The Port

This is what happens after a world ends.
 
HomeGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Oswald Jobbernowl

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Oswald Jobbernowl   Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:30 am

OOC: As I remember, albeit dimly, you were on your way to Sidney Distaff's home, to progress from there to the abode of Oswald Jobbernowl. I cannot for the life of me remember what you decided to do with your captive in the interim; was he locked up with the corpses? And was there anything else you wanted to do first?

It's close to nightfall, but the streets remain crowded -- and there are more than the usual number of goblins about, even now. Henry Scatter's bailiffs, most of them ogres or bugbears of the larger sort, are an obvious presence, looming about and keeping things more-or-less peaceful by their very presence.

Not too peaceful, of course -- at least one fellow is dragged down an alley by a pair of bugbears who deemed him insufficiently respectful, and Asarli is nearly trampled when an Ogre runs by in pursuit of the children who've pelted him with rotten vegetables...but all in all, despite the almost palpable tension in the air there is surprisingly little open conflict.

Artichoke's Army draws more than the usual amount of attention; it's become public knowledge that you're working for the Driftglass Society, and your passage is occasionally heralded by cheers and spontaneous applause from groups of goblins. One fellow, in fact, follows you for several blocks, playing a tune on a flute that walks a fine line between a rousing Sousa march and 'Yakety Sax', before vanishing back into the crowds.

Distaff's guards, who are even more abundant now, usher you into his presence. He looks increasingly drawn, and as he raises an arm in greeting you can all see that Distaff's arm is studded with several more circular wounds, many of them almost healed.

"I have money," he says, a little hoarsely. He produces a leather sack, knotted and sealed with a blob of lead marked with Distaff's insignia. "500 gold to start, with more to come if you keep Oswald alive through the night. And more still, if you're willing to provide more service over the next few days. Will this suffice, Artichoke?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:44 am

Rolzup wrote:
I cannot for the life of me remember what you decided to do with your captive in the interim; was he locked up with the corpses?
Since we didn't have time to visit the main temple of the Eroded God, we stashed one live-but-broken-legged heretic, one freshly murdered-in-cold-blood heretic, and several killed-in-honorable-combat heretics in the wine cellar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:36 pm

Rolzup wrote:
OOC: As I remember, albeit dimly, you were on your way to Sidney Distaff's home, to progress from there to the abode of Oswald Jobbernowl. I cannot for the life of me remember what you decided to do with your captive in the interim; was he locked up with the corpses?

What Scott said.

And was there anything else you wanted to do first?

Pray?

Quote :
"I have money," he says, a little hoarsely. He produces a leather sack, knotted and sealed with a blob of lead marked with Distaff's insignia. "500 gold to start, with more to come if you keep Oswald alive through the night. And more still, if you're willing to provide more service over the next few days. Will this suffice, Artichoke?"

Artichoke keeps a calm demeanor, but it's hard to mask the light in his eyes. Decent earnings with this bunch are few and far between, and the expenses somehow always seem to mount up. Plus there is more to consider besides immediate greed. I could probably get a little more out of them, but it's a good start for now, and we might make more later if we stay in their good books. And with crazy cultists coming after that damn god-in-a-box, we could use a few allies.

"Yes," Artichoke nods, as he takes the sack and weighs it in his hand, before sticking it somewhere inside his armor. "Thank you, Sidney, that'll do. Is there anything else you need to let us know before we head to Oswald's house?"

OOC: Artichoke would already have filled in the other PCs about what he has seen of Oswald's place.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:25 pm

"It wasn't easy," Distaff says as he hands the sack to Artichoke. "I had to...to...call in several...um...several favors?" He looks genuinely confused for a moment, as though he's trying to remember something, before shaking his head and wincing. "I need sleep," he mutters sourly.

"There's nothing more I need to tell you about Jobbernowl, really. He's a...difficult man, though, I should warn you. 'Rough-hewn', I think the polite term would be."

Distaff shrugs, "Or something of an arsehole, if you want to use the vernacular. But he's devoted to the cause, and I trust him more than any other member of the Society." He seems quite genuinely sincere in this, and there's a certain tightness in his voice as he continues, "I don't want to see him -- and most certainly not his family -- hurt."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:18 pm

Rolzup wrote:
"It wasn't easy," Distaff says as he hands the sack to Artichoke. "I had to...to...call in several...um...several favors?" He looks genuinely confused for a moment, as though he's trying to remember something, before shaking his head and wincing.
Yatagan's forked tongue flicks out and tastes the air with suspicion. (Insight +6).

Quote :
"There's nothing more I need to tell you about Jobbernowl, really.
What odd phrasing, thinks Yatagan.

Quote :
Distaff shrugs, "Or something of an arsehole, if you want to use the vernacular. But he's devoted to the cause, and I trust him more than any other member of the Society." He seems quite genuinely sincere in this, and there's a certain tightness in his voice as he continues, "I don't want to see him -- and most certainly not his family -- hurt."
"You seem almost at odds with yourself Mr. Distaff. Is there something else on your mind?" says Yatagan in warm tone that mixes sympathy with veiled accusation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:14 pm

Mallus wrote:

Yatagan's forked tongue flicks out and tastes the air with suspicion. (Insight +6).

The air carries a tang of befuddlement, flavored with the faintest hint of fear...and an almost overwhelming stench of fatigue.

Mallus wrote:

"You seem almost at odds with yourself Mr. Distaff. Is there something else on your mind?" says Yatagan in warm tone that mixes sympathy with veiled accusation.

"Many things," he says with a sigh, half-collapsing back into a chair. "I've a terrible suspicion that I'm about to lose friends and comrades tonight, despite my best efforts. I've done all I could, but I feel that I'm standing on the edge of a precipice.

"It's not that I'm afraid of heights, you understand. I'm just not sure what lies at the bottom any more."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:20 pm

Rolzup wrote:
"Many things," he says with a sigh, half-collapsing back into a chair. "I've a terrible suspicion that I'm about to lose friends and comrades tonight, despite my best efforts. I've done all I could, but I feel that I'm standing on the edge of a precipice.

"It's not that I'm afraid of heights, you understand. I'm just not sure what lies at the bottom any more."

Artichoke nods sympathetically. "I understand. Remind me to give you a pamphlet of mine sometimes - How to Survive Stress, Longswords and Lay-Offs. But for the moment, we shall not disturb you any further. I know where Oswald's house is, so we won't need a guide, now that we have your letter."

Unless anything else comes up, Artichoke leads the members of the League outside. Once on the streets, he says quietly, "Penelope, Heyoka - could you two split up and accompany the rest of us at a distance? Preferably from a higher vantage point, like the rooftops, and ideally one ahead and one behind. I'd like to have someone keeping an eye out for anyone ... well, keeping an eye out for us. And for gnomes."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:43 pm

Rolzup wrote:
"I've a terrible suspicion that I'm about to lose friends and comrades tonight, despite my best efforts.
Yatagan, forgetting his accusatory tone like all the rest of his past indiscretions, says earnestly "Not the ones under my wing. I pledge my life in their defence, huzzah!"

On the march toward Oswald's home Yatagan will take point, loudly singing Dragonborn victory songs liberally interspersed pornographic religious hymns of his own devising. Obviously, he's trying draw attention to himself and away from our scouts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:04 pm

Odanais Dare emerges from the basement stairs, sleepy-eyed and forlorn, quietly breaking the wax seal on a new bottle of Elvish Brandy. A young woman follows him, an expression of horror frozen on her face. She stays close to Odanais, who seems to be hardly aware of her presence at all.

"By the Sphere of Annihilation, were you all aware that there are corpses in our wine cellar? I mean, even more than usual?" With an unseen hand, he draws out the cork from the bottle and pours a glass. "I'm afraid they gave my companion here a terrible fright."

Odanais pours a glass for the young lady who stares at the dark red liquid, with wide, trembling eyes, barely able to hold it, then pours himself one. And then another.

"Anyway, I see some of you are wearing coats. Are we venturing out somewhere? I could certainly use a promenade if you'd like company?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Atlatl Jones

avatar

Posts : 138
Join date : 2008-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:00 pm

shilsen wrote:
Unless anything else comes up, Artichoke leads the members of the League outside. Once on the streets, he says quietly, "Penelope, Heyoka - could you two split up and accompany the rest of us at a distance? Preferably from a higher vantage point, like the rooftops, and ideally one ahead and one behind. I'd like to have someone keeping an eye out for anyone ... well, keeping an eye out for us. And for gnomes."
Oh yes sir! Heyoka's tail, poking out the back of his scale hauberk, starts wagging. Then he climbs up the windows and walls of the next house over, scaring whoever's inside. "I'll be extra-special stalky" he says as he crunches noisily on the roof tiles.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Christabel



Posts : 174
Join date : 2008-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:40 pm

Penelope eyes Heyoka as he takes position, somewhat amused despite herself. Hmm. Like anyone isn't going to notice a shifter jumping from rooftop to rooftop. Our captain isn't so bright.

Turning to Artichoke, she says, "I'll go ahead of the group and keep an eye out. I suspect if Heyoka did that... well, you know." The young archer punctuates her vague statement with a shrug, then adds, "Here's to hoping there's some action."

With that, Penelope walks off into the shadows, glad that she'll be able to get away from the group. And possibly shoot things. Win win.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Sun Nov 02, 2008 8:14 pm

gridley wrote:
"Anyway, I see some of you are wearing coats. Are we venturing out somewhere? I could certainly use a promenade if you'd like company?"

"Yes, we could definitely use your skills today, Adonais," says Artichoke. On the way, he explains to the mage what he missed, covering everything from the discovery that Yatagan's box contains a small god to the fact that various cults are becoming aware of its existence to the recent attack on the group by a cult.

"It was the cult-members you found down in the cellar," he explains. "The guy with the broken legs is one of the two we captured alive. The other one," he sighs softly and glances at Penelope, "Somehow contrived to get shot in the face while tied up and helpless."

Atlatl wrote:
Oh yes sir! Heyoka's tail, poking out the back of his scale hauberk, starts wagging. Then he climbs up the windows and walls of the next house over, scaring whoever's inside. "I'll be extra-special stalky" he says as he crunches noisily on the roof tiles.

Penelope wrote:
Turning to Artichoke, she says, "I'll go ahead of the group and keep an eye out. I suspect if Heyoka did that... well, you know." The young archer punctuates her vague statement with a shrug, then adds, "Here's to hoping there's some action."

With that, Penelope walks off into the shadows, glad that she'll be able to get away from the group. And possibly shoot things. Win win.

Artichoke simply nods. Hopefully Heyoka will attract enough attention to take some eyes of the group, and Penelope will be kept happy enough on her lonesome to not shoot anyone on the way. Hopefully.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:34 pm

The streets are emptying out swiftly now, more so than is usual for nightfall. Artichoke and company are still getting admiring looks for the increasingly few goblins they pass, but the admiration seems tempered somewhat by fear.

A group of about ten people follow closely behind you for several blocks, talking loudly and nervously, clearly feeling that your proximity will keep them safe from any marauders. They scatter about five minutes before you reach the Jobbernowl home, some few of them pressing small gifts of food into the hands of various members of the party.

The guards, a pair of particularly large bugbears, are delighted to see you, and take their leaves nearly as soon as you appear.

"The hardest thing," one of them confides to Odanais in passing, "Is going to be not killing that Oswald yourself. He's got a face that cries out to be introduced to a mace, if y'see my meaning. Good luck to you all, with that and with whatever else happens."

He raps quickly on the door with the butt of his axe, and then he and his partner stride rapidly away, neither bothering to look back.

The door flies open mere seconds later, apparently by a very large crossbow. The goblin barely visible hehind the weapon lowers it slowly.

"Oh. Wonderful. Distaff's clowns have arrived. The children will be delighted."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:34 pm

Artichoke waits silently and patiently until the goblin, presumably Sidney, lowers the crossbow. While doing so, he considers what would be the politest response, until he remembers that he's being paid by Sidney Distaff, not this joker. Artichoke's lips part in a genuine and wide smile, and then just a little further, turning it into a sarcastic grimace. "Yes, very droll. Now may we come in? And are you the Oswald we're here to protect? I can't imagine why anyone would want to kill you."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:36 pm

"No one likes the truth-tellers," Jobbernowl sneers. "But come in, I suppose. That one, though!" He points at Yatigan, "I've heard about him. Keep him and his...fluids off the furniture. There's kids that live in this house, dammit!"

It's a nice house, in truth. Rather larger than the family needs, but it seems that it's been functioning as a sort of halfway-house for members of the Driftglass Society.



"I assume that you people have some sort of plan?" Jobbernowl asks irritatedly, "Or do you intend to just stomp about and pretend to look frightening?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:01 pm

Rolzup wrote:
"I assume that you people have some sort of plan?" Jobbernowl asks irritatedly, "Or do you intend to just stomp about and pretend to look frightening?"
"Do you have a basement, good sir?" asks Yatagan with polite good humour. Inside, his dragon soul roars a challenge and then threatens to eat Oswald, in no uncertain terms.

"If so, perhaps you and your family would care to hide there while we mete out justice to your foes." Yatagan thinks for moment, then adds "I mean, carefully mete out... a modest amount of justice. Only so much as necessary... and not on the furniture. But just in case... have you rags and oil soap?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:08 pm

Rolzup wrote:
"I assume that you people have some sort of plan?" Jobbernowl asks irritatedly, "Or do you intend to just stomp about and pretend to look frightening?"

Man, I am really beginning to dislike this guy. Artichoke considers putting Penelope on Oswald-watching detail, since that would mean a 50-50 chance at best that he makes it through the night. Then he sighs inwardly and decides to resist - for the moment. "Yes, we do," he says dryly, "But first I'd like to check out your house and its layout. So," he smiles brightly, and very obviously insincerely, "How about a tour?"

OOC: How many people in the family, John?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:38 pm

OOC: There's Oswald himself, his wife, his elderly mother (even more cantankerous than her son), and two children. There's also a maid, who occupies the servant's room on the first floor.

He gives you the nickle tour, complaining all the while. The rest of the family makes a point of staying out of your way.

"...and no one, NO ONE is driving me out of my own damned house, do you hear me?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:29 pm

Rolzup wrote:
"...and no one, NO ONE is driving me out of my own damned house, do you hear me?"

"Yes, I see," says Artichoke, his tone even dryer than usual. Once he has had a good look at the place, he rubs his prematurely balding forehead thoughtfully, muttering half to himself, "Pity there isn't a cellar, since we could have bunged ... um, never mind."

After a few more minutes of thought, Artichoke finally says, "All right. Here's the plan. And no, you don't have to leave, Oswald. Just give up a floor of your house for this night. I'd like you and your family to collect whatever you'll need from the floor above, and move into the two bedrooms on the first floor. It'll be uncomfortable, of course, but better uncomfortable than dead. My allies and I will occupy your living room and watch the top of the stairs, so anyone trying to get to you is going to have to come through us."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Atlatl Jones

avatar

Posts : 138
Join date : 2008-08-27

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:34 pm

When Oswald says, "Or do you intend to just stomp about and pretend to look frightening?" Heyoka almost responds, "yeah, that's exactly what we intend to do. If it ain't broke, don't fix it." But he catches a glance from the corner of Artichoke's eye and keeps quiet.

As Oswald continues to speak, Heyoka's expression goes from his usual vacant enthusiastic-dog expression, to confusion, to mild disbelief, to outright irritation

Finally he can't hold it in anymore. "Can I hit him?" Heyoka turns and says to Artichoke. "It'll be a lot easier to protect him if we just shove him in a sack in the basement."

"Just one hit, BAM: into a sack." Heyoka slams his fist into the other hand with his 18 strength as he says Bam.

"Please?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:21 am

Atlatl wrote:
Finally he can't hold it in anymore. "Can I hit him?" Heyoka turns and says to Artichoke. "It'll be a lot easier to protect him if we just shove him in a sack in the basement."

"Just one hit, BAM: into a sack." Heyoka slams his fist into the other hand with his 18 strength as he says Bam.

"Please?"

Artichoke grins and looks at Oswald, showing just a little more teeth than needed, for a long moment. Then he slowly shakes his head. "Sadly, I already considered it and there's a very good reason not to do it. It seems they have no basement. Sadly."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gridley

avatar

Posts : 900
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:21 pm

Overhearing the conversation, Odanais passes by them, whispering "I could shove some magic into his brain until he believes there's a basement."


Last edited by gridley on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rolzup

avatar

Posts : 799
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:52 am

Right, so, clearly I picked up City Desgner over the weekend....



...not that this is all that useful, but y'know, it was fun to play with.

Jobbernowl rolls his eyes. "Yes, yes, very intimidating. Consider me cowed."

"And your 'plan' makes sense, I suppose," he says grudgingly, turning to Artichoke. "We can board over the windows in those rooms for the night. You're not going to destroy this place, though. No cutting balistraria in the walls, or making pit traps in the living room. I know what you people are like."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mallus

avatar

Posts : 1428
Join date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:24 am

Rolzup wrote:
No cutting balistraria in the walls, or making pit traps in the living room.
"I suppose that means no fire oil?" asks Yatagan, feigning innocence, or perhaps pyromania. Having finally had enough of the goblin he adds, "We hold with those who favor fire. The idea that ice is just as good is poppycock."

Yatagan then grins at Jobbernowl, a gesture of questionable warmth made even more so by the sight of a cracked mouse skull stuck between two of his teeth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
shilsen

avatar

Posts : 1078
Join date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:21 am

Rolzup wrote:
Right, so, clearly I picked up City Desgner over the weekend....

...not that this is all that useful, but y'know, it was fun to play with.

So I see Smile

Quote :
Jobbernowl rolls his eyes. "Yes, yes, very intimidating. Consider me cowed."

"And your 'plan' makes sense, I suppose," he says grudgingly, turning to Artichoke. "We can board over the windows in those rooms for the night.

OOC: What size are the windows in those rooms? I picked them because the map of the house made it look like they have no windows or negligible ones.

Quote :
You're not going to destroy this place, though. No cutting balistraria in the walls, or making pit traps in the living room. I know what you people are like."

Artichoke looks around at the members of the League and slowly shakes his head. "No, you really don't. But let's get to work, shall we? A quick supper and turning in early is a good idea - well, turning in for you and your family, I mean. We have a long night ahead of us."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Oswald Jobbernowl   

Back to top Go down
 
Oswald Jobbernowl
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» JFK - Why Oswald is guilty.

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Port :: The Game Itself :: Tales-
Jump to: