The Port

This is what happens after a world ends.
 
HomeGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Into the Pit

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:01 pm

While the adventurers are discussing their options the sounds are getting louder and closer, though the source is still hidden within the darkness. It occurs to someone* to crack a sunrod to add to the light cantrip, which has already needed to be re-cast multiple times anyway. There is a bright flare of light, which steadies and clearly illuminates a radius of 25 feet from the source, with another 25 ft of shadowy illumination (which Vox can see clearly through) beyond, exactly half as much as it would provide under normal circumstances.

The adventurers can now see that there are boulders and small pillars of rock scattered around the area, which can be used to provide some cover if needed. The better light also reveals some small ledges on the sloping wall, which could also be used if they decide (and manage) to reach them for a position which is hard to flank. And, of course, there is the edge, or the cave openings. Besides the one they emerged from there is another one of the same size before and behind. A third opening, larger than the others, is at the very edge of their vision, 50 feet away, where the wall curves around to meet the cliff. That, as far as Vox can tell, is where the leak to the Other Side lies.

Emerging from that opening, as well as from the various cave openings, are the sources of the sound. One look at the creatures, moving slowly but intently forward, identifies them to even those untrained in religion and the undead. They are zombies, of various sizes and races, though the majority are seemingly dragonborn or tieflings. They also vary significantly in physical state, some of them consisting of more bone than flesh, while others are almost completely whole. Some bear weapons and have old, rotting armor on their bodies, while others are mostly or even wholly naked. Many show signs of having been in conflict of some kind, some lacking a limb or bearing wounds which would kill a living person. All of them, however, are mobile and heading right for the small group of adventurers.


OOC: There are already a dozen zombies in sight and you can see more behind them. The closest zombie is 8 squares away. You guys have one free round of actions and then we go to initiative, so post away. Also, since we're doing without a battlemat, we'll do this more freewheeling than usual. Let me know if you have any questions about options, the situation, positioning or anything else.

* DM fiat, to speed things up a bit and give you a better idea of the situation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:41 pm

gridley wrote:
"A fine idea, but only if you can convince our unseen foes to wait ten minutes before attacking us."
"The undead are notoriously unmoved by rhetoric."

Quote :
"Smashing... let's just be certain that you don't go over the edge with them!"
"I was rather hoping you could do something about that, Mr. Dare".

OCC: shil, is there any cover near the cliff's edge?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:17 pm

Mallus wrote:
OCC: shil, is there any cover near the cliff's edge?

Yup. A couple of the boulders or pillars of rock are near the edge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:18 am

"Well, so much for the idea of using you as a stalking horse, Yatigan. To the wall! Let's not allow them to surround us!"

Breaking into a run, Vox heads for the ledges on the sloping wall.

OOC: Initiative: 19 for next turn. Is a climb check needed here? If so, he'll try a Shadow-Walk instead, if that's viable. No sense wasting time.


Last edited by Rolzup on Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:18 am

The member 'Rolzup' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 13
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:39 am

Rolzup wrote:
To the wall! Let's not allow them to surround us!"
Sound, if a tad undramatic thinks Yatagan as he pauses to order his armor into its less encumbering form (AC: 22, Speed 6, armor penalty -2). Once the transformation is complete, Yatagan runs for the wall as well, intending to leap onto one of the ledges, if feasible.

Athletics: 9+12 = 21

Initiative: 2+2 = 4 (Zombies are faster that Yatagan... terrific).


Last edited by Mallus on Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:39 am

The member 'Mallus' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'd20' : 12

--------------------------------

#2 'd20' : 2
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:40 am

Rolzup wrote:
OOC: Initiative: 19 for next turn. Is a climb check needed here? If so, he'll try a Shadow-Walk instead, if that's viable. No sense wasting time.

The slope's not too bad before the ledges, actually, so you can make it in one just move action if you make a DC 15 Acrobatics or Athletics check. Otherwise, it takes two move actions.

In short, make a DC 15 check and you can make it to the ledge and have a standard action left over this round (before we go to initiative). If you fail, you still make it to the ledge but can't do anything else either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Christabel



Posts : 174
Join date : 2008-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:45 am

Penelope goes to join the others. She makes the jump to the ledge effortlessly, passing the men. The archer turns around and lets off two shots with her bow, striking the two most damaged zombies.

OOC: Acrobatics 31, Initiative 28, Twin Strike - both hit. If one of the damaged zombies is the closest enemy, I'd like to use my Hunter's Quarry.


Last edited by Penelope on Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:45 am

The member 'Penelope' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 20, 18, 17, 20
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:45 am

shilsen wrote:
In short, make a DC 15 check and you can make it to the ledge and have a standard action left over this round (before we go to initiative).
How close are the nearest zombies, and does anyone/thing seem to be directing them?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:53 am

Mallus wrote:
How close are the nearest zombies, and does anyone/thing seem to be directing them?

The closest is 8 squares away at the start of the round. Since it seems you guys are all heading up the slope to the ledge, at the end of the round, the closest zombies will be at the bottom of the slope.

And no signs of anyone directing them. Just desire for a nice dragonborn/shadar-kai/human snack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:14 am

shilsen wrote:
... at the end of the round, the closest zombies will be at the bottom of the slope.

OK. Yatagan will use his remaining Standard action to hurl a hand axe at the nearest zombie.

To hit: 2+8 =10 (... and so it begins!)


Last edited by Mallus on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:14 am

The member 'Mallus' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 2
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:30 am

(OOC: Very well, then.... 28 on the Acrobatics check, 25 on the crossbow shot, 6 points +7 sneak attack. Yay me!)

Vox runs nimbly up the slope, somersaulting the final few steps and dropping into a crouch as he pulls a crossbow from his coat. He aims and fires, watching with satisfaction as the bolt vanishes into a corpse's eye socket.


Last edited by Rolzup on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:30 am

The member 'Rolzup' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'd20' : 15, 16

--------------------------------

#2 'd6' : 6, 1, 6
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:07 pm

Odanais grabs the magic coin and makes an acrobatic attempt to follow the others [18 + 2 + 1 = 21] and is surprised by his own gracefulness.

Initiative: 13 + 6 = 19.

Now, how close together are the zombies that are eight squares away?


Last edited by gridley on Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:07 pm

The member 'gridley' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 18, 13
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:20 pm

gridley wrote:
Now, how close together are the zombies that are eight squares away?

There are a number at that distance, coming from various directions, but you'd be able to get three of them with an area burst 1.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:14 pm

shilsen wrote:
gridley wrote:
Now, how close together are the zombies that are eight squares away?

There are a number at that distance, coming from various directions, but you'd be able to get three of them with an area burst 1.

I'll hit those three with a Scorching Burst then [15, 24, 24].


Last edited by gridley on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:14 pm

The member 'gridley' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 8, 17, 17
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:16 pm

Oh, right, damage: 10, 11, 11.


Last edited by gridley on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:16 pm

The member 'gridley' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd6' : 5, 6, 6
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Despite their varying degrees of agility, all four of the adventurers hurry up the slope, taking a stand on the ledge ten feet above. Spinning around as she reaches it, Penelope fires a pair of arrows, nailing a zombie through the head with each shot, while Vox's hand crossbow bolt drops a third less than a second later. While Yatagan's thrown axe has less luck, Odanais has even more (and spectacular) success. As he completes his spell, a burst of flame envelops three zombies, which stagger around and quickly collapse in charred heaps.

The other zombies ignore their fallen compatriots, though they have just enough sense to move around the burning zombies and continue towards their prey. They gather in a large crowd at the bottom of the cliff, slowly beginning to make their way up towards the ledge. Though their movement is slow and ungainly, it is inexorable, and while a few slip back, many begin to near those on the ledge.

OOC: Sadly, all of you (yes, even Yatagan) beat them on initiative, so all of you go first. Go ahead and post. Don't worry about order.

As for the situation, all four of you are on a ledge ten feet above the ground. There's enough space for all of you to stand on it and attack, and due to the slope and the facing, no more than six enemies can get at the four of you at the same time (and they can't flank you). There are 12 zombies left, most of them clustered at the bottom of the slope.

Initiative order: Penelope, Vox, Odanais, Yatagan, Zombies


Last edited by shilsen on Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:51 pm

The member 'shilsen' has done the following action : Dice Roller

#1 'd20' : 3, 4

--------------------------------

#2 'd20' : 3, 19, 4, 18, 16, 11, 4, 12, 16, 5, 11, 16, 17, 9

--------------------------------

#3 'd20' : 10, 6, 2, 17, 3, 9

--------------------------------

#4 'd6' : 5, 1, 6, 4, 4, 4
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Into the Pit   

Back to top Go down
 
Into the Pit
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Port :: The Game Itself :: Tales-
Jump to: