The Port

This is what happens after a world ends.
 
HomeGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 A day of rest.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: A day of rest.   Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:59 pm

You are all level two now, so please update your PCs when you get the chance. Or, in John's case, post your character....

There's going to be a full day before Distaff contacts you next, so riddle me this: What do you intend to do with that day? Visit the Temple of the Eroded God, give some poetry readings, shoot arrows at random strangers?

This you know: Six different members of the society were targeted last night, and only two of those people (including Jobbernowl) managed to survive. The attackers were apparently all mercenaries of various origins; who did the hiring is currently a matter of fevered speculation.

There's a lot of tension in the air right now; the Staggers holds the Port's largest population of goblins, and they're all feeling rather threatened right at the moment. In all likelyhood, the presence of magistrate Henry Distaff and his baliffs are the only things keeping matters from erupting into open violence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:10 am

<Continuity Police>

The Magistrate is Henry Scatter.

The head of the Driftglass Society is Sidney Distaff.

</Continuity Police>
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:38 am

In the morning, after prayers and whatnot, Yatagan will check on the prisoner. If he's still alive, he'll prepare for him a breakfast of fresh water and oatmeal, to which he'll add a small dollop of the Radiant Seed of Justice, in hopes that it will improve his moral character.

Yatagan will then busy himself making his own repast; poached eggs, crisp bacon, and a side of still living, broken-backed mice. He'll forgo coffee in favor of a cup of Governor's Blend tea, served with salt and clotted cream.

If and when Penelope, and the the rest of the League, join him for breakfast he'll congratulate them on not murdering a helpless man in his sleep.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Tue Nov 25, 2008 12:02 pm

Artichoke, after having taken a careful inventory of all that the group collected from the attackers (OOC: Hint, hint!), joins the others at breakfast. When it comes to the plan for the day, he says, "I'd like to find out a little more about what's going on before we dispose of our prisoner. Asarlai, could you do a little checking on the following things: The mercenaries who're attacking the goblins, especially the Dragon's Fang idiots we fought; the Temple of the Eroded God and what's going on there; the dead guy at the Breakers. Meanwhile, we'll sell off the items we obtained. I can take care of that, but I wouldn't mind some company. I don't think any of us should be moving around alone right now. We can all meet back here at noon and then deliver our 'guest' to his original Temple."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:50 pm

shilsen wrote:
I can take care of that, but I wouldn't mind some company. I don't think any of us should be moving around alone right now.
"I'll go with you to Five Fathoms, Captain. I know a few merchants who'll offer me a good deal in exchange for not... proselytizing near their wares".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:23 pm

Mallus wrote:
<Continuity Police>

The Magistrate is Henry Scatter.

The head of the Driftglass Society is Sidney Distaff.

</Continuity Police>

Damn my plot dyslexia.

shilsen wrote:

Artichoke, after having taken a careful inventory of all that the group collected from the attackers (OOC: Hint, hint!), joins the others at breakfast.

Done and posted.

shilsen wrote:

....Asarlai, could you do a little checking on the following things: The mercenaries who're attacking the goblins, especially the Dragon's Fang idiots we fought; the Temple of the Eroded God and what's going on there; the dead guy at the Breakers....

In order....

The Dragon's Fang is a group of kobolds that serve the dragon Fulgarite, who resides within the library district. That is, at least, their claim -- he's never made any public statement acknowledging this. Nor has he ever bothered to deny it. They're a fairly large group, and known for being competant and largely dependable mercenaires.

Two other groups have been identified: The Sons of Kwaalish (Warforged who were originally built for aquatic work) and a pack of assassins known as the Happy Monday Society. The former are disciplined soldiers, the later are martial artists who kill with their bare hands.

The Temple of the Eroded God is looking for their renegade priest (a fellow named Sebastian Chuckfarthing) with a sort of frantic dignity. He made off with a rather tremendous amount of money, and Archprelate Andrealphus is not at all happy about the situation. The God has not yet made His feelings known.

And this much is becoming known about the breakers: A man died the other day, his hammer literally shattering in his hands and tearing his body to shreds. Another breaker somehow managed to vanish, along with whatever it was that the dead man broke his hammer upon. Inquiries are being made.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:30 am

Once the group has gathered and discussed whatever they have learned, Artichoke rubs his forehead thoughtfully. "I think the first thing we should do is head to the Church of the Eroded God and hand over our prisoner. Once we have that taken care of we can decide what to do about the rest."

Unless there are any arguments, Artichoke gets ready and prepares to leave with the others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:57 am

Yatagan excuses himself for a few minutes 'to make himself presentable'. When he returns, he says "Let me speak first once we get to the temple. I'm know a little about their customs and respectful forms of address."

OOC: Religion +6

You all notice that Yatagan's armor is slightly more burnished than usual, and with relief also notice spots of metal polish that Yatagan missed, not some other burnishing fluid of greater religious significance to the Dragonborn.

"When it comes to churches, I know how to work a room". Yatagan flashes a warm smile thankfully free of rodent bones.

OOC: Using his new utility daily, with Asarlai at his side, his Diplomacy is +15
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:06 am

The temple is led by the Archprelate, who is addressed as such, while his direct subordinates are simply Prelates. Other members of the clergy are addressed as either brother or (in very few cases) sister.

Supplicants are obligated to make an obeisance before the Eroded God, and offer compliments on His appearance, as well as that of the temple, before making entreaties. He rarely acknowledges those who come before Him, but will occasionally speak in a tongue that only those who have achieved the rank of Prelate can interpret.

Donations of cash are, of course, expected of all supplicants.

*****

Two men, dressed in robes not dissimilar to those worn by the men who attacked you on the previous morning, stand to either side of the Temple's entrance. Unlike your attackers, though, the cloth covering their faces is entirely blank.

As you go ascend the stairs, the men slam the butts of their spears upon the ground, striking metal plates which ring with surprising resonance, bow, and gesture towards the interior of the temple.

"Enter and be blessed," they say together, in slightly muffled voices. "Please remove your shoes upon entering, and take care not to stain the carpets." They return to their guard positions.

Another man, dressed in robes of slightly higher quality, is waiting just inside, holding a wooden box. "You may place your shoes in the box yonder," he says, "And tell me, good sirs, what brings you to this most holy place on this day?"

He shakes the box, ever so gently, with a clinking noise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:04 pm

Mallus wrote:
Yatagan excuses himself for a few minutes 'to make himself presentable'. When he returns, he says "Let me speak first once we get to the temple. I'm know a little about their customs and respectful forms of address."

OOC: Religion +6

"Same here," says Artichoke, with a small chuckle. He reaches into a pouch and pulls out a series of folded parchments, most of which seem to have a symbol on the top. "I've been reading up on the local religions, and some of the older ones."

OOC: Religion +7, now that I picked up Jack of All Trades.

Quote :
OOC: Using his new utility daily, with Asarlai at his side, his Diplomacy is +15

Show-off Razz

Rolzup wrote:
"Enter and be blessed," they say together, in slightly muffled voices. "Please remove your shoes upon entering, and take care not to stain the carpets." They return to their guard positions.

Artichoke's brow furrows a little at the men's words, as if recalling something he had forgotten. Then he quickly reaches out to the side, to grab Penelope's arm. "No, Penelope," he says just as swiftly, "You don't need to remove your shoes. The polite man didn't mean it. Why don't you - and Heyoka - keep an eye on the cart?"

Quote :
Another man, dressed in robes of slightly higher quality, is waiting just inside, holding a wooden box. "You may place your shoes in the box yonder," he says, "And tell me, good sirs, what brings you to this most holy place on this day?"

He shakes the box, ever so gently, with a clinking noise.

Artichoke grins broadly, his teeth showing like a shark which has spotted a particularly juicy meal. "I believe we have something that you have misplaced. If you would accompany us outside please?"

When they exit the temple, Artichoke steps up to the cart which Penelope and Heyoka are standing near and, with just a little bit of an unnecessary flourish, pulls off the tarpaulin covering it. Beneath, gagged and looking very much the worse for wear, is the unfortunate survivor from the breakaway cult. "Yours, I presume?" asks Artichoke. Coincidentally, a small bag appears in his hand and he gives it a shake, producing a clinking sound.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:20 pm

Ack! Simultaneity! Okay, editing events...

Rolzup wrote:

"Enter and be blessed," they say together, in slightly muffled voices. "Please remove your shoes upon entering, and take care not to stain the carpets."
"May your faces remain expressionless forever" says Yatagan in a chipper tone. Upon entering the temple, Yatagan prays for his words to have the grace of angels. OOC: he uses Astral Speech.

Quote :
He shakes the box, ever so gently, with a clinking noise.
As Artichoke proceeds to ask for a donation of gold in return for his considerably greater one of flesh, Yatagan goes inside and pays his respects to the god. He stoops, grunts, and otherwise struggles to remove his boots while leaving on the bulk of ironmongery. Setting his axe down next to his boots, Yatagan approachs the massive chair upon which the Eroded God sits in apparent boredom.

"Nice place" he says in a loud voice. Looking up at the Eroded God he adds, "Say, have you lost weight?"

He then struggles further to kneel down, touching his snout to floor in reverence.

Rejoining the rest, Yatagan deposits a handful of gold coins in the collection box. "We've heard about your troubles and we'd like to help".

OOC: Yatagan is turning on the charm. Feel free to roll some dice for me whenever the occasion warrants.


Last edited by Mallus on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:41 pm

Mallus wrote:
As Artichoke proceeds to make a donation of half an ounce of gold...

OOC: You wish! The bag was Artichoke asking for a donation for returning the guy, not offering any.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:55 pm

shilsen wrote:
OOC: You wish! The bag was Artichoke asking for a donation for returning the guy, not offering any.
You don't waste any time, do you? Nice (I edited my post to reflect what you actually wrote).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:06 pm

Mallus wrote:
You don't waste any time, do you? Nice (I edited my post to reflect what you actually wrote).

Thanks. Artichoke would figure that if we're expecting them to pay us, it doesn't make sense for us to be paying them. Plus if they really try to take money off us, Penelope might shoot someone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:10 pm

shilsen wrote:
Artichoke would figure that if we're expecting them to pay us, it doesn't make sense for us to be paying them.
That's reasonable, but Yatagan sincerely believes churches operate on the same principle as brothels (pay a little money, get a little succor). Failure to drop some coin, even if you don't attend their service, is simply bad form.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:29 pm

shilsen wrote:

When they exit the temple, Artichoke steps up to the cart which Penelope and Heyoka are standing near and, with just a little bit of an unnecessary flourish, pulls off the tarpaulin covering it. Beneath, gagged and looking very much the worse for wear, is the unfortunate survivor from the breakaway cult. "Yours, I presume?" asks Artichoke. Coincidentally, a small bag appears in his hand and he gives it a shake, producing a clinking sound.

"Well I will be damned."

The prelate shakes his head. "Lo and behold, a lost lamb has been returned to the flock. Just as foretold...."

He tucks the box under his arm with a sigh. "Doubtless there's a story here? Well, I'm not the one to hear it. Would you mind bringing this fellow inside, while I go and fetch the Archprelate? He'll want to have words with you, and with our friend here."

The bound man, visibly trembling, whines a bit through his gag. The prelate pats him on the head. "Oh, no, never fear. He's a forgiving one, by and large, you know that."

He pauses on the stairs, and turns back to Artichoke. "I mean it about the shoes, though. Forgiving, yes, but He does have His foibles."

Mallus wrote:

As Artichoke proceeds to ask for a donation of gold in return for his considerably greater one of flesh, Yatagan goes inside and pays his respects to the god. He stoops, grunts, and otherwise struggles to remove his boots while leaving on the bulk of ironmongery. Setting his axe down next to his boots, Yatagan approaches the massive chair upon which the Eroded God sits in apparent boredom.

"Nice place" he says in a loud voice. Looking up at the Eroded God he adds, "Say, have you lost weight?"

Standing, the God would probably be about 20' tall. Seated as He is, He is still a fairly awesome sight. He's sprawled back on a marble throne, clutching a enormous cask of boiling ale in one hand, the vapors from which are coiling about His featureless head.

On an elevated stage, a half dozen bored looking women are dancing, and occasionally removing an item of clothing.

As Yatigan enters, He straightens a little in His throne, and passes one hand back across His head.

"Abbabgobbamuuggaworgleduddapogengrumpicweilbagoodablegged. Burrumpuggeg."

The prelate dozing on a padded bench by the God's feet sits up, and barely manages to avoid toppling to the ground.

"The God speaks!" he calls out, frantically. "Ah...ah...'Greetings, brother. I offer My apologies for the trouble, and assure You that no offense was intended. The skeins of Fate are twisted, for She is'...ah...'...a woman of questionable virtue. Make Yourself at home, and would You like something to drink?'"

The priest is looking about frantically as he speaks, trying to determine exactly what the hells is going on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:07 pm

Rolzup wrote:
"Abbabgobbamuuggaworgleduddapogengrumpicweilbagoodablegged. Burrumpuggeg."
Yatagan, ever the artist, will instinctively whip out his journal and and attempt to record the god's mumblings, for use in some future work of epic doggerel. While doing so he'll mutter --respectfully-- under his breath, "Box-god, can you understand what He's saying?"

Quote :
"Ah...ah...'Greetings, brother. I offer My apologies for the trouble, and assure You that no offense was intended. The skeins of Fate are twisted, for She is'...ah...'...a woman of questionable virtue. Make Yourself at home, and would You like something to drink?'"
OOC: is the prelate addressing Yatagan, or Yatagan first and then his deity?

Yatagan will nod at the prelate in a friendly manner, but keep his attention on the god. "You have lost weight. Is that a light beer you're boiling?"

Quote :
The priest is looking about frantically as he speaks, trying to determine exactly what the hells is going on.
OOC: Yatagan will search his memories for the stories of the Eroded God actually talking, ie try to determine what the hells is going on.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:05 pm

Rolzup wrote:
The priest is looking about frantically as he speaks, trying to determine exactly what the hells is going on.

"Thank you," says Artichoke. "I believe we can provide you some help regarding the recent schism in your church. But someone else can probably explain this better. Yatagan, care to fill him in on what happened?" He smiles in a friendly manner and steps out of the way, ceding the floor to the paladin.

OOC: Aid Another on Diplomacy for Yatagan (made it on the first roll, so he gets a +2).


Last edited by shilsen on Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:05 pm

The member 'shilsen' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 15, 5, 17, 3, 8, 2, 7, 12
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:08 am

OOC: Huh. The dice roller actually works. That's sure convenient.

Mallus wrote:

OOC: is the prelate addressing Yatagan, or Yatagan first and then his deity?

He doesn't really appear to know -- he's just repeating what the God said, more or less verbatim. By the end of his speech, he looks as though he's come to the conclusion that Yatigan is being addressed, seeing as how there's nobody else present, and is more than a little baffled by this.

The box remains silent...although it does seem to quiver a little as the Eroded God speaks.

(Where is Yatigan storing it, anyway? The possibilities are endless, and largely revolting.)

"Balahumbaramuggudagashtiganor."

"Ah, um, 'And just a word of friendly advice: You can't trust anyone in this dungheap of a city.' Oh, now, I say, that's hardly fair, oh Resplendent One!"
shilsen wrote:


"Thank you," says Artichoke. "I believe we can provide you some help regarding the recent schism in your church. But someone else can probably explain this better. Yatagan, care to fill him in on what happened?" He smiles in a friendly manner and steps out of the way, ceding the floor to the paladin.

"You can explain to me, if you would," says a voice. A tiefling in very fine robes has emerged from the depths of the temple and bows deeply to the God, his ovine horns (which appear to have been gilded) glittering in the firelight.

"You're looking well, your Benevolence. As always, you shine like a beacon in the darkness, illuminating the shadowy corners of our very souls."

He straightens up, and turns to Artiochoke. "Please, let us go to my office. Too many ears hereabouts." With another bow to the God, he pivots on his heel and strides brusquely away, clearly expecting the party to follow him.

The Archprelates office is quite sumptious, and markedly less tacky than the temple proper. The toefling settles himself into an overstuffed chair with a deep sigh. "I am Archprelate Andrealphus," he says mildly, "And you appear to have created quite a stir. Bringing us a refugee from divine justice, and provoking a speech from the God in the bargain."

He spreads his hands. "What's this all about, then?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:07 pm

Rolzup wrote:
The Archprelates office is quite sumptious, and markedly less tacky than the temple proper. The toefling settles himself into an overstuffed chair with a deep sigh. "I am Archprelate Andrealphus," he says mildly, "And you appear to have created quite a stir. Bringing us a refugee from divine justice, and provoking a speech from the God in the bargain."

He spreads his hands. "What's this all about, then?"

Artichoke turns to Yatagan and motions for him to do the speaking. Despite the gesture, when the paladin relates the story, Artichoke makes certain to add his two coppers. He keeps the story focused on the attack by the breakaway sect and on the efforts that the League made to keep the man alive and bring him to the temple, trying to keep the focus away from the god in the box.

OOC: Keep aiding another on Yatagan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:47 pm

Rolzup wrote:
He doesn't really appear to know -- he's just repeating what the God said, more or less verbatim. By the end of his speech, he looks as though he's come to the conclusion that Yatigan is being addressed, seeing as how there's nobody else present, and is more than a little baffled by this.
Yatagan considers --briefly-- if the Eroded God is addressing the Dragon Within him. After tamping down a brief flare-up of Draconic hubris, he decided that the seated deity is speaking to the god in the box he stuffed into his codpiece...

Quote :
(Where is Yatigan storing it, anyway?
... his codpiece being more-or-less empty, since Dragonborn keep their generative organs recessed, like every race smartly crafted for battle.

Quote :
He spreads his hands. "What's this all about, then?"
Yatagan takes a deep breath, then speaks in a deep, resonant voice that projects a certain certainty. The voice he usually reserves for reciting the Dragon Catechisms and juried poetry competitions.

"Archprelate, these 'lost sheep' of yours have besmirched the good name of the Eroded God. They attacked my place of worship. They tried to steal what is not theirs. Worse, they claim the Eroded God sent them a vision instructing them to do so."

Letting that sink in a moment, Yatagan continues.

"We have returned the survivor, and the bodies of the dead for whatever rites you see fit to grant them. We ask that you honor your god by making recompense. We also ask that you grant us... satisfaction. Permit us to help bring the remaining heretics to justice. We have some insight into where they may be hiding."

OOC: Yatagan will back up Artichoke whenever he interjects -- Diplomacy +17 w/Artichoke's help.


Last edited by Mallus on Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin
Admin


Posts : 759
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:47 pm

The member 'Mallus' has done the following action : Dice Roller

'd20' : 10, 9, 14, 17
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://theport.forumotion.net
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:00 pm

While the others are conversing with prelates, Odanais finds his attention more rapt by the bored dancing girls. Attempting to slip away from the crowd, he wanders over to within speaking distance of one of them. "I admire your dancing, my dear. And the lovely way your delicate ankles taper into those divine feet. In fact, you remind me of someone I used to know...."

He will then try to flirt with her, maybe make a date, casually drop some of of his knowledge about the religion she's working for [religion +10], and try to work her for any good gossip about that tiefling prelate or what the church has been up to lately.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:14 pm

gridley wrote:
He will then try to flirt with her, maybe make a date, casually drop some of of his knowledge about the religion she's working for [religion +10], and try to work her for any good gossip about that tiefling prelate or what the church has been up to lately.
This sounds like a Skill Challenge. The League vs. the Temple of the Eroded God.

If Odanais picks up the temple stripper, +1 success...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: A day of rest.   

Back to top Go down
 
A day of rest.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Rest Bay Wind Meter
» REST IN PEACE SPECIAL OPS AND NAVY SEALS
» Utopia Back rest
» Driver Foot Rest is a POS
» Honda Silverwing butt rest to Backrest Conversion Kits Available

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Port :: The Game Itself :: Tales-
Jump to: