The Port

This is what happens after a world ends.

HomeGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

O brave new world, that has such people in't!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:50 am

gridley wrote:
"So," says Odanais, continuing to sweep dead rats out the door with his thunderwaves, "shall we fortify our armaments with a bit of silver?"
"Splendid idea Mr. Dare. We'll need a quantity of alchemical silver, rat poison and pyrotechnic rockets, err, just in case." After a moments thought he adds, "And we should see if Mr. Pitir has any enemies or rivals in the area."

Yatagan walks back to a table covered with ink-stained parchments. With a sour look he grabs the page he working on, what was to be the centerpiece of his contributions to the goblin rights movement, an arousing protest song called 'We Shall Overcome', which he was struggling to repurpose for the purpose of venerating the Miracle Pig. He flips the sheet over and begins writing on the back.

"It seems we have much to do and should do it in the proper order. I'm starting a list. Didn't Artichoke used to say something about the value of organization?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:01 am

Mallus wrote:
"It seems we have much to do and should do it in the proper order. I'm starting a list. Didn't Artichoke used to say something about the value of organization?"

Somewhere, sitting over a refreshingly calm and peaceful breakfast, Artichoke wonders why he feels a sense of irony.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:20 am

Quote :

"Arti-who? Oh, you mean that bossy fellow that used to live in Treasure's bedroom? You know, I think he did."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Christabel

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:35 am

After an initial shriek, Penelope regains her composure as the rats swarm out of the exit. Sappho, meanwhile, sits in a corner of the tavern, having a field day with a pile of rats she caught. The archer grimaces at the sight but decides to not interfere with tabby's fun.

"Sorry. I didn't think he'd do that... I'm never letting someone off with a warning again," she says. Penelope shakes her head regretfully, then pauses to consider the various things they need to do. "We need to visit Clagoff and Clarissa Glossop, so put that on your list. Personally, I want to take care of this Clagoff first. I hate being threatened by brutish idiots."

gridley wrote:

"Arti-who? Oh, you mean that bossy fellow that used to live in Treasure's bedroom? You know, I think he did."

Hah, I love that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:52 pm

gridley wrote:

I must sadly admit, that is truly brilliant.

Penelope wrote:
Hah, I love that!

But that doesn't mean you need to encourage him, dammit!

So, what's your next move, people?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:56 pm

Penelope wrote:
"I'm never letting someone off with a warning again," she says.
That raises some troubling ethical questions say Yatagan silently. To himself. Without even a slight movement of the lips.

Quote :
"We need to visit Clagoff and Clarissa Glossop, so put that on your list. Personally, I want to take care of this Clagoff first. I hate being threatened by brutish idiots."
"Ms. Glossop first, I should think. Perhaps we can get an advance from her. If, that is, her 'business' is of suitable moral character." While the Dragonborn made many great discoveries during the long run of their empire, irony was not among them. "Then back to Five Fathoms Market, for silver and poisons. Oohhh, and more fireworks." Yatagan scribbles busily. "Lastly to Clagoff's ship. We'll need some time to work out the one-act play."

Yatagan gets up, list in hand, and turns to leave, "Ah, but what of Treasure? She won't be safe here with us gallivanting around the Port. Heyoka, fetch the Piggurat!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:19 pm

Mallus wrote:
Yatagan gets up, list in hand, and turns to leave, "Ah, but what of Treasure? She won't be safe here with us gallivanting around the Port. Heyoka, fetch the Piggurat!"

OOC: Actually, the PCs would know that there's no chance in hell they'd be able to get into the Sway of Medallion with a pig in an, ahem, piggurat. It would be hard enough to get her into the better parts of town, i.e. most places beyond the Shambles, Stagger, Gog-Magog Station and Hereafter. The Sway tends to be very strict on keeping riff-raff off its streets, and though it's not official, that likely includes riff-raff with a big pig.

You could always 'coincidentally' leave Heyoka and El behind to guard her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:28 pm

shilsen wrote:
The Sway tends to be very strict on keeping riff-raff off its streets...
How are we going to get in then?

Quote :
You could always 'coincidentally' leave Heyoka and El behind to guard her.
A fine suggestion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:29 pm

gridley wrote:

OOC: My, that does solve the problem, doesn't it? Brilliance....

"Piggurat?" Vox quickly raises a hand. "No, no, don't tell me. I'm sure that it will speak for itself. I do feel obliged to point out that the Market is Fair Folk territory. And Jimmy Half-A-Step has already shown an interest in you people...in us, rather, gods help me."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:32 pm

Mallus wrote:
How are we going to get in then?

You have Glossop's letter, which she asked you to bring along.

Quote :
A fine suggestion.

Just being helpful. It has absolutely nothing to do with a future adventure where you return home to find the pig gone and have to rescue Treasure along with the shifter and the dwarf. Nothing at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:59 pm

OOC: And to make it an official suggestion...

IC: Agenbite, who has been keeping a ear on the conversation, calls from the bar, "You guys aren't paying me enough to be guarding the damn pig! So if you're leaving it here when you go out, someone better be babysitting it." He reaches behind the bar and produces a battered broom and mop. "Oh, and there's ankle-deep rat-poop in the cellar too. I'm too busy with the bar, so..."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:15 pm

Quote :

Just being helpful. It has absolutely nothing to do with a future adventure where you return home to find the pig gone and have to rescue Treasure along with the shifter and the dwarf. Nothing at all.

Well, we're leaving Heyoka and El behind to guard the pig, but we're leaving the cat behind to guard Heyoka and El!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:28 pm

Rolzup wrote:
I do feel obliged to point out that the Market is Fair Folk territory. And Jimmy Half-A-Step has already shown an interest in you people...in us, rather, gods help me."
"If Half-A-Step wants to talk to us he can attack us in broad daylight like everyone else" says Yatagan irritably as he stops to amend The List.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:29 pm

gridley wrote:
Well, we're leaving Heyoka and El behind to guard the pig, but we're leaving the cat behind to guard Heyoka and El!
Now that's a good idea!

OK, so are we off the Glossop Manor?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:40 pm

Mallus wrote:

"If Half-A-Step wants to talk to us he can attack us in broad daylight like everyone else" says Yatagan irritably as he stops to amend The List.

"Fair enough, fair enough," Vox agrees, checking his various weapons.

Snapping his fingers, he bends over and grabs one the remaining rat corpses. Grimacing slightly, he produces a small sack and drops it in. "Might come in handy," he say defensively, in response to the various looks he recieves. "You never know."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:58 pm

Quote :

"Indeed," agrees Odanais, buttoning up his bloodthread waistcoat, "the nerve of these people!"

Quote :
Snapping his fingers, he bends over and grabs one the remaining rat corpses. Grimacing slightly, he produces a small sack and drops it in. "Might come in handy," he say defensively, in response to the various looks he recieves. "You never know."

OOC: Now you're thinking like a member of this party!

Quote :
OK, so are we off the Glossop Manor?

Fighting back the dread he feels at returning to the neighborhood where he grew up and at the distinct possibility of passing by the Dare family's stately home, so haunted as it for him by the disappearance of his sister, Odanais nods.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:05 pm

gridley wrote:
...the Dare family's stately home...
"A serious house on serious earth it is,
In whose blent air all our compulsions meet,
Are recognised, and robed as destinies"

Hmmm, perhaps that should be 'disrobed' in Odanais's case.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:38 pm

Mallus wrote:
gridley wrote:
...the Dare family's stately home...

Hmmm, perhaps that should be 'disrobed' in Odanais's case.

"If only that so many dead lie round."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:35 pm

gridley wrote:
"If only that so many dead lie round."
As if the thought of Odanais fucking his sister wasn't creepy enough...

So shil, the League puts on its idea of finery and blunders into the Sway of Medallion. Seeing as quite a few the Port's named personages seem interested in us, do we run into Medallion?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:23 pm

gridley wrote:
Fighting back the dread he feels at
returning to the neighborhood where he grew up and at the distinct
possibility of passing by the Dare family's stately home, so haunted as
it for him by the disappearance of his sister, Odanais nods.

Thanks for that little titbit. What to do with it now? Hmm...

Mallus wrote:

I would have gone for "In Medallion did Odanais once a stately pleasure home decree", but Larkin works a little better.

Quote :
So shil, the League puts on its idea of finery
and blunders into the Sway of Medallion. Seeing as quite a few the
Port's named personages seem interested in us, do we run into Medallion?

We shall have to wait and see. It depends on random chance and how many different plot hooks I'm tempted to cram in at once.

And on we go...

The non-pig-guarding members of the League make their way towards the Sway of Medallion, passing through the upper edge of Five Fathoms Market but not entering the market itself. If any of Jimmy Heatshimmer's thugs* see them go, they take no overt action, and the adventurers enter the Gaze or Watchtower District and head northeast.

Even though they are at the far end of the district from it, off to the east they see the Watchtower, standing at the edge of the river Livia as it enters the Port's bay. The huge structure, a carved representation of humanoid arms, towers above the waterfront. At the top, it cups an enormous eyeball which floats a few inches above the stone, swiveling back and forth as it gazes endlessly off into the Aster Sea. Smaller examples of the eye are visible on a couple of the people they pass by, a pair of people (presumably members of the Order of the Watch) walking by wearing at least a dozen each.

The Gaze features a number of well-made buildings and some of the inhabitants are comfortably upper middle-class, but it compares poorly with the district to the west. The Sway of Medallion at first glance seems to contain only mansions, their upper storeys reaching above the long gray walls which join up with each other to present a long barrier to the rest of the Port. Wherever a street passes into the Sway from the Gaze (and, to the south of the Sway, from Gog-Magog Station), there is a conveniently placed watch-house.

A couple of watchmen stroll over as the League reaches the border of the Sway, their expressions polite but wariness in the eyes which run professionally over the weapons carried by the adventurers. "Hello, folks," says the one in the lead. "Here to see someone in the Sway?" His partner stands back a little so that she can watch all of the group.

* OOC: Just thought of something. Vox had Heyoka carry the body of the man he killed to the Hall. What did you do with it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 pm

shilsen wrote:
I would have gone for "In Medallion did Odanais once a stately pleasure home decree", but Larkin works a little better.
I didn't have to change a word of the Larkin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:48 pm

shilsen wrote:
* OOC: Just thought of something. Vox had Heyoka carry the body of the man he killed to the Hall. What did you do with it?

Vox will cast Gentle Repose upon it, and store it somewhere relatively safe until he can find someone willing to interrogate the corpse. Alas, it's beyond his current level of ability.

"Here on business," Vox says mildly, and indicates Yatigan. "He's got a letter and everything."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:25 pm

shilsen wrote:

Hehe...

shilsen wrote:

A couple of watchmen stroll over as the League reaches the border of the Sway, their expressions polite but wariness in the eyes which run professionally over the weapons carried by the adventurers. "Hello, folks," says the one in the lead. "Here to see someone in the Sway?" His partner stands back a little so that she can watch all of the group.

OOC: Is this the usual drill upon entering the Sway? Or is this a recent development?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:30 pm

gridley wrote:
OOC: Is this the usual drill upon entering the Sway? Or is this a recent development?

No, that's pretty standard. There's a larger watch presence in the Sway than anywhere else in the Port, and even a special detachment of the Governor's minotaur guards. They are generally discreet enough to not get in the way of the inhabitants, but when people like the PCs show up, questions will always be asked before they're allowed in, and messages will often be sent out to keep an eye on them (partly so that they aren't constantly stopped by the watch).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:23 pm

Yatagan strides right up to the watchmen, his bearing confident, the din his armor makes on the well-paved streets just this side of legal considering the rather draconian noise statutes in the Sway. He holds the lady's missive plainly in hand. Yatagan smiles widely, which is to say, wide enough that he could fit the head of one of Sidney Distaff's smaller flunkies into his mouth with ease.

"We have an appointment at the Glossop estate. Can you point the way?" says Yatagan in a basically pleasant tone that's just abrupt enough to suggest that he belongs here among the aristocrats.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O brave new world, that has such people in't!   

Back to top Go down

O brave new world, that has such people in't!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next