting many glances over his shoulder, and following a rather more circuitous route than usual.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ethical Circus hijinks   Ethical Circus hijinks - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ethical Circus hijinks
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Port :: The Game Itself :: Tales-
Jump to: